Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

End of Oasis?

Started by Backstage With Slowdive, August 24, 2009, 08:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backstage With Slowdive

In NOTW yesterday there was a little item about some starlet wanting to see their end-of-tour Milan show next week as she'd heard it was going to be the end of the band as well.

Later we hear that they pulled the V Festival due to Liam being "ill".

I know they've fell out before, but really, they might as well pack it in now?

boxofslice

Should've packed it in 10 years ago... and that's being generous.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If they split up they might come back. Better for one of them to die somehow.

Serge

Quote from: boxofslice on August 24, 2009, 09:25:16 AM
Should've packed it in 10 years ago... and that's being generous.

Very generous. They should have knocked it on the head after 'Morning Glory', then they'd have had one great album, followed by one pretty good album, plus a string of fab singles with fantastic b-sides. As it is.....

Jemble Fred

Definitely Maybe is not a great album. It's a few great songs padded out by squealing noise. WTS(MG) is a genuinely great album throughout, though.

Oasis is just Noel in my opinion anyway, anything else is just, well, also padding. He would have done better as a solo act for the last ten years, after Be Here Now – which for all its bombast is as underrated as Definitely Maybe is overrated.

Neville Chamberlain

They should never have decided to form in the first place. And that's being generous!

Or, if they couldn't help themselves, they should have decided to write completely different and much better songs. And that's being generous!

Absorb the anus burn

The parents should have had them aborted... And that's being generous! Or they should have snuck into their bedroom late at night and put pillows over their faces... And that's being generous! Or Noel should have had his hands severed during a freakish accident whilst roadying for The Inspiral Carpets... And that's being generous! Etc. Etc.

Roy*Mallard

They should have given all their royalties to charity .... and that's being generous!

ziggy starbucks

When the moon hits you eye like a big pizza pie........that's amore!

Roy*Mallard

''When some yob hits your knob with a clod of old sod ..... that's offensive!''

lipsink

...and that's the women! Err...

boki

..and then they got off the tourbus!

PS - Please direct me to the squealing noise in the Oasis back-catalogue, it sounds more fun.

Squink

I doubt they will call it a day. I see them continuing, Rolling Stones-style, for decades to come.

Quote from: Jemble Fred on August 24, 2009, 10:08:50 AMOasis is just Noel in my opinion anyway, anything else is just, well, also padding.

This is totally wrong. Oasis are nothing without Liam. Noel's achingly boring Weller-esque muso tendencies would have been indulged to an even greater extent without Liam around. Plus, Liam can sing and Noel clearly can't.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Squink on August 24, 2009, 02:30:43 PM
Liam can sing and Noel clearly can't.

Ah well, we won't agree here because I do fervently believe the opposite. The best Oasis set I've ever seen was their original Unplugged show. Ideally I'd far rather go and see Noel with a guitar in a good venue than ever brave the bottles of piss at a massive Oasis gig. I say fingers crossed for them giving the band a rest.

lipsink

Quote from: boki on August 24, 2009, 11:55:14 AM
..and then they got off the tourbus!

PS - Please direct me to the squealing noise in the Oasis back-catalogue, it sounds more fun.

'Fade Away' and 'Listen Up' (the B-sides of 'Cigarettes and Alcohol') and 'It's Good To Be Free' (from the 'Whatever' single).

Backstage With Slowdive

Of course if they split Kasabian will be gutted. They were getting a nice wage as the current support act.

Where are Bonehead and Guigsy nowadays?

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 24, 2009, 04:22:41 PM
Where are Bonehead and Guigsy nowadays?

They rejoined the band and no one noticed.

