Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:01:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beatles Remasters [split topic]

Started by weirdbeard, April 07, 2009, 11:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Basically what happened is that they had two versions of the song they liked, but one was faster and in a different key than the other, so Martin had to speed up the first part, and slow down the second part, and splice them together. It wasn't intentional for it to sound weird and sinister, more that they didn't have the technology in those days to fix it properly.

The mono version has everything down the middle so it actually sounds more seamless when the two parts join.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Serge on September 07, 2009, 10:07:07 AM
I've 'only' got the stereo versions so far, but I was nearly crying with happiness. I'm glad to see it's not just me being a big soppy get.

Sometimes it takes something like this to help you reappraise music that might have become a tad tarnished by time due to years of over-familiarity.  I make no bones about being blown away by 'Love' a couple of years back, and went through similar re-epiphanies circa the Anthology.

In fact, my last.fm stats will probably show that I've played 'Love' more times than any Beatles album in recent years.  That may change in the next couple of months, but I still think it's a great, exciting, condensed Fabs primer.

Quote from: Serge on September 07, 2009, 10:07:07 AM
Whoever at EMI or Apple was responsible for letting the old CD versions stand as the official releases for so long should be taken out and shot.

Unlike Allen Klein, whose likewise recent death seems to be the start of similar things happening in the Stones catalogue, Aspinall did come across as a nice bloke.

Marvin

Damn, I can't find the mono versions anywhere.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Marvin on September 07, 2009, 01:54:27 PM
Damn, I can't find the mono versions anywhere.

Type Bolachas into Google and see what happens...

Marvin

Thanks for that, and to the person who sent me a link. Just listening to Hard Day's Night now.

lipsink

Jemble Fred

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 07, 2009, 02:41:57 PM
Type Bolchas into Google and see what happens...

I get nothing. Odd.

EDIT: Ah, BolAchas, I get it. Sorry.

Doctor Stamen

Christ's cock and balls, I put Helter Skelter on first.  Fucking incredible.

Jemble Fred

Sorry, excuse my stupidity, but which albums are best in mono, and where do the 'decent' stereo ones start? Isn't The White Album and onwards supposed to be heard in stereo?

Marvin

Quote from: Doctor Stamen on September 07, 2009, 03:13:57 PM
Christ's cock and balls, I put Helter Skelter on first.  Fucking incredible.

Yes, just listened to this now, it sounds genuinely awesome.

madhair60

I'm only just now getting into The Beatles.  Seems a good time to do so.  Why haven't I before?  Because I'm fucking ignorant, I suppose.

Where do I start?

biggytitbo

Quote from: madhair60 on September 07, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
I'm only just now getting into The Beatles.  Seems a good time to do so.  Why haven't I before?  Because I'm fucking ignorant, I suppose.

Where do I start?

Track 1, Please Please Me!

madhair60

Makes a lot of sense, that.

Edit: Holy SHIT, these sound fucking incredible.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 07, 2009, 02:41:57 PM
Type Bolachas into Google and see what happens...

I can't find anything Beatles related on that site. Am I an idiot?

Doctor Stamen

Abbey Road just sounds bloody incredible.  Revolver's up next.

All this and i'll have Rock Band tomorrow hopefully!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 07, 2009, 03:16:25 PM
Sorry, excuse my stupidity, but which albums are best in mono, and where do the 'decent' stereo ones start? Isn't The White Album and onwards supposed to be heard in stereo?

My opinion:

Mono - Please Please Me, With the Beatles, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour

Stereo - all the other ones

There's also the singles that weren't on any albums, I guess you can pick and choose between those

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 07, 2009, 04:18:25 PM
I can't find anything Beatles related on that site. Am I an idiot?

try the second bolachas site that google lists

many thanks for the indirect link PaulTMA, I've wanted to hear the albums in mono for years and years. I can't wait to hear them.

*excited*

Jemble Fred

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 07, 2009, 04:29:11 PM
My opinion:

Mono - Please Please Me, With the Beatles, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour

Stereo - all the other ones

There's also the singles that weren't on any albums, I guess you can pick and choose between those

Thank you! I think I'll start the stereo from The White Album then, plus Past Masters 2.

So is the Abbey Rd stereo newly mixed? Only I was listening to the Medley earlier today, from an old CD rip, and the separation of instruments was very jarring. I wondered why 'You Never Give Me Your Money' didn't get going for a minute, then realised I only had the left earpiece in, and nearly everything was on the right.

As somebody who has always pulled a face whenever the phrase 'sound quality' is uttered, it'll be very interesting to see what my ears think.

Marvin

A lot of The White Album sounds fantastic in the mono remaster though, haven't listened to the stereo one yet.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 07, 2009, 04:33:20 PM
Thank you! I think I'll start the stereo from The White Album then, plus Past Masters 2.

So is the Abbey Rd stereo newly mixed? Only I was listening to the Medley earlier today, from an old CD rip, and the separation of instruments was very jarring. I wondered why 'You Never Give Me Your Money' didn't get going for a minute, then realised I only had the left earpiece in, and nearly everything was on the right.

As somebody who has always pulled a face whenever the phrase 'sound quality' is uttered, it'll be very interesting to see what my ears think.

None of them are remixed. Abbey Road stereo is the original mix that's been on every release of it so far.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on September 07, 2009, 04:29:36 PM
try the second bolachas site that google lists

Ah yes, well that's confirmed then: I am an idiot. Thanks though!

I would check out those mono releaes, but at present I don't have an unzipper...and can't be doing with the fannying about right now.

But anyway, having not listened to any pre-'Hard Day's Night' Beatles for a long time, I decided with all this talk, I should do so this evening.  I'm still not overly keen on 'Please Please Me', probably muchly to do with the fact that I know there's so much better stuff to come.

However, I've just listened to it in one sitting and am now listening to 'With The Beatles'.  It's astounding how much better they became even within the months between the recording of those albums.  'With The Beatles', to my ears, is far superior.

Well, I bought the CD's of Rubber Soul, Pepper and Abbey Road on my lunchbreak this afternoon.

Bunged Abbey Road into the car CD player for the drive home from work, flicked it to 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)', ramped up the volume and drove for the duration with a ridiculous grin on my face. 

It's true what they're saying - Abbey Road, particularly the Side 2 Medley, sounds fucking phenomenal.

Just finished listening to Pepper on the hi-fi at home.  The reprise of 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' and the end of 'Day In The Life' .......PHHWOOOOARGH!!!

Could've had a little euphoric weep.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on September 07, 2009, 06:31:40 PM
It's true what they're saying - Abbey Road, particularly the Side 2 Medley, sounds fucking phenomenal.

Sorry, stereo or mono?

Marvin

The Masked Unit

So these Beatles then. They're quite good, are they?

weekender

That depends on whether or not you like music.

Somebody put me out of my misery - where's this quote from?

- Who's your favourite Beatle?
- Ringo Starr.
- Why?
- Because his name's Ringo Starr.