Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:59:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Photoshop Disasters

Started by An tSaoi, August 23, 2009, 02:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

I was going to post this in HS Art but 1. no-one goes there and 2. this isn't about 'shops you made yourself.

Seeing as the good people at Photoshop Disasters haven't replied to my emails (*sniffle*) - they're admittedly hopeless at it - I thought we could have our own thread. Rubbish film posters, terrible advertisements, lazy magazine airbrushing, bad composites, you name it. I want anything that looks poor considering it's a professional job, for example:

I took this one in an airport in Austria. Note that the girls on the left and right have (I think) the same hand, and the one in the middle seems to have extra fingers. The whole "elbow leaning over the banner" effect doesn't really work either. It makes you wonder why they photoshopped it, and why they couldn't just get the models to pose properly in the first place.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Are they the same person with different coloured wigs?

Saucer51

How airbrushing can apparently lie:

But this isn't an attack on one person. Because of the pressure, particularly upon women in the public eye, to conform to certain looks, who wouldn't want an airbrushing? But it's setting real pressure upon people. I'm quite sick of glossy magazine's that try to convince women that they are more than just an outer shell be hypocrits and take part in the airbrushing of it's covergirls. Lines and blemishes should be no bar to attractiveness. This belief needs to filter down to the media.

boxofslice

What about this one from a few years back.

An tSaoi

I love the way Firth is in completely different focus. And then of course there's the terrible hands. In fact, none of it works.

This one's pretty shite, but maybe that was deliberate:

Would it have killed them to put him in a variety of wigs?

Serge

What's going on here exactly? Can Ben Stiller not bring his own body along to photoshoots any more? Same question for Amy Adams by the look of it.

I was trying to find the poster that adorned bus shelters all over London earlier this year, but drew a blank. That had Ricky Gervais on (replaced by someone playing Napoleon for the french version, I see), and Steve Coogan and Owen Wilson were the same size as everyone else. But it still had that unreal 'pictures of half a dozen people from seperate photos slapped together to form an unrealistic looking gathering' effect, which drives me up the wall. 'The Accidental Husband' is also a very good example of this, which obviously annoyed boxofslice as much as it did me. Even from 100 yards away, those three people don't look like they should be in the same photo!

Don_Preston

An tSaoi

Quote from: Serge on August 23, 2009, 07:01:48 PM
Same question for Amy Adams by the look of it.

Doesn't even look like she brought her face along with her.

Quotereplaced by someone playing Napoleon for the french version, I see

I wonder why the French would choose Napoleon to sell the film. I appreciate that he was French, but isn't he seen as a bit of a bad guy? It would be like putting Hitler on the German poster (albeit less extreme). I haven't seen the film but I assume the character is a very stereotypical Frenchman. Haw he haw he haw!

Serge

I think this may be a bottomless well.

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 23, 2009, 07:10:14 PMI wonder why the French would chose Napoleon to sell the film. I appreciate that he was French, but isn't he seen as a bit of a bad guy? It would be like putting Hitler on the German poster (albeit less extreme).

That did strike me as well, funnily enough. Presumably the russian poster has somebody playing Stalin on it.

Prescription Dinosaur

Dane Cook, the guy in the middle, even went on a massive rant about it himself - link

Baxter

By the looks of it Napoleon is on the American poster too, perhaps it's more the case that Gervais replaced Napoleon on some posters because of the amazing draw he has in those box offices.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Night_at_the_Museum_2_poster.jpg

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 23, 2009, 07:10:14 PM
Doesn't even look like she brought her face along with her.
She looks more like Rebecca Front.

Serge

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 23, 2009, 07:34:14 PM
She looks more like Rebecca Front.

When I first saw the poster from a bus, I assumed it was Rebecca Front, but then thought, hang on, as much as I adore her, is she really likely to be in this film with a big enough role to be standing alongside Stiller on the poster?

I assume that whoever did the UK marketing thinks that Ricky Gervais on a poster will make people flock to the cinema. I like Ricky Gervais, and it didn't work for me.

Lt Plonker

I always thought that this one was the worst offender:

Colin Firth has the body of a shop window mannequin there.

rudi

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Lt Plonker on August 23, 2009, 09:27:12 PM
Colin Firth has the body of a shop window mannequin there.

And the hands of Robert Wadlow.

Jumble Cashback

Not many people realise that one of the things that makes Scarlett Johansson so desireable from a director's point of view is the versatility of the vertibrae and skin pigmentation in her neck; allowing her to perform seemingly inhuman poses like this.  It would appear also that, in relation to the size of her head, she has dwarf arms.  Quaid looks understandably confused, given that his head and body are clearly born of different mothers - and his collar, well that's just plain made-up from scratch.  In case you're thinking "Well, at least old Topher's pic hasn't been tampered with", you may be reckoning without some of the other, suspiciously similar pics for the same film...

Is there only one picture of Topher Grace in existence?  And did the cast ever actually meet during the production of this picture?  I guess the only way to find out would be to watch it, so it looks like I'll never know.

chand

Is there no way that promotional shots can be done while filming the movie, when you have all the actors there in the same room? Maybe it's impractical to get a proper location shoot, but surely they could at least take them to one side for an hour and get them to pose together in front of a green screen so that you can a) catch them with the same lighting and b) get natural poses rather than trying to Photoshop them up.

katzenjammer

My brother is a graphic designer.  He says that photographers these days are either shit, lazy or both, and rely on somebody to photoshop out any fuckups they make.  In fact many of them would not even be able to call themselves photographers ten years ago before digital cameras and photoshop were around.  As an example, the other day he was at a shoot and there was a tripod in shot, somebody offered to move it out but the photographer said not to bother because it could be photoshopped out later.  The result I guess is that the graphic designers really can't be bothered to turn out quality work as they would in effect just be trying to polish turds.

El Unicornio, mang

Also, whatever happened to film posters being hand painted? It seemed like up until the 90s they were all done this way.

I'd definitely take this

over this

Toad in the Hole

Quote from: Prescription Dinosaur on August 23, 2009, 07:24:32 PM
Dane Cook, the guy in the middle, even went on a massive rant about it himself - link

Kudos to Dane...
Quote from: Dane Cook
2. My head:
The left side of my face seems to be melting off of my skull. I guess I am looking directly into the Ark of the Covenant? Are they going for the bells palsy thing here? My left side looks like Britney Spears' vagina.
[...]
9. The cast:
Alec Baldwin is so fucking funny in this movie! Is he on the poster? I think so. He plays the wise talking plant Jason is clutching.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 24, 2009, 01:45:24 PM
Also, whatever happened to film posters being hand painted? It seemed like up until the 90s they were all done this way.

There's been at least one film this decade with a hand-painted poster:

I really like Drew Struzan's posters for Hellboy and its sequel, although I've only ever seen them for sale, and never actually up anywhere promoting the films:

But this is getting off-topic, so... um... look! Crappy Photoshopping!

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/2008/03/daily-fail-violent-vids-upsetting-our.html

Hot Towel

Saw this in Empire a while ago..

They removed the gun !

biggytitbo

Lt Plonker

Quote from: waste of chops on August 24, 2009, 02:49:24 PM
There's been at least one film this decade with a hand-painted poster:

And Indiana Jones of course!

I saw this on Apple Trailers last night:

Which is just wonderful, I thought!