Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

End of Oasis?

Started by Backstage With Slowdive, August 24, 2009, 08:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty McFly

An tSaoi

And nothing of value was lost.

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 28, 2009, 11:47:25 PM

Sky News disagrees. It's their top (non-)story right now. Until recently, I thought Oasis had split up years ago.

23 Daves

They'll be back.

Even if Noel doesn't return to the fray, what are the odds that Liam will be daft enough to try and keep the whole charade going with his own songs?

Marty McFly

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 28, 2009, 11:47:25 PM

do you honestly believe that? he wrote virtually all of the band's early material, ie, the stuff that made them famous.. everything I ever read and saw about Oasis, back in the first 3 albums era when I was a big fan, led me to think Noel was the driving force behind the band. Liam has probably admitted as much, in that the band before Noel joined, the Rain, were terrible.

Maybe that doesn't matter so much now that every bandmember is writing songs, but the biggest turn-off for me is Liam's voice, he just gets worse and worse with every album. For the last 5+ years, they've just been a nostalgia act.. people go to see them live to hear the old songs, not whatever tripe's on their latest album. It wouldn't surprise me if Liam did continue the band (although surely he doesn't need the money?), but whether Noel would let him use the Oasis name is another matter entirely. The whole situation brings to mind a spoof ad I saw in - I think - Select many years ago, advertising 'Liam Gallagher's Original Oasis', and 'The Burnage Oasis'..

Spiteface

Quote from: Marty McFly on August 29, 2009, 01:03:26 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Liam did continue the band (although surely he doesn't need the money?), but whether Noel would let him use the Oasis name is another matter entirely.

Did they become Oasis before or after Noel joined? I think Rain became Oasis just before Noel came in, so really Liam would have every right to use the Oasis name if he wished.

Truthfully, I wanna see something confirmed before I believe Oasis are well and truly over.  It feels like this happens every time Oasis tour, and they're always "splitting up" it seems.  The fact Noel's gone as far as to state on the band's website that he's quit makes this seem more serious.  Normally it just boils down to one of them mouthing off to a tabloid somewhere about how much they hate the other one.  I'll be truthful, I was highly suspicious when they cancelled a gig because Liam couldn't do the gig.  That never stopped Noel taking on lead vocals at gigs in the past, so why would it now?

I will be sad to see them go if this really is the end, though.  I don't mind admitting that.

An tSaoi

do you honestly believe that?

I honestly don't know which brother is which.

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 29, 2009, 01:19:57 AM
I honestly don't know which brother is which.

Noel is the obnoxious one, and Liam is the really obnoxious one.

Rev

Hang on, surely Oasis was always Noel and friends, with his brother being given something to keep him occupied?  Never been a fan of the band, but I've always liked Noel.  His acoustic performance of Wonderwall on - I think - Channel 4's Glastonbury coverage, about a year before the song was recorded and became ubiquitous and insufferable, underlined where the talent was.  He should have gone solo years ago, because he's got more than pub rock in him.  Liam can plod on with the back catalogue.

lipsink

At the start of the career it used to be great to hear Noel's acoustic gems on the B-sides. Then when he started singing on the albums it was overkill and I came to realise he really is quite a boring singer.

boxofslice

Well lets hope this is the wake-up call and they realise they're past their sell-by date and it's time to end.

My predictions:

Liam releases an embarrassing solo album that charts badly, he retires from music, becomes a tv entertainer and bangs on and on about the glory days of britpop.

Jem and Andy form their own band that no-one takes any notice of.

Noel releases numerous uninspiring solo albums that only the die hard Oasis fans buy out of loyalty but the wider public ignore.

In 12 years time they reform for the cash-in tour.

ajsmith

do you honestly believe that? he wrote virtually all of the band's early material, ie, the stuff that made them famous.. everything I ever read and saw about Oasis, back in the first 3 albums era when I was a big fan, led me to think Noel was the driving force behind the band. Liam has probably admitted as much, in that the band before Noel joined, the Rain, were terrible.

Maybe that doesn't matter so much now that every bandmember is writing songs, but the biggest turn-off for me is Liam's voice, he just gets worse and worse with every album. For the last 5+ years, they've just been a nostalgia act.. people go to see them live to hear the old songs, not whatever tripe's on their latest album. It wouldn't surprise me if Liam did continue the band (although surely he doesn't need the money?), but whether Noel would let him use the Oasis name is another matter entirely. The whole situation brings to mind a spoof ad I saw in - I think - Select many years ago, advertising 'Liam Gallagher's Original Oasis', and 'The Burnage Oasis'..

It was in the NME: Liam (now in an iron lung) fronted the Official Oasis backed by ex-members of Embrace, Noel and Tony McCarroll held the Original Oasis together, playing later tracks such as "Santa Claus is mad for Xmas" and Bonehead took the helm of The Burnage Oasis, who were legally only able to play the middle 8 of "D'ye know what I mean". Meanwhile it had been revealed that Guigsy had actually written all the band's original material and had retired on the profits.

Jemble Fred

Hooray!

I am now a fan of Noel Gallagher, fuck the rest of 'em.

ajsmith

It's 10 years to the month that Bonehead and Guigsy quit Oasis. Doubt that's of an influence.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

chocolateboy

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 25, 2009, 11:37:11 AMOasis seem to just exist as a nostalgia act now anyway

Oasis: the fourth best Oasis tribute band (in Hull).

