Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:51:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Overkill has overly killed this song...

Started by alan nagsworth, August 20, 2009, 05:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

...and so I can no longer enjoy it.

A thread for songs you once loved but they were over-played by THE MAN (BOOOOOO) and now you hate them, possibly because of hearing them too many times, or because you hate that other people started loving the music you have cherished for years. It's okay: Neil agrees with me on that latter point, we're all honest people here.

Yeah yeah, I know Green Day are apparently shite, right, but I think their first four albums are ace. 'Dookie' is great stuff but seriously, I skip 'Basket Case' every single damn time because it has been butchered by young Green Day fans who think they're well oldskool innit byt digging any deeper than 'American Idiot' for, oh let's see, the most popular tune pre-'American Idiot' they ever recorded?! Piss off.

For another obvious one I realised recently, I can't stand 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' but the rest of 'Nevermind' is actually pretty good.

Less obvious examples when I don't feel like a tranquilized grizzly bear... but 'til then, she's all yours, guys.

Rev

Pretty much everything by the Beatles.  In a Fawlty Towers sense, I was bored through over-exposure long before I could appreciate any of it.

Hang on, though:  Green Day have surely never been as popular as they were they were with Dookie, have they?  I've been assuming that American Idiot did quite well, considering, but sold about half as many copies at best.  I must be out of touch.

Also:  'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is insufferable both because of its ubiquity and because of it being a bit shit.  It's the best thing on 'Nevermind', though, because that album is complete shit and was somehow 'recorded' at the wrong speed.  Seriously, give it another listen and see if you don't agree with me.  'In Utero' is the one decent album Nirvana put out, but it's slightly hampered by being mainly shit.

This doesn't have too much to do with the subject at hand does, it?  Ah well.  At least I got in before some cunt said hallelujiah.

lipsink

Wonderwall.

When I first heard Noel Gallagher play the song on the Glastonbury coverage on Channel 4 in 95 I was blown away. And I thought it was gonna be another one of his great acoustic hidden treasure B-sides. Obviously that didn't happen.

boxofslice

A bit obvious but Song 2 by Blur. Its ubiquitousness has rendered it a jingle to my ears now. For shame.

niat

One Day Like This by Elbow

I liked it when I first heard the album, I liked it when I heard it live the first couple of times, but by God it's been everywhere and now I skip it when listening to the album and generally try to avoid it. Which is not easy.

lipsink

Quote from: boxofslice on August 20, 2009, 10:05:56 AM
A bit obvious but Song 2 by Blur. Its ubiquitousness has rendered it a jingle to my ears now. For shame.

Wow, good one. When I first heard that song it was incredible.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: niat on August 20, 2009, 10:14:31 AM
I liked it when I first heard the album, I liked it when I heard it live the first couple of times, but by God it's been everywhere and now I skip it when listening to the album and generally try to avoid it. Which is not easy.

Yes, this is the first thing I thought of. I am even considering renaming it in my itunes so that it doesn't play when I listen to the album. They do epic very well, stuff like Grace Under Pressure and Station Approach, but when it is used so liberally it becomes a real pain.
I remarked to Mrs Townmouse just a couple of days ago that it seems Elbow have just sold the song wholesale to the BBC, as they seem to be using it on 50% of their output.

The Smiths 'This Charming Man'
This video for this song seems to be the one they trot out when any documentary or video channel wants to say something about The Smiths. Whenever a band picks The Smiths on those MTV2 Takeover shows, they always play the video for this song. It has got to the point where the song actually starts to grate on me, and I never thought I would hear myself saying that about any Smiths songs.

Joy Division 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'
Much the same as the above. It astonishes me that documentaries will show the video for this when they have such a treasure trove of fantastic underplayed footage to use - such as the stuff they did for Something Else, or even Anton Corbjin's Atmosphere video. I would say that I actually hate hearing this song now.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Rev on August 20, 2009, 08:56:29 AM
At least I got in before some cunt said hallelujiah.

I'll see you that and raise you Hoppípolla.

Still a great track, though, and I've yet to find myself skipping it.

