Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inglourious Basterds

Started by Famous Mortimer, September 15, 2009, 09:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I went to see this at the cinema last night.

It was too long.
I think it was the goriest film I've ever seen. (Or perhaps I just have a selective memory.) I hid behind my fingers for lots of bits. I know it was the point, but the unnecessary violence was unnecessary.
I didn't like Brad Pitt at all and couldn't understand him half the time.
It was funny and exciting in the right places, but the other things spoilt it for me.

bennett

Quote from: Wadded Bliss on September 15, 2009, 11:40:12 PM
Ta. I'm not really a fan of cinemas, although I'll go if there's a film that warrants it; generally if they're 'big' films: Star Trek and the like. I'll probably torrent IB.

Firstly, I'm very sorry if I come off like a twat and I'm not picking on you, but I don't understand how anyone can be a fan of film and not a fan of the cinema.  Unless you have an extremely good projector and phenomenal surround sound set-up you're always going to be getting a below par experience at home (in fact even with those it's not perfect).  If you're not watching light projected through film then it's second rate.  If you want me to explain why I will, it'll just take time.

And secondly, and this will make me sound like a twat to the majority of you I imagine - I never download/stream music or films and those of you that do should have more respect. 

Sorry, just felt i had to get that off my chest.

As for the film, it's brilliant.  as has already been mentioned - it's the build up of the slow scenes in itself that makes them so watchable.  Tarantino had obviously been watching a load of Sergio Leone beforehand and the growing sense of death stalking each scene is awesome.  It's right up there with 'Once Upon A Time In The West'.  And the final scene with cinema itself destroying the Nazi high command is both insightful and a great spectacle that had people cheering in my cinema - Although for some reason they stopped at the shot of Hitler's face being blown apart...

And don't consider violence in films to be 'unnecesary' just because critics tell you it is.  The majority of today's film critics are uneducated (at least in a filmic sense) idiots anyway. Shocking violence should (in my opinion) be present in all war films.  War is shockingly violent and even films that parody war should never allow the audience to forget that.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: bennett on October 01, 2009, 04:32:30 PMAnd don't consider violence in films to be 'unnecesary' just because critics tell you it is.  The majority of today's film critics are uneducated (at least in a filmic sense) idiots anyway. Shocking violence should (in my opinion) be present in all war films.  War is shockingly violent and even films that parody war should never allow the audience to forget that.

For the vast majority of people, war is misery, not violence. By your logic, even films that parody war should never allow the audience to forget that. But we saw minimal misery, and maximum gleeful violence.
Besides which, it isn't the violence itself I have an issue with, it's the grotesque detail of what we were shown, rather than having it made clear how grotesque the violence was, through other means.

Also, what makes you think a critic told me it was unnecessary? It's true that you have come across as a twat. Even though I agree with you re the cinema being best.

Jemble Fred

I have to admit that none of the violence in IB struck me as especially notable. Certainly Kill Bill was a hundred times more gory and scrap-packed.

matt

Inglourious definitely warrants being seen in the cinema. I agree that there are some films that don't (although fairly few), but IB I think would lose a huge amount by being seen on a telly, particularly the climactic scenes.

bennett

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on October 01, 2009, 05:33:25 PM
For the vast majority of people, war is misery, not violence. By your logic, even films that parody war should never allow the audience to forget that. But we saw minimal misery, and maximum gleeful violence.
Besides which, it isn't the violence itself I have an issue with, it's the grotesque detail of what we were shown, rather than having it made clear how grotesque the violence was, through other means.

Also, what makes you think a critic told me it was unnecessary? It's true that you have come across as a twat. Even though I agree with you re the cinema being best.

Yeah, I'm shit at making sense of myself at times.  I figured what I was trying to say was going to come across wrong.  Apologies. 

I'm aware that war is misery, and that's not the point I was trying to make.  It's more that even in films that are lauded for their 'realism' in depicting war and suffering, it's very rare for them to actually show truly gruesome injuries and more often than not it's left to an actor to portray the pain through his clenched, yet still immaculately made up face.  It was a pleasant change to see some properly shocking violence in a war film for once.  And even more pleasant to see 'good' characters descend into the gleeful bloodlust that is usually reserved for the 'evil' characters.  I love moral ambiguities - and it's another brilliant throwback to Leone.

And the critics statement was more me projecting my avid hate of most newspaper film critics onto your comments.  For that I apologise, I should have more respect for the intelligence of others.

That probably doesn't make any more sense.

Wadded Bliss

Quote from: bennett on October 01, 2009, 04:32:30 PM
Firstly, I'm very sorry if I come off like a twat and I'm not picking on you, but I don't understand how anyone can be a fan of film and not a fan of the cinema.  Unless you have an extremely good projector and phenomenal surround sound set-up you're always going to be getting a below par experience at home (in fact even with those it's not perfect).  If you're not watching light projected through film then it's second rate.  If you want me to explain why I will, it'll just take time.

Nah, you don't sound like a twat. Just an absolute cunt ;-)

Firstly, I wouldn't consider myself a 'fan' of film. There are films that interest me and films that don't. If the film interests me enough I'll go and see it. If I don't go and see it it doesn't bother me like, I expect, it does to a true film fan. (Although not being a fan, I'm only guessing here.)

I don't enjoy the experience of being in a cinema. I don't like having to share my viewing pleasure with