Blue Jam

Perhaps we can expect an album of twelve songs like Little James
Thank fuck nothing rhymes with Lennon... oh fuck, I forgot Gene, and Molly who was born after he knocked up his ex

Seriously though, I'm a fan and even I'm struggling to give a toss. People clearly do still give a toss though- I recently sold a few rare Oasis releases on eBum and was surprised to see them go for silly money.

I didn't buy the last album and the last time I saw the band live they were dreadful. After that I decided not to buy tickets for Noel's solo show at the Albert Hall, then changed my mind after watching another of his acoustic shows which was streamed live by MSN. It was great, partly because he played mostly old songs, but also because he's very charming and funny and he even made a gig that size feel intimate.

Liam is an arse though, it's strange to think I had a massive crush on him when I was 14. He's a great frontman but over the years I've found him increasingly unlikeable. I think Noel will be better off without him in every single way.

weirdbeard

I'm a massive fan but am also not really arsed.  I'm more excited about what Liam and Noel can release on their own (with a little help from their respective friends...).  The last album was really frustrating, the first half was almost all written by Noel and was fantastic.  Then on the second half the others joined in and the whole thing was diluted. 

I think both of them have been more frustrated than they would like to admit.  Liam's frustrated by Noel singing more and more songs on each record and Noel is frustrated by having to work in a democracy, having to let other people's songs on the record to sustain the harmony.   Maybe he appreciated that when he was burned out with the volume of songwriting around 2001/2002, but I think he's got his mojo back now.  He's gone on and on about having a lot of great songs which just wouldn't fit on the Oasis records which I can't wait to hear.   Both of them with the leashes off could really perform something special.

lipsink

The idea of a Noel solo album bores me to tears. It'll have a few decent songs like the last few Oasis albums. But it'll probably be just as unremarkable and as dull as the last few Oasis albums. I don't believe Noel has loads of great songs that don't fit into Oasis cos he's just talked so much bollocks in the past.

As for Liam's solo album: zzzzzzzz...

weirdbeard

Quote from: lipsink on August 29, 2009, 12:12:40 PM
The idea of a Noel solo album bores me to tears. It'll have a few decent songs like the last few Oasis albums.

Which were mostly Noel's.  For the last three Oasis albums, Noel's only written half the tracks on them all.

lipsink

Yeah, but a Noel Gallagher song like '(Get Off Your) High Horse Lady' any album could do without.

Jemble Fred

I can't remember a single thing about the last Oasis album, but I do have faith that it'd be different if it was 'By Noel Gallagher', given free rein to bring all his disparate passions and tastes into play, without worrying about talentless relatives and faceless session players.

EDIT: Or maybe he should reform the Smokin' Mojo Filters as a full-time going concern!

lipsink

I actually really liked both 'Born On A Different Cloud' and 'Songbird' off Heathen Chemistry which were both Liams. Actually, that's probably their best post Morning Glory album. 'Force Of Nature' is fucking great off that too.

But yeah, Gem's and Andy Bell's offerings were wank.

Jemble Fred

Whenever I have any doubts about Noel's brilliance, I listen to his live version of 'This Guy's In Love', with Burt Bacharach on piano. It's the perfect indicator of why he's such a brilliant singer, who has always been capable of escaping from the straightjacket of boorish heavy-sounding crap that has always been the Oasis stock-in-trade. There's no way you'd get Liam singing with Bacharach, because he's a twat.

EDIT: Actually, I just dug this out and sent it to Blue Jam, but here's an upload anyway: http://www.sendspace.com/file/exiaws

I love it personally, Noel's just open to all kinds of great music, I really hope he lets rip as a solo act and offers something more eclectic and free than anything that Oasis have pumped out in the last decade. I'm not entirely confident that he will, but it's still quite an exciting possibility now.

Here's a shitty-sounding question, bro. I'm one-hundred percent serious, though. If you're into 'all kinds of great music' and want to hear Noel Gallagher trying something different, why would you be listening to plodding Oasis in the first place? If Definitely Maybe - the only time they fucking meant it - didn't do it for you, bar a couple of catchier tunes, what exactly do you get out of the band? They're, like, really really bad, you know, man...

Jemble Fred

purlieu

Quote from: lipsink on August 29, 2009, 12:35:52 PM
I actually really liked both 'Born On A Different Cloud' and 'Songbird' off Heathen Chemistry which were both Liams.
Those are the only songs on the album I like!  And I really enjoyed Turn Up The Sun from Don't Believe The Truth.
Noel's left.  I hope his solo album sounds like that track he did for the X Files movie.  That'd shock people.

Squink

If the split is real, I hope Liam carries on with Oasis just to piss off Noel. Because any solo record by Noel is going to be boring as fuck and he will probably play to a vastly reduced audience. Whereas Oasis will still draw sizable crowds as long as Liam's still on board. Let's face it, people only want to see the hits, and any Tom, Dick or Harry can play Noel's parts, whereas Liam isn't really replaceable. Watching Noel seethe from the sidelines could be hugely entertaining.

ajsmith

It's time to bring  McCarroll back into the fold.

Jemble Fred

Going to see 'Oasis' now wouldn't be much different from going to see 'Queen', or that time they booked 'Dodgy' for the Aber prom in 2000, with some long-haired stranger singing their meagre hits.