Not an example of overkill as I was never head over heels for it in the first place, but I've never felt the love for (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.  Part of me recognises that it is a damn good single - I just rarely ever feel the urge to see it through to the end.  That said, I will occasionally have a boogie to it if I hear it, so perhaps I've just been wearied of it by lazy sub-editors:  "Stones give Satisfaction", "Stones fail to give Satisfaction", "Mick needs Satisfaction, says Jerry", etc.

Backstage With Slowdive

I was thinking earlier that I am now bored stiff by The Stone Roses, but I think it might just be all the nonsense surrounding them, which gets more ludicrous by the year. It has never been true that they made the greatest album ever, they just made a very good one.

Cathal Coughlan has a great anti-Lou Reed rant on the sleeve of Come Back My Children, saying veneration has made the VU "now bore the hole off me".

DocDaneeka

Their cover of Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon has none of the emotion and feeling of the Neil Diamond original.

non capisco

I think I could happily go the rest of my life without hearing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' again, or seeing the bloody video which isn't even the first music video made by a long chalk.

Guy Garvey is undoubtedly a fine songwriter but to me, from the first time I heard this song it seems as though Garvey had this in mind to be his 'Bittersweet Symphony', the lighters in the air moment at festivals and gigs, the song that will serenade Sporting montages and the finale of Big Brother.

'Enter Sandman' is the song killed by overkill for me, some rock songs ('Paradise City', 'Ace of Spades') will never grow tired, but I really can't stand Sandman no more.

chand

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 20, 2009, 02:18:54 PM
Guy Garvey is undoubtedly a fine songwriter but to me, from the first time I heard this song it seems as though Garvey had this in mind to be his 'Bittersweet Symphony', the lighters in the air moment at festivals and gigs, the song that will serenade Sporting montages and the finale of Big Brother.

I know what you mean, although he'd already done that even more obviously with 'Grace Under Pressure', going as far as to actually include the Glastonbury crowd singing the "We still believe in love so fuck you" refrain at the end on the recorded version.

lipsink

'Starman' by David Bowie. I just can't be bothered with that song anymore.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 20, 2009, 02:18:54 PM

In fairness, I don't think he quite predicted how ubiquitous the song would become, certainly not how much it would be used in the media. However, I do think it sounds very much like a song he knew would be a real like favourite, and probably a good gig ending song. I would suggest that they are probably somewhat embarrassed by its overuse, because the sheckles they earn from it being played is really not worth the knock-on effect of their hardcore fans hating the song.

rjd2

The following for me were ruined by overplay from "the man".
Blur-Coffee and Tv
Radiohead-Creep
Beyonce- Crazy In Love

ajsmith

Quote from: Rev on August 20, 2009, 08:56:29 AM

Hang on, though:  Green Day have surely never been as popular as they were they were with Dookie, have they?  I've been assuming that American Idiot did quite well, considering, but sold about half as many copies at best.  I must be out of touch.

I'm afraid you must be: I think a lot of people were hoping/assuming Green Day would be quickly forgotten 2-3 hit teeno pan flashes, but while they weren't looking they morphed into Gen Y's heirs to U2/Springsteen anthemic stadia blotation.

Brundle-Fly

I nominate Lady Marmalade by Labelle.  It's clearly fantastic but ruined by a thousand shimmying, chicken head bobbing drunks, thinking that they're being 'sassy' on the dance floor at wedding receptions and the like.

Lee Van Cleef

I thought this was going to be about an American Thrash Metal band....

Anyway, Metallica's "Enter Sandman" is a big one.  You can't go to a rock/metal night at a club without hearing this and frankly, it's not even that good.

rjd2

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on August 21, 2009, 09:40:35 PM
I thought this was going to be about an American Thrash Metal band....

Anyway, Metallica's "Enter Sandman" is a big one.  You can't go to a rock/metal night at a club without hearing this and frankly, it's not even that good.

The same argument could be mad for Sweet Child O' Mine.

