Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,495
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Muso] Mixing desk advice

Started by lazyhour, August 13, 2009, 03:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

I want to cunningly use the pre-send output to listen to what's going into the channel before I actually add it to the real mix.  I just want to use this feature as a monitoring tool.

NoSleep

You will be able to do that with an aux send, but it must be a pre-fade aux, and that isn't the default for an aux send. The default is post-fade, because if you have, say, an amount of reverb on the signal, you don't want the reverb to remain in the mix as you pull the fader down.
Now, as I understand, you will want to audition material before putting it into the mix, so that will not work. However, on some desks there is a switch that allows you to opt for pre-fade on some aux sends, usually parked next to the knob for the send.

lazyhour

That's just the answer I wanted to hear, and you've also just made sense of why the FX send would logically need to be post-fade.

So yep, this Behringer 1204FX unit can indeed toggle between pre- and post-fade aux out, so I think it does exactly what I want.

And it's only £100-ish from Thomann!

NoSleep

I keep bumping into more desks whilst answering your queries...

For around £185 you could have a Yamaha MG16/4 with both PFL solo and an aux send that can be toggled post/pre, and the good news is there are smaller models, with less than its 16 tracks, that are probably cheaper.

edit: the 12/4 might be a bit cheaper and has all the same facilities with only 12 channels.

lazyhour

Quote from: NoSleep on August 14, 2009, 02:34:31 PM
I keep bumping into more desks whilst answering your queries...

For around £185 you could have a Yamaha MG16/4 with both PFL solo and an aux send that can be toggled post/pre, and the good news is there are smaller models, with less than its 16 tracks, that are probably cheaper.

edit: the 12/4 might be a bit cheaper and has all the same facilities with only 12 channels.

These MG units look great, but it seems they're now discontinued, and I'm struggling to find any of the smaller (MG12/4) models for sale.