Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,473
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:34:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

End of Oasis?

Started by Backstage With Slowdive, August 24, 2009, 08:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jemble Fred on August 29, 2009, 12:38:03 PM
Whenever I have any doubts about Noel's brilliance, I listen to his live version of 'This Guy's In Love', with Burt Bacharach on piano.

That's lovely, thanks Jem, can't believe it took me this long to hear it! While we're on the subject of Noel's loungecore credentials, have this:

Fade Away - Warchild Version

Noel on lead vocals, featuring Lisa Moorish on vocals at the end and Johnny Depp on guitar... it's nothing like the "squealing noise" of the original. Actually after seeing Noel at the Albert Hall with a string section, I'd love to see him do more stuff like this, with him sitting at a piano in a suit and flowery shirt, with lots of sexy ladies with violins... and Mike Flowers as support act.

QuoteNoel's just open to all kinds of great music, I really hope he lets rip as a solo act and offers something more eclectic and free than anything that Oasis have pumped out in the last decade. I'm not entirely confident that he will, but it's still quite an exciting possibility now.

Oh yes, his tastes are pretty broad and eclectic, more than people give him credit for. I really must try and rip my recording of All Back To Mine from the cassette it's on.

23 Daves

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 29, 2009, 11:24:29 AM

Seriously though, I'm a fan and even I'm struggling to give a toss. People clearly do still give a toss though- I recently sold a few rare Oasis releases on eBum and was surprised to see them go for silly money.

Really?  Would you mind enlightening me... I'm sitting on a few Oasis promos and vinyl singles/ albums myself, and I'm likely to be strapped for cash later this year.  If I do reactivate the ebum account, you can almost be certain that I'll regard Oasis vinyl as being the least essential "rare" stuff I own. 

Mind you, I tried flogging a promo of "Whatever" a few years back, and I think only fetched about a fiver, which wasn't much to get excited about at the time.

Marty McFly

Quote from: ajsmith on August 29, 2009, 10:36:57 AM
It was in the NME: Liam (now in an iron lung) fronted the Official Oasis backed by ex-members of Embrace, Noel and Tony McCarroll held the Original Oasis together, playing later tracks such as "Santa Claus is mad for Xmas" and Bonehead took the helm of The Burnage Oasis, who were legally only able to play the middle 8 of "D'ye know what I mean". Meanwhile it had been revealed that Guigsy had actually written all the band's original material and had retired on the profits.

ah, well-recalled!

I remember when Guigsy temporarily quit halfway through a US tour, and Noel's response was something like "Paul is Oasis". yeah right!

This could well be a sweeping generalisation but I get the idea there are two camps of Oasis fan: the lager-swilling scallies who idolise Liam and would gladly lap up his piss if it was aimed in their direction, and the more intellectual, muso-types who probably have an acoustic guitar and a big collection of Beatles albums and always stand on Noel's side at the gigs. What's going to happen now? Oh yes.. more wankers at the gigs.

Never saw them live myself, but even to an (at the time) diehard fan, they never seemed to be that impressive. Anyone care to refute this?

I've actually got every CD single for the first 4 albums. I guess now's as good a time as any to stick them on eBum as a job lot..

23 Daves

Quote from: Marty McFly on August 29, 2009, 02:12:36 PM

Never saw them live myself, but even to an (at the time) diehard fan, they never seemed to be that impressive. Anyone care to refute this?

Not me.  Liam has bagloads of charisma (which is quite impressive for somebody who largely stays rooted to the spot sneering at everyone) but it's not enough to transcend the plodding, workmanlike nature of the live show. 

Admittely, my opinions were once swayed slightly by being surrounded by wankers throwing bottles of piss everywhere (one of which struck me on the head) but for a band who are so successful, there's a lack of imagination and budget to their live show as well.  The rule usually is that when bands have to start to play huge venues, they begin to think of other ways to make the shows interesting and bridge the gap between the stage and the audience.  Oasis never seem to have given that any thought for fear of becoming stadium rock schlock in the process, I suspect, whilst failing to realise that you're not going to get around the problem by completely ignoring it.

