Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Armando on Radio 2 talking comedy

Started by MR FISH, February 05, 2004, 07:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR FISH

Armando Iannucci is on BBC Radio 2, Saturday 7 February, choosing his favourite comedy in the series Talking Comedy.  I think this is the only chance to hear this as I can't find a link to their listen again feature on the web site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/listings/day.shtml?day=saturday

Hans

Quote from: "MR FISH"Armando Iannucci is on BBC Radio 2, Saturday 7 February, choosing his favourite comedy in the series Talking Comedy.  I think this is the only chance to hear this as I can't find a link to their listen again feature on the web site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/listings/day.shtml?day=saturday

Is this likely to be captured by anyone?  I'll be at work when it's on but it sounds quite interesting.

Darrell

Wahey!

Talking Comedy can be quite charming if there's somebody decent on it. There's a terrific moment in one with Dave Gorman (of all people) talking really passionately about Absolutely in a particularly endearing way.

What clips are we expecting on this then? Burkiss Way, Hitchhiker's Guide and Billy Connolly are my safe bets.

benthalo

I'll put money on Radio Active.

Armando's presenting the sitcom nonsense on Saturday night too, covering Yes Minister for sixty minutes.

Darrell

Quote from: "benthalo"I'll put money on Radio Active.

Bloody hell, how did I forget this? Transcribing bits of it all week must have dissolved my brain.

phillippa_maul

**BUMP!**

A reminder that Armando is also on 'Britain's Best Sitcom'  tonight (BBC2 - 8PM) .

Here's the blurb from The Radio Times:

"Armando Iannucci puts forward the case for the political comedy.
Writers Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn are reunited with Derek Fowlds, the only surviving member of the main cast, to celebrate the relationship between MP Jim Hacker (Paul Eddington) and the machiavellian civil servant Sir Humphrey Appleby (Nigel Hawthorne)."

CK1

Managed to catch the last 15 mins of "Talking Comedy".

Heard clips of  "On The Hour" (the Morris/Patridge "cream is good for you" handover), also Father Ted, some American film comedy, a US stand up doing gags about how barbers can't be honest.

Most of it was pretty good.

Iannucci said if he does one more thing before he dies he'd like to make a film of "just jokes".

Said he liked the Airplane films and some Woody Allen.

Iannucci came across quite well although it was one of these programmes where the interviewer's questions are edited out and you only hear the answers. Also, after each clip Iannucci gave a "laugh" which sounded slightly false to say the least.

Looking forward to tonight's "Yes Minister" analysis.

Darrell

Talking Comedy is a long-running thing, it's not like a special.

And the laughs are genuine - they always play every clip and then let the presenter's laughter bleed in at the end. There's no interviewer as you mention either, it's all off-the-cuff chatter with little preparation.

Jemble Fred

It's good to hear he's a fan of 'A Little Bit of Fry & Laurie', especially the Peter & John sketches. Cue a Stuart & Gordon clip.

Harumph.

The Plaque Goblin

I noticed he said a nice thing about Steve Coogan. What's supposed to be the current state of their relationship?

Oh, what was that about a comedy character he used to do?

fbb bastard

just a bloody decent bloke....as enjoyable an half hour of clip and lip you could possibly ask for

arnold brown and him meeting occasionally for a tea.....priceless

the genuine pride in his voice when he talked about working with steve,chris et al at the start and knowing they would go on and do great things

top stuff and no mistake

CK1

Quote from: "Darrell"Talking Comedy is a long-running thing, it's not like a special.

And the laughs are genuine - they always play every clip and then let the presenter's laughter bleed in at the end. There's no interviewer as you mention either, it's all off-the-cuff chatter with little preparation.

OK! I just thought bits of it sounded slightly false. I've never heard the programme before so maybe I'm just not used to the style.

Darrell

The main problem with Talking Comedy is that they always use the same clips to represent people's choices e.g. loads of people choose Woody Allen and they always play that exact same clip each time...

The only other one I've encoded is the Neil Innes one, back from when they used to play out with some bizarre African-style music for no reason. I've MP3'd that twice actually - once off an off-air tape, and again when BBC7 repeated it. I have a few others downloaded - off-hand I can remember Lee and Herring, Rob Brydon and Dave Gorman, all of which I definitely heard on first transmission. I tend not to listen to Radio 2's Saturday 1-2pm comedy slot these days, which is a shame as this and It's Been a Bad Week are usually great.

cptwhite

Hehe glad I caught Armando last night putting forward the case for Yes, Minister, jolly good show :D

ApexJazz

Darrell; "Endearing" and "dave gorman" are incongruous....I've heard the Innes and Izzard Talking Comedy off mp3, and they both played Woody's kidnapping routine...it must be the one clip they always have on the desk. Blessed is soulseek, for I shall hear this soon.

Darrell

Quote from: "ApexJazz"Darrell; "Endearing" and "dave gorman" are incongruous....
Yeah, I know, but this is an exception - he gets all excited about it and everything, leaving you to think "well, maybe he isn't as bad as Hitler after all".

ApexJazz

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "ApexJazz"Darrell; "Endearing" and "dave gorman" are incongruous....
Yeah, I know, but this is an exception - he gets all excited about it and everything, leaving you to think "well, maybe he isn't as bad as Hitler after all".

"Hitler wasn't so bad....afterall, he only gave the orders."