23 Daves

Pulp's "Common People".  I'd be surprised if my Last Fm profile registers even one single listen, despite the fact that Pulp are one of my favourite bands.  I'm not disputing it's a brilliant tune with fantastic lyrics, but I first taped it off the radio in 1994 when Pulp were in session, so by the time 1995 rolled around (with its admittedly superior single version) I'd already listened to it to death.  Then it became a hit, then it didn't go away for the next three or four years, and every club I went into played it at some point.  I feel as if I know every nook and cranny of that tune, and I don't need to hear it anymore.

Similar Britpop-era over-exposures are "Wake up Boo", "Girls and Boys", and "Alright", although strangely I have to report that I do sometimes listen to "Country House", the one single from that period everybody's now supposed to hate. 

Squink

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 20, 2009, 12:28:54 PMI've just been wearied of it by lazy sub-editors:  "Stones give Satisfaction", "Stones fail to give Satisfaction", "Mick needs Satisfaction, says Jerry", etc.

I've never met a sub-editor who wrote headlines. I blame Clinic for this misunderstanding.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: 23 Daves on August 21, 2009, 10:53:56 PM
Similar Britpop-era over-exposures are "Wake up Boo", "Girls and Boys", and "Alright", although strangely I have to report that I do sometimes listen to "Country House", the one single from that period everybody's now supposed to hate. 

It was interesting (or, at least, semi-interesting) to note the rapture with which Country House was received at a recent Blur show I attended.  More so than just about any track.  Alright, included in said welcome reception was a tacit 'fuck you' to Oasis and all their fans, but it was no less evident for all that.

A very melancholy song.

Quote from: non capisco on August 20, 2009, 01:44:55 PM
I think I could happily go the rest of my life without hearing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' again, or seeing the bloody video which isn't even the first music video made by a long chalk.

Depends on your use of the word 'video', really.  BoRhap, as no-one except Queen's road crew ever really called it, does benefit from a clean pair of ears.  A few months back, on realising I'd not heard it for years, I gave it wee listen, and it really is a phenomenal song, overfamiliarity or not.

Admittedly, being a part-time Queen fan may taint that opinion.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Squink on August 21, 2009, 11:18:08 PM
I've never met a sub-editor who wrote headlines. I blame Clinic for this misunderstanding.

I blame them as well. 

Not being a music journalist, I owe all my understanding on this topic to that Clinic single (you know the one).

If it makes any difference, I voted against them at the Glasgow 'In The City' where they first made their mark.

I didn't vote for Idlewild either.

chand

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 21, 2009, 11:27:31 PM
It was interesting (or, at least, semi-interesting) to note the rapture with which Country House was received at a recent Blur show I attended.  More so than just about any track.  Alright, included in said welcome reception was a tacit 'fuck you' to Oasis and all their fans, but it was no less evident for all that.

It's strange, I think it's because Blur seemed to dislike it so much and then have gone back to it, like when Radiohead stopped playing 'Creep' for years and when they occasionally play it now people love it. I never liked 'Country House' but for some reason I did find it oddly exciting when I was watching the Glastonbury coverage and they launched into it.

Actually, did Blur ever stop playing Country House or was it just the ridiculous video they disowned?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: rjd2 on August 21, 2009, 09:26:16 PM
Blur-Coffee and Tv

Ooooh I dunno man, if they play the full version, I can never tire of getting lost in that gorgeously hypnotic outro.

Heh, my dad and his missus walked down the aisle to this tune the other week. In addition to that, we then had to each be filmed miming a certain line from the song which will then be compiled in the correct order with the tune dubbed over the top... so I don't think I could ever listen to that tune on my own again. If my dad played it in my company, though, it'd summon up a lot of great memories.

imitationleather

I skip listening to it because Elbow are shit and can fuck off.

They can especially fuck off from the bloody Bestival line-up. It should have been Pet Shop Boys, for crying out loud!

alan nagsworth

So, you put the CD in, and then skip every track? I like your defiance!

imitationleather

I've paid real actual money for every single, EP and album by those bastards... They've got quite a back catalogue, na'll!

Still never heard a single track by them though.

alan nagsworth