Also, even if you do have a lot of fans who are morons, they'll usually only start throwing bottles and rubbish around if they're getting slightly bored.  A good band should hold everyone's attention enough so that they don't even stop for a second to consider doing that. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: 23 Daves on August 29, 2009, 02:25:13 PM
The rule usually is that when bands have to start to play huge venues, they begin to think of other ways to make the shows interesting and bridge the gap between the stage and the audience.  Oasis never seem to have given that any thought for fear of becoming stadium rock schlock in the process, I suspect, whilst failing to realise that you're not going to get around the problem by completely ignoring it.

I reckon U2 put people off with the Popmart tour and that giant fucking lemon. Oasis were ridiculed for their stage props for the Be Here Now tour, which weren't nearly as ridiculous, but Oasis were always a bit no-nonsense, and never into being flash.

Quote from: 23 Daves on August 29, 2009, 02:05:37 PM
Really?  Would you mind enlightening me... I'm sitting on a few Oasis promos and vinyl singles/ albums myself, and I'm likely to be strapped for cash later this year.  If I do reactivate the ebum account, you can almost be certain that I'll regard Oasis vinyl as being the least essential "rare" stuff I own.

I sold the 7x10" boxset version of The Masterplan for £70- a nice item, I almost didn't want to sell it but I'd never played it in the 11 years I'd owned it and it was still in the original packaging (which was gathering dust). I also sold the boxset The DVD Singles, which was just a box sent out free to people on the mailing list, to store the four DVD singles from Heathen Chemistry. Free but apparently rare enough to fetch £63.

I have the Cum On Feel The Noize/Champagne Supernova (Lynchmob Remix) promo but I don't want to sell that. I also have the early CD singles (all the original Creation issues, not the Big Brother reissues) in the two Benson & Hedges boxes, I definitely don't want to sell those.

Big Brother Recordings... reckon Noel will change the name now? He could carry on with Sour Mash I suppose.

Squink

Quote from: 23 Daves on August 29, 2009, 02:25:13 PMAlso, even if you do have a lot of fans who are morons, they'll usually only start throwing bottles and rubbish around if they're getting slightly bored.  A good band should hold everyone's attention enough so that they don't even stop for a second to consider doing that.

Going by this logic, all of the original punk bands bored people and weren't able to hold their attention. Sometimes, people get drunk and like to throw stuff around. It doesn't necessarily have any correlation with the music they happen to be listening to at the time. Fuck, this thread is so full of wrongness that I'm on the verge of defending Oasis! Argh.

Some funny stuff here:

QuoteRumours at the time of publication that the brothers had fallen out after a heated debate about Jacques Derrida and the death of the author with Noel subscribing to a hard line Plato/logocentric position with Liam unable to convince him of the need to consider "fookin' Roland Barthes" remain unconfirmed.

http://thequietus.com/articles/02619-oasis-split-nationa

weirdbeard

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 29, 2009, 01:56:18 PM
Oh yes, his tastes are pretty broad and eclectic, more than people give him credit for. I really must try and rip my recording of All Back To Mine from the cassette it's on.

I'll save you a job.  http://www.mediafire.com/?dgjjyyeptlm

Or listen to it streaming at http://imfeelingsupersonic.blogspot.com/2008/02/noel-gallagher-all-back-to-mine-1997.html

Noel's selection:

Spoiler alert
Noel's selection:
Blue Mink - Melting Pot
Small Faces - The Universal
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
Sugar Bear - Don't Scandalise Mine
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Supersonic
Billy Taylor - I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free)
The Lovin' Spoonful - Darling Be Home Soon
The Bee Gees - The Earnest of Being George
The Beatles - It's All Too Much
[close]

23 Daves

Quote from: Squink on August 29, 2009, 02:43:13 PM
Going by this logic, all of the original punk bands bored people and weren't able to hold their attention. Sometimes, people get drunk and like to throw stuff around. It doesn't necessarily have any correlation with the music they happen to be listening to at the time. Fuck, this thread is so full of wrongness that I'm on the verge of defending Oasis! Argh.

