Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Overkill has overly killed this song...

Started by alan nagsworth, August 20, 2009, 05:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boki

Quote from: rjd2 on August 21, 2009, 09:46:43 PM
The same argument could be mad for Sweet Child O' Mine.

It certainly would be mad. You never get tired of that one if you can do the Axl shimmy.

Anyway, back to the point - it's 'I Feel Love' for me, hands down.  Not a bad song at all, I just don't care if I never hear it again.  And I think Moroder's massively overrated (except for 'Together In Electric Dreams', but that would appear to totally be the Oakey show).

ajsmith

Quote from: chand on August 22, 2009, 12:00:20 AM
It's strange, I think it's because Blur seemed to dislike it so much and then have gone back to it, like when Radiohead stopped playing 'Creep' for years and when they occasionally play it now people love it. I never liked 'Country House' but for some reason I did find it oddly exciting when I was watching the Glastonbury coverage and they launched into it.

Actually, did Blur ever stop playing Country House or was it just the ridiculous video they disowned?

yes is was dropped on 1997 and (I think) 2003 tours, but played at the 1999 singles thing (obv) and this year reunion stuff.

The 'blow me out' refrain is especially brilliant when the oompah kicks back in and the horns start parping. Great contrast. Great songwriter, Albarn. I used to love Blur so BAD.

Famous Mortimer

Someone beat me to "Wake Up Boo", but it bears repeating: during my student years and a little after, every single radio station in the entire world, every pub jukebox, every party, seemed to be on a mission to play that song as often as possible. I didn't even like it that much in the first place.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: imitationleather on August 22, 2009, 04:29:35 AM
I skip listening to it because Elbow are shit and can fuck off.
They can especially fuck off from the bloody Bestival line-up. It should have been Pet Shop Boys, for crying out loud!

Laughing emoticon.

lipsink

'Everybody Hurts' by REM. I'm hesitant to listen to 'Automatic For The People' anymore because of this track and 'Man On The Moon' which has also been played out. It's a shame because it's possibly their best album.

23 Daves

Quote from: chand on August 22, 2009, 12:00:20 AM
It's strange, I think it's because Blur seemed to dislike it so much and then have gone back to it, like when Radiohead stopped playing 'Creep' for years and when they occasionally play it now people love it. I never liked 'Country House' but for some reason I did find it oddly exciting when I was watching the Glastonbury coverage and they launched into it.

Actually, did Blur ever stop playing Country House or was it just the ridiculous video they disowned?

I like the video, though!  I find something a bit grimy and warped about it.  I think I enjoy the whole thing now much more than I ever did at the time, because it got lost in the daft Blur versus Oasis battle, and was therefore deliberately sold as a knees-up pop hit when there's a lot more going on than that.  Nostalgia may also play a part in my judgement, admittedly.

Anyway, the key bit of the video for me is right at the end where after all the frolicking and jollity, the camera pans out from a filthy council estate tower block right near a major truck road with juggernauts rolling past (it also zooms in at the start).  I'm not a massive defender of Hirst at the best of times, but I liked the ludicrous nature of the video, sandwiched between an intro and outro of total bleakness.  There always seemed to be a bit more going on than "Page Three laffs". 

23 Daves

Quote from: boki on August 22, 2009, 05:11:39 AM
Anyway, back to the point - it's 'I Feel Love' for me, hands down.  Not a bad song at all, I just don't care if I never hear it again.  And I think Moroder's massively overrated (except for 'Together In Electric Dreams', but that would appear to totally be the Oakey show).

Oof!  I don't know if I can take that, Boki - I've been discovering lots of Moroder bits and pieces recently, and they've been blowing me away.  Some of his solo material can admittedly veer towards "Disco baby sexy baby hot" territory, but he was tremendously ahead of the game in pop terms.  You can hear large chunks of Pulp and Sparks in his earlier work (way before Sparks ever considered using him as a producer) and "I Feel Love" is a bit spectacular.

"Underdog" is also a little marvel - "the whores looked at me and started to laugh, so unfair...":  http://purepop1uk.blogspot.com/search?q=underdog

"Electric Dreams", on the other hand, is lacking in both imagination and foresight, and doesn't get my interest up in the slightest. 

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: lipsink on August 22, 2009, 11:03:20 AM
'Everybody Hurts' by REM. I'm hesitant to listen to 'Automatic For The People' anymore because of this track and 'Man On The Moon' which has also been played out. It's a shame because it's possibly their best album.

It's my fave all-time album but I do usually skip those two, just because they've been so overplayed.

I have a friend who was recently updating his facebook status at least twice a day, every day, to tell everyone about his love for 'Daniel' by Bat for Lashes, and that he was playing it on loop and watching the video on youtube over and over again. After about three weeks of this he posts a status update to say that he'd got 'bored of the song'. Why do people do this?? If I really love a song I'll make a conscious effort not to listen to it too much, as I want it to retain it's impact.

23 Daves

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 22, 2009, 02:26:55 PM
It's my fave all-time album but I do usually skip those two, just because they've been so overplayed.

I have a friend who was recently updating his facebook status at least twice a day, every day, to tell everyone about his love for 'Daniel' by Bat for Lashes, and that he was playing it on loop and watching the video on youtube over and over again. After about three weeks of this he posts a status update to say that he'd got 'bored of the song'. Why do people do this?? If I really love a song I'll make a conscious effort not to listen to it too much, as I want it to retain it's impact.

Oh, I don't know.  The first time I heard Wire's "Outdoor Miner" was when I brought home a cheap seven inch copy from a second hand record store.  I was so amazed by what I heard that I must have played it something like thirty times that day, and I wouldn't be surprised if I played it a hundred times over the course of that month.  And... right now, fifteen years later, it's number 3 in my hi-tech Last Fm chart from plays generated over the last 24 months.  If something's really good, it should never truly become boring to your ears.

The same rule did not apply to "The Size of a Cow" by The Wonder Stuff, which I played to death when I bought it, then got sick of after week two - but "Cow" isn't in quite the same league as "Miner".  (And you can put it on the list of things I don't care if I never hear again as well).