Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photoshop Disasters

Started by An tSaoi, August 23, 2009, 02:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

I protest.  That is not a disaster.

Oh.

Wait.

An tSaoi

Somebody make a mong with Robert Downey Jr. in blackface and the caption "What do you mean, you people?"
Spoiler alert

Pwease?
[close]

Baxter

Oh wait.

Famous Mortimer

That deserves to be more well-known, it's a brilliant idea and mong.

rudi

Wadded Bliss

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on August 28, 2009, 03:48:46 PM
I dedicate this photoshop disaster to both baxter and blumf, my font identifying heroes

No, ^^ that.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: chocolateboy on August 29, 2009, 10:43:05 AM
Neil bin in?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=473
I think doing the Youtube hack - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=977 - would save a lot of pissing about, but I know sod all about doing it so I'll say no more.

chand

From the Mail, David Beckham confronted by a fan who is apparently being torn to pieces by the man behind him:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1200828/Beckham-backlash-American-dream-crumbles-U-S-fans-turn-disloyal-star.html

Ambient Sheep

Having now read the comments about that photo on the PSD blog, I have to reluctantly go along with the majority of them who say that, despite appearances, it (probably) isn't actually photoshopped.

What you think (and I thought) was the right-hand side of the fan's torso (left side as we see it) is actually the left leg of the bloke in yellow.  The fan himself is just standing back further than you think, and is leaning forward while his shirt's being pulled tight around him.

It's just an unintentional optical illusion; but it says a lot for the Mail's Photoshop reputation these days that everyone, including you, me and the PSD blog owner, jumped to the opposite conclusion.

Mr Colossal

I thought you were all being completely deluded for a second there and was thinking 'but the the sand... THE SAND!!'   it just takes a lot of fighting for your mind to see the alternative that is the leaning mans waistline starting from a point just behind the guy in the AC Milan shirts face, to the lower right.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Mr Colossal on August 31, 2009, 12:45:26 AM
I thought you were all being completely deluded for a second there and was thinking 'but the the sand... THE SAND!!'   it just takes a lot of fighting for your mind to see the alternative that is the leaning mans waistline starting from a point just behind the guy in the AC Milan shirts face, to the lower right.

It's like a real life Magic Eye. Took me bloody ages to get it.

gmoney

Strange that, I can't see it looking like a bad photoshop. I was wondering what the hell chand was on about.

Ambient Sheep

I think what generates the illusion is the way the little lump of tracksuit-bottom around the left knee of the bloke-in-yellow matches the dent in the restrained-fan's torso, in a South-America-fits-into-Africa style; it makes it look as if it's just one area of black torso that's somehow been torn apart.

It doesn't remind me so much of a Magic Eye, as one of those old-woman/young-lady illusions.  When I first saw the photo above, my brain screamed "torn apart!!" at me, and even while reading the PSD comments I couldn't see it any other way and I was thinking the nay-sayers were idiots.  Finally, I saved out a copy of the photo, zoomed right into it, and then, once I could see what was going on, it clicked, my brain flipped over, and now I have to struggle to see the torn version, as the leaning-over version now looks completely natural to me.

It'd be an interesting photo to use in a psychology test, to see what percentage of the population saw "torn" rather than "leaning" as their first impression; and perhaps correlate that to whether they're Photoshop-literate or not, and so forth.

Cerys

Magritte would have been proud.  Although he probably wouldn't.

Angst in my Pants

I think you're all wrong, he's actually from the Brotherhood of Dada.

El Unicornio, mang

It looks like they photoshopped this pic quite badly though, putting the "extreme orange hue" on Victoria Beckham

Serge

Christ, she looks like a sixty year old there!

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Quote from: chand on August 31, 2009, 12:01:27 AM
From the Mail, David Beckham confronted by a fan who is apparently being torn to pieces by the man behind him:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1200828/Beckham-backlash-American-dream-crumbles-U-S-fans-turn-disloyal-star.html

I don't fucking understand this at all.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on August 31, 2009, 04:33:33 PMI don't fucking understand this at all.

The Daily Mail have a history of putting terribly photoshopped pictures on their website.  (In their defence, it appears that at least in some cases it's because the picture is cropped for the print edition but then the full version automatically finds its way onto the web.)  For example, there's...

...the phantom hand:

(discussed here)

...or the inter-dimensional Anne Diamond:

(discussed here, an example of the cropping-for-print phenomenon I mentioned above)

...or the psychedelic rugby players (the more you look at this one the weirder it gets):

(discussed here).

So when the photo above hit the Daily Mail website, many people looked at the slightly strange pose and assumed it was another photoshop disaster in that the bloke in black seems to have a jagged rip out of the middle of his torso and missing legs, rather than what's actually the case, that he's just standing back with his legs hidden behind someone else, and leaning forward a lot.

However it seems a sizeable minority of people, e.g. gmoney and perhaps yourself if I read your comment correctly, see it the correct way first time and wonder what on earth we're all on about.

Hope that helps.  And that that's what you were asking about in the first place.

chand

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 31, 2009, 12:20:12 AM
Having now read the comments about that photo on the PSD blog, I have to reluctantly go along with the majority of them who say that, despite appearances, it (probably) isn't actually photoshopped.

What you think (and I thought) was the right-hand side of the fan's torso (left side as we see it) is actually the left leg of the bloke in yellow.  The fan himself is just standing back further than you think, and is leaning forward while his shirt's being pulled tight around him.

It's just an unintentional optical illusion; but it says a lot for the Mail's Photoshop reputation these days that everyone, including you, me and the PSD blog owner, jumped to the opposite conclusion.

Yeah, I see that now you mention it, you're right. I think it's the fact that he's leaning so you can't see his legs that makes it look like one of the Mail's disasters.

Cambrian Times

Not really a photoshop disaster, it's just I've always wanted to know where Steve Mackey's legs are.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Cambrian Times on September 01, 2009, 12:01:00 AMNot really a photoshop disaster, it's just I've always wanted to know where Steve Mackey's legs are.

If you zoom into it, you can just about see his left leg between the shins of the second girl from the right.

Cambrian Times

Second girl? As far as I know there is only one girl in that picture.

neveragain

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 25, 2009, 10:00:58 PM

Am I the only one who thought the (removed) fellow was a portly Nelson Mandela?
He even looks photoshopped in the first one, his jaw's at a funny angle.

PaulTMA

buttgammon

I think that just might be a tad NSFW...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Cambrian Times on September 01, 2009, 12:41:31 AMSecond girl? As far as I know there is only one girl in that picture.

OK then, the second person along from the right, who happens to be a girl.