A lot of the punk bands were shit and couldn't hold an audience's attention, though - at least 90% of them, I'd say.  A lot of it was arguably about being part of a movement rather than giving a higher focus to the people on stage.

There is no question in my mind that at the last Oasis gig I went to - presumably the last Oasis gig I will ever go to - the luzzing of crap increased in direct proportion to how often the band played tedious tracks from their latest album.  It could have been that I noticed it more just because I too was bored, but I honestly doubt it. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: weirdbeard on August 29, 2009, 02:46:23 PM
I'll save you a job.  http://www.mediafire.com/?dgjjyyeptlm

Thanks, I love you. Is this the version broadcast at christmas, or the repeat where Radio 1 edited out Sean Rowley's sarcastic "Merry christmas to you too" after
Spoiler alert
Noel threw him out of the house for daring to claim Saturday Night Fever was a proper Mod film
[close]
? I remember his tastes being pretty eclectic though, and him saying at one point "people listening to this at home will be thinking "he's lost it..."

EDIT: oh gawd, Alan Partridge has ruined this first song for me... but the lyrics were pretty dodgy anyway... and I have that Royal Philharmonic Oasis album, it's ace, anyone want me to upload it?

Squink

Quote from: 23 Daves on August 29, 2009, 02:49:15 PM
It could have been that I noticed it more just because I too was bored, but I honestly doubt it.

We're veering wildly off topic here, but the people throwing stuff are in the minority. If 30 people out of 30,000 start throwing bottles it doesn't necessarily = everyone is bored and the band is shit. You're applying the same kind of logic tabloid newspapers use in relation to football hooligans. ie. 50 people out of 50,000 cause trouble = all football fans are hooligans.

And besides, the people throwing shit at the Sex Pistols and the Ramones were fully engaged with what was happening on stage - the whole point was to try and get a rise out of the band, after all.

23 Daves

Quote from: Squink on August 29, 2009, 03:19:36 PM
We're veering wildly off topic here, but the people throwing stuff are in the minority. If 30 people out of 30,000 start throwing bottles it doesn't necessarily = everyone is bored and the band is shit. You're applying the same kind of logic tabloid newspapers use in relation to football hooligans. ie. 50 people out of 50,000 cause trouble = all football fans are hooligans.

Considerably more people than 30 were throwing stuff around at the last Oasis gig I was at.  The letters pages of the NME were full of it at the time, although many of the complaints were tartly dismissed in the usual NME letters-page editor way for contradicting the magazine's point of view.  Rather than it being especially violent, however - and I should say for clarity that all the bottles of piss being chucked were plastic bottles of piss - it was more of a case of "Wa-hey!  Somebody's thrown something, so I'm going to throw something!"  There were audience members around me who just weren't paying a bit of attention to what was happening on stage - they weren't even looking in that direction. 

My eyewitness account may vary to other people's, of course, who may be stood in different areas with a different segment of the audience, but I'd just say that's the mark of a below-par gig.  All gigs get stagedivers (or people attempting to stagedive) and easily distracted drunks, but when they become the focus of the event rather than the band that's a bit of a problem. That's what used to happen with the worst grunge bands in the early nineties.

I'm sure some people got a lot out of the gig, but there were a lot of distracted folk near me (I freely admit I was feeling very distracted myself) and a lot of people who weren't cheering or singing along, just looking rather fed up, to be honest.  However, as several critics reviewed the event in such a different way that I barely recognised what they were talking about, there's clearly always going to be those who disagree, or perhaps see what they want to see.  Maybe it was even me seeing what I wanted to see, you be the judge.

Truth be told, I don't care enough about Oasis one way or the other to either defend them or pull them to pieces.  I just think their status as one of Britain's greatest live bands has been particularly overstated. 

Blue Jam

I'll upload the Royal Philharmonic album later, in the meantime here's another treat:

Bonehead's Bank Holiday

From the vinyl version of (WTS?)MG. I sent this to a friend of mine who doesn't particularly like Oasis, but he hates Blur, and loves this because it's such a blatant pisstake of their Great Escape-era stuff.

