Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Derren Brown: The Events

Started by ozziechef, September 07, 2009, 02:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dark Sky on September 07, 2009, 11:36:23 PMI highly doubt that, though...surely the lottery is really scrutinised by officials and the broadcast has to be officially live and stuff.  Wouldn't you think?  I highly doubt Channel 4 could say, "hey, just delay it for one minute but let us have an actual live link up please"!

Yeah, it could be legally difficult. I was wondering if the lottery was absolutely live or if there's a four second delay to prevent broadcasting any mishaps like Michael Ball realising he got all six numbers and shouting "Fuck! I've won!" before having a heart attack from all the excitement. If that's the case then maybe they could make that delay a bit longer and Derren could announce each number just before it comes up.

I guess there's a problem with the spending 55 grand on tickets idea as well, namely how long it would take to sort through 55 thousand tickets quickly enough for him to produce it before the end of the show from a sealed envelope.

Tiny Poster

Reminds me of Penn and Teller predicting the Super Bowl score.

chand

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on September 08, 2009, 01:35:07 AM
Yeah, it could be legally difficult. I was wondering if the lottery was absolutely live or if there's a four second delay to prevent broadcasting any mishaps like Michael Ball realising he got all six numbers and shouting "Fuck! I've won!" before having a heart attack from all the excitement. If that's the case then maybe they could make that delay a bit longer and Derren could announce each number just before it comes up.

I'm not sure it matters whether it's broadcast exactly live or not, as long as it's done after they stop accepting new entries and it's officially scrutinised.

Murdo

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 08, 2009, 01:48:07 AM
Reminds me of Penn and Teller predicting the Super Bowl score.

Go on...

(I've had  a quick google but can't find anything'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What I want to know is whether he's buying a ticket, and he'll give all the money away to charity or keep it and use the money to do more impressive stunts like throwing himself from a hot air balloon on fire and surviving.

Emma Raducanu

My lottery prediction:

5, 17, 23, 25, 39, 41

You heard it here first.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Imagine winning the lottery. Imagine what that would be like.

Blue Jam

According to Twitter, Channel 4 won't let him buy a ticket, despite his protests.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What's it got to do with them?

Ah shit. Page 26. Clause 4b.

QuoteThe aforementioned Channel 4 employee must not under any circumstances purchase lottery tickets.

chand

Has it been mentioned here that he's supposedly already predicted the numbers? In the adverts there are five numbers on a lamppost and there's a URL on a passing bus saying http://www.itwillbeyou.info/, which leads to:

QuoteThis event is on the 9th of September (LIVE)
Derren will predict the lottery number and you will already have played them!
You will buy a lottery ticket using the 5 numbers below and have to guess the last one.
This will assure you get 5 out of 6 numbers on the lottery and reduces
your jackpot winning chance to 1 in 44.

The numbers are in the below image. Good luck. Not that you need it.

6, 10, 22, 25 & 47

Marvin

That website is an incredibly cheap fake, the phrase is on the bus, not the URL, unlike the stucktomysofa and backwards Man Utd ones.

chand

Quote from: Marvin on September 08, 2009, 02:08:17 PM
That website is an incredibly cheap fake, the phrase is on the bus, not the URL, unlike the stucktomysofa and backwards Man Utd ones.

Yeah, the website is weirdly awful, I assumed it was fake. Those numbers do seem to be the ones from the lamp post in the trailer though, although they're probably just there as a hint of what the nature of the Event was gonna be in that case. Can't see Brown actually telling people to bet with his numbers.

koeman

I hope the programme ends with Brown saying 'Aw, bollocks, two and the bonus ball.'

JesusAndYourBush

What if he gets it wrong, then at the live events (being shown in split screen) a huge banner unfurls with the correct numbers on (or they could have it on the reverse of the big screen it's being projected on).  That'd rely on being able to print a fucking huge banner quickly after the numbers are announced on BBC1.

