Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:41:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corporate gigs

Started by Backstage With Slowdive, September 15, 2009, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backstage With Slowdive

Who won't do them, who does loads of them, have any of us seen any "names" performing as part of our duties slaving for The Man to pay for Al Fresco boxsets?

CaledonianGonzo

I really, really need to track down the photo of my brother flashing a patently unamused Jimmy Carr onstage at the 2005 Call Centre Awards. 

http://www.callcentreawards.co.uk/party_entertainment.php

I'll see if he can retrieve it from his 'archive'.

In fairness to Carr, he did send up his former corporate gig ubiquity as part of Lee/Munnery/Jupp's rather wonderful Elizabeth and Raleigh: Late but Live.

Backstage With Slowdive

Wouldn't Fonejacker be a more appropriate host?

rudi

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 15, 2009, 05:57:40 PM
the 2005 Call Centre Awards. 

I bet the acceptance speeches were brutally kept within time.

Tokyo Sexwhale

I saw Chris Barrie at the Utility Awards a few years back.  He made a few jokes vaguely related to erm..utilities, handed out a few gongs for best sewage works and the like, then pissed off, no doubt with shit loads of cash, and his leccy bill paid.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: rudi on September 15, 2009, 09:38:32 PM
I bet the acceptance speeches were brutally kept within time.

Some of them were monitored for training purposes.

Tiny Poster

Rob Brydon and Jack Dee do them. Matt Lucas thinks they're great.
Viz used to have a section devoted to pictures of Jimmy Carr appearing at corporates.

rupert pupkin

I used to work for IPC (the magazine company) and Carr hosted their awards one year. I'm delighted to report that he died on his arse.

Ignatius_S

Didn't see it myself, as I wasn't working there at the time, but Future Publishing hired Graham Norton for one of its summer parties. This is absolutely ages ago and would have been just before he did his first C4 show. Apparently, went down an absolute storm - had obviously done a fair bit of preparation (he knew where the various managers were sitting, what they did etc) and made the whole thing effortless. On the other hand, other comedians (e.g. Arthur Smith) coasted and just stuck with their tried and tested material.

My godmother used to work at a hospital and told me about the time that Bob Monkhouse had been booked by a department for their Christmas do. He rather misjudged the audience, most of which were nurses, and his act (described to me as "very blue") went down very badly.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 15, 2009, 05:57:40 PM
...In fairness to Carr, he did send up his former corporate gig ubiquity as part of Lee/Munnery/Jupp's rather wonderful Elizabeth and Raleigh: Late but Live.

Not to mention his racist Morris dancing.

dumpster

I saw an unknown Ross Noble supporting headliner Steve Coogan at a conference for Game in Birmingham years ago.

Ross Noble was amazing, riffing and improvising a whole set about Playstations and the massive Fifa Cardsboard stands on the stage.

Coogan did the old Paul Calf act he'd done hundreds of times, and that everyone had seen on video and TV many times.

Ross Noble did about 30 mins - Coogan did about 7. 

Noble got a standing ovation.  Coogan got a taxi.