Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:12:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"One for the treble, two for the bass..."

Started by mrpants, May 04, 2004, 11:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpants

Does anyone know what record that is from?

I've tried looking on www.the-breaks.com, google, various hippity hop web sites to no avail.

Everyone has heard it at some point in their lives but no one can tell me where I can grab a record with it on.

If anyone can help (Blue Jammer, I'm looking at you..) it would be greatly appeciated.

Ps.  It's not Davy DMX's "One for the treble" as that has an english girl saying it, I want the classic american (possibly black) male hip hop one, if you know what I mean.

Cheers.

mrpants

I just listened to the 12" of that Brand Nubian song and it's not it (still bought it though as it's pretty good).

I'm after the original, preferably acappella...

Regular John

Whodini - "Five Minute Funk" would be the original

falafel

There's a track sampling that on the first Freddy Fresh album - "The Last True Family Man".

Utter Shit

I wouldn't be too confident of any potential candidates for who originally used that line in a track, it's pretty generic...of the groups mentioned, the Brand Nubian one is oldest AFAIK, but I'm pretty sure Last Emperor used it at some point (which would be earlier), and I'm certain it was on a Pete Rock and CL Smooth track...might have been the remix of They Reminisce Over You, but not sure.

Vagueness ahoy.

blue jammer

I'm pretty sure it's on one of the Electro albums, and I'm lucky to have them all mp3'd, so I'll dig them out and have a listen.

Do you know the rest of the line that follows?

As I *think* it's something like,

One for the treble, two for the bass, come on ******* we're gonna rock the place

** not sure of the name used as my memory isn't the best...

dan dirty ape

Busy Bee used it a couple of times. Who knows who was the first, though. Some random guy who was never recorded rhyming at a block party? Kool Herc's mum?

Which bright spark originated 'throw your hands in the air, and wave em like you just don't care, and if you wanna rock with <insert name here> somebody say ohhh, yeeeah!'? If he'd copyrighted that he'd have made millions, same goes for 'if loving you is wrong I don't wanna be right'.

mrpants

It does appear on the Whodini track which predates Brand Nubian, trouble is that it's over a load of music.  I'm sure I've heard it as the intro to a song which the vocals clean.

The reason I want it is that I've just discovered the wonderful world of scratching (i finally got a 1210 after reading a thread about DJing on the old board) and I really want to embrace the cliché and have a go with this particular sample.