Incidentally Daves, vinyl versions of the albums fetch quite a bit on eBum. I got about £25 for Don't Believe The Truth, but I'm hanging onto the earlier ones.

lipsink

I watched their 'Live By The Sea' video to death when I was a teenager and I always thought they looked like the greatest live band indoors, but maybe not for a festival. I saw them a few years ago at the Oxegen festival and they were pretty unspectacular and unengaging. It was like listening to the radio and I don't think they said much at all to the crowd. The most bizarre thing was after the gig as everyone walked off disappointed the PA started playing the studio version of 'Wonderwall' (which they didn't perform).

23 Daves

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 29, 2009, 04:38:41 PM
Incidentally Daves, vinyl versions of the albums fetch quite a bit on eBum. I got about £25 for Don't Believe The Truth, but I'm hanging onto the earlier ones.

I've got a near-mint double LP copy of "Definitely Maybe", have to wonder what that would go for.  Mind you, #25 may not be that much if ebay are still insisting that the seller has to meet all postage costs.  It's not as simple or as cheap as bunging a CD in a jiffy envelope. 

kidsick5000

Noel clearly has plenty of influences. Why did they not come out in the music? For all his talk and excursions with the Chemical Bros, Oasis tunes did become quite ordinary while yer Radioheads and Albarns went off to explore and churn things up.

BTW Cheers Weirdbeard and BlueJam for the supplies. Much appreciated

weirdbeard

New Noel statement:

QuoteDearly beloved, it is with a heavy heart and a sad face that I say this to you this morning.

As of last Friday the 28th August, I have been forced to leave the Manchester rock'n'roll pop group Oasis.

The details are not important and of too great a number to list. But I feel you have the right to know that the level of verbal and violent intimidation towards me, my family, friends and comrades has become intolerable. And the lack of support and understanding from my management and band mates has left me with no other option than to get me cape and seek pastures new.

I would like firstly to offer my apologies to them kids in Paris who'd paid money and waited all day to see us only to be let down AGAIN by the band. Apologies are probably not enough, I know, but I'm afraid it's all I've got.

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to say to the good people of V Festival that experienced the same thing. Again, I can only apologise - although I don't know why, it was nothing to do with me. I was match fit and ready to be brilliant. Alas, other people in the group weren't up to it.

In closing I would like to thank all the Oasis fans, all over the world. The last 18 years have been truly, truly amazing (and I hate that word, but today is the one time I'll deem it appropriate). A dream come true. I take with me glorious memories.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have a family and a football team to indulge.

I'll see you somewhere down the road. It's been a fuckin' pleasure.

Thanks very much.

Goodbye.

NG.

The man's pissed off alright.

Jemble Fred

McCartney would be proud.

Spiteface

Yeah, at first I thought this was just Noel throwing his toys out of his pram like the last time he walked (2000, after Liam ALLEGEDLY questioned the legitimacy of his daughter).  As things have unfolded, this feels different.

Y'know what?  I'd heard there was the usual tension on this tour, and it was evident in interviews and such in recent years, but I've been thinking more and more that "one of them's gonna actually leave the band".  Oasis are FUCKED without Noel.  Simple as that.  I'd even go as far as to say that Oasis ceases to exist without him.

If Liam, Gem Archer and Andy Bell have got any sense, they will either BEG him to come back, or they disband.  I've defended changing line-ups of other bands in the past, but it's Noel Gallagher, the man who's songs are the reason people liked Oasis to begin with.

In closing though, if this really is the end of Oasis, it actually doesn't feel as bad as it should.  And I say this as a fan who still liked them, unlike the seeming general opinion of this board, who will proclaim they are irrelevant, yet those same people are discussing them right now.

El Unicornio, mang

If this had happened after the first album I'd be worried and think "Well that's a load of good music we're never going to hear", but after 15 years of mostly disappointing, unimaginitive albums I'm not bothered. I'd actually like to hear Noel and Andy Bell get together and try something that's not the typical Oasis formula, I think they're both talented songwriters.

Edit to add: The Andy Bell out of Oasis, not Erasure...

Jemble Fred

When you look at all the greats that Noel has associated with, and directly recorded with – McCartney, Weller, even Bacharach etc – you do get the feeling that he's always been very popular and well thought of in the music industry, but his kid brother's just been like a bad stink around him that just did him no favours as far as being taken seriously by his peers. I can't help but feel that cutting all ties with wilLiam and his past will do Noel the power of good. He's a great collaborator, it'd be interesting to see who he can mix with to come out with some new tunes.

lipsink

Who off Creation will Liam get to replace Noel then? Maybe one of them out of 3 Colours Red.

I still think Liam's voice is far better than Noel's. Even if I am pretty sick of it now. But Noel's voice just sounds a bit too pub/open mic singer.

Squink

Christ, this thread is hilarious. Those charmless oiks throwing plastic bottles around, and 'stinky' Liam hanging about and dragging our Noel down so he can't be taken seriously by his best chums Weller and Bacharach. Poor Noel.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Squink on August 29, 2009, 07:01:53 PM
Christ, this thread is hilarious.

Yep, it's almost like people have contrasting opinions on the subject.

D'you Know What I Mean?

Blue Jam

This thread has reminded me of the infamous Wibbling Rivalry release, featuring the NME interview which is basically a 20-minute argument. It began when Noel admitted that the ferry incident which got the rest of the band deported from Amsterdam was "something I'm not proud of", which Liam then countered with "Well I am, la." Liam was defending his rock'n'roll behaviour and image, and Noel was trying to steer the conversation back to music, at one point being reduced to shouting "MUSIC! MUSIC! MUSIC!" over Liam.

I think that was out in 1994, how Noel put up with 15 more years of this I'll never know. I'll upload this too if anyone wants it.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 29, 2009, 06:44:57 PM
Edit to add: The Andy Bell out of Oasis, not Erasure...

Now that would be interesting.

lipsink

Wibbling Rivalry's fucking hilarious. I love how you can hear Noel bang his drink down on the table when he gets pissed off. Weren't the rest of the band there too?

Captain Crunch

Has anyone questioned Andy about all this yet?  As far as I know, he never ruled out the possibility of a RIDE reunion but simply didn't have time what with Oasis' tour schedule.  And now, if he's free ... (!!)

Quote from: 23 Daves on August 29, 2009, 05:05:22 PM
I've got a near-mint double LP copy of "Definitely Maybe", have to wonder what that would go for.  Mind you, #25 may not be that much if ebay are still insisting that the seller has to meet all postage costs.  It's not as simple or as cheap as bunging a CD in a jiffy envelope.

Yup.  As of a few weeks' time, ebay are still insistant that buyers get free postage on all media related items at the sellers' expense.  The official line is 'if you want to cover the postage costs, then start your item price higher'.  Meaning, of course, ebay get a bigger slice of the cake.  That's me (and countless other people) out.

Blue Jam

Quote from: 23 Daves on August 29, 2009, 05:05:22 PM

They're not bringing that new rule in until October so you've got some time. Definitely Maybe will probably fetch a lot more than the later albums.

Here's another treat for you all:

Oas*s - Wibbling Rivalry (1995, Fierce Panda NING12CD)

Just noticed my CD ripping software cut the end off- Liam's recurring dream is "I take over the band".

Noel: Do you know John Lennon?
Liam: Yeah.
Noel: Well you must be pretty old. How old are you, twenty-one?
Liam: No, about fookin'-thousand and FIVE-fucking-one.

The Royal Philharmonic LP coming up next...

Artemis

Don't give a toss, frankly. In fact, if anything I'm happy I'll see less of their self-congratulatory, over-rated faces in the press. Let's face it, Definitely Maybe was pretty good, WTS(MG) was a genuine classic, and the rest? Some notable songs here and there but nothing worth buying and keeping.

Looks like Have Your Say reflects pretty much the same sentiment, on the whole - even if quite a few comments seem to think they're shit just because they're modern, which is a fucking stupid opinion to have.