Artemis

Haha, you cabbers with your 'IT'S ALL SECRET PRINTERS' conspiracies.

The Duck Man

Quote from: chand on September 08, 2009, 01:42:08 PM6, 10, 22, 25 & 47
Looks like my Dad hasn't won, then.

I'm not the greatest follower of Brown's work, so I could be wrong, but isn't this stunt a little different from what he usually does? All the stuff I've seen him do is "mind-reading" or projection or whatever you want to call it. Whilst this is good old-fashioned magic seemingly.

George Oscar Bluth II

I'm genuinely fascinated. There's definitely more to this than him predicting the lottery.

Clone Army

Quote from: The Duck Man on September 08, 2009, 08:18:18 PM
I'm not the greatest follower of Brown's work, so I could be wrong, but isn't this stunt a little different from what he usually does? All the stuff I've seen him do is "mind-reading" or projection or whatever you want to call it. Whilst this is good old-fashioned magic seemingly.

I don't know, he's done the 'the real trick is on the audience' twist plenty of times before and publishing the numbers in advance seems to be setting up some kind of meta-trick in the vein of The System.

Side-note: I remember watching Uri Geller trying to bend my spoons on some Mark Speight fronted children's show once. Load of bullshit, my spoons remained unbent and Mark Speight is dead. Rubbish.

My guess is that the lottery IS broadcast with a slight delay and the "trick" is that they've spent a year getting an undercover stooge into the live draw staff. The Twitter talk about not being allowed to buy a ticket (which Andy Nyman has been joining in with) is to distract from the fact that they won't actually know the numbers until they're actually drawn.

Ugh, that seemed so clever when I was sober but now that I'm drunk it sounds SHIT. Oh well.

biggytitbo

Well he isn't psychic of course so he can't know the lottery numbers beforehand. And I think any kind of shenanigans would be highly illegal, so my prediction is he won't do it and the 'trick' will be about something else.

hpmons

The real trick is that he's planning a really really big terrorist attack and so both his show and the lottery will be cancelled.

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 08, 2009, 10:53:45 PM
Well he isn't psychic of course so he can't know the lottery numbers beforehand. And I think any kind of shenanigans would be highly illegal, so my prediction is he won't do it and the 'trick' will be about something else.

I think you could be right:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Note his description: "events of misdirection".

I take it there's no way to stream this live then? I'm excited about this and frustrated that I won't get to see it live.

Rev

You can stream C4 on tvcatchup.com.  Unless you're outside the UK, in which case you're buggered.

It being a bit of misdirection is a given, but what could the sneaky bastard be diverting our attention from?  I do hope it's not something as mundane as pick-pocketing people watching the projected broadcast.

Still Not George

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 08, 2009, 10:53:45 PM
You just can't handle the truth. Head over to truthdig, he's got the documentary proof about the secret printers. Remember, PRINTERS DON'T EAT PAPER!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If the lottery thing was going to be the most impressive 'event' they'd leave it til last in the series presumably.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 08, 2009, 12:41:29 PM
Imagine winning the lottery. Imagine what that would be like.

I expect you'd get a great deal of money. Isn't that how it works?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Rev on September 09, 2009, 07:49:16 AM
You can stream C4 on tvcatchup.com.  Unless you're outside the UK, in which case you're buggered.

Thanks, I love you. I'll give this a go tonight.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 09, 2009, 01:42:51 AMNote his description: "events of misdirection".

I've been thinking the same thing for a few days now - he says the same in that walking-backwards video.

Also note he's only saying he's going to predict the numbers - he hasn't said anything about predicting them correctly...

Tiny Poster

Isn't the "C4 won't let me buy a ticket" a bit of misdirection in itself? Because he can't actually produce a winning ticket as proof of his prediction.

biggytitbo

One suggestion I've heard is it'll be a partial failure, ie he'll predict 4 or 5 numbers, and he'll do it by having a sealed envelope with all the different combinations secreted somewhere which he'll reveal after the draw.