Squink

Words of wisdom, straight from the horse's bottom:

QuoteFinally reports in smartarses column about Oasis last british gig ever. The kids talking out his arse ,I mean rkids, bware of darkness.LG

http://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/3515040163

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: Squink on August 24, 2009, 05:29:36 PM
Words of wisdom, straight from the horse's bottom:

http://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/3515040163

That tweet isn't geuine, because Liam is illiterate.

weirdbeard

Seems like I'm back in 1994.  Or 1996.  Or 2000.  Or the end of every mammoth tour they ever do.  Liam and Noel are always ready to kill each other at the end of their tours and this time is no different.  They'll be back.  Although I do think we'll see something different in the gap this time round, Noel did a few solo gigs during the last gap and got the taste for it.  Think a solo album by him is nearer than it's ever been.

boxofslice

They might as well call it quits. How many more times can the press write "Their best album since What's The Story" when their latest release rolls around? They haven't progressed musically and every song could happily slot into any album they've made. Maybe their die-hard fans are happy with this state of affairs but as an onlooker they've become less of a potent force in the music world.

purlieu

Noel's singing with The Amorphous Androgynous (Future Sound of London's psych rock band thing who did that 22 minute remix of Falling Down) at their O2 Arena gig in September.  Supported by Hawkwind.  I really hope Cobain and Dougans produce the next Oasis album.  They won't, but I think it'd be great.  Drown the backing band (whatever the lineup is at the moment) out with sitars and strings and electronics and stuff.
One can dream.

Beagle 2

Having just had to sit through (or rather stand, I was stewarding at the time so unable to escape) The Amorphous Androgynous at Green Man I sincerely hope not. A boring plodding load of old toss, just a straight copy of all the most clichéd elements of 60's psychedelia. The singer came up to me afterwards having lost his access all areas wristband and asked if I'd remember him if he popped out for a while. As he was still dressed as Christ I assured him I probably would indeed remember him.

As Oasis seem to just exist as a nostalgia act now anyway, it probably would be an idea to do what such bands usually do and at least split up for a bit out of politeness.

kidsick5000

They should have stomped over Japan... and that's being Godzilla.

sorry

I like Noel Gallagher, but even he must know he's been falsely pedalling the '...best one ever' schtick since Be Here Now, Oasis' cocained creative impotence album.
When a band is more entertaining outside of its music it's a sad state of affairs. Where is that game changing different sound Noel once promised? The more electonic production?
Even U2 had a radical change after a decade. They evolve. Oasis just stuck with their Weller-worshipping.
When Andy Bell and Gem who have been two of the longest lasting members are still thought of as 'the new ones', doesn't that say something of how little Oasis are actually regarded.

weirdbeard

Think Noel dropped the "It's the best album since...." during the press for this album.  It had become a laughing stock even with Oasis fans.  But it was almost always journalists who were, in Noel's words, "still reviewing the third album".

Serge

I thought the Amorphous Androgynous 22 minute mix of the Oasis trick proved once and for all that you can't polish a turd. But if I can point you in the direction of their 'A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble' 2 CD mix that came out last year, taking in all points from Mid-'70s Miles Davis to minstrelry from 'The Wicker Man', from The Emperor Machine to East European Jazz Funk, from Tim Buckley to Can and Pentangle, then the Amorphous Androgynous have at least some reason to still be around. Especially as that mix is tantalisingly subtitled 'Volume One'.

Right, back to the dadrock.

Cambrian Times

To be honest, I never really gave a shit about Oasis.

purlieu

Quote from: Serge on August 26, 2009, 12:15:52 AM
I thought the Amorphous Androgynous 22 minute mix of the Oasis trick proved once and for all that you can't polish a turd. But if I can point you in the direction of their 'A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble' 2 CD mix that came out last year, taking in all points from Mid-'70s Miles Davis to minstrelry from 'The Wicker Man', from The Emperor Machine to East European Jazz Funk, from Tim Buckley to Can and Pentangle, then the Amorphous Androgynous have at least some reason to still be around. Especially as that mix is tantalisingly subtitled 'Volume One'.

Right, back to the dadrock.
Volume 2 is out in October.  All three of their albums are worth listening to I think.  But that's a different story.

Serge

Quote from: purlieu on August 27, 2009, 10:20:27 AM
Volume 2 is out in October.
Woo-hoo!

QuoteAll three of their albums are worth listening to I think.  But that's a different story.
I don't know their albums as Amorphous Androgynous, though I have a couple of Future Sound Of London albums. Having said that, I haven't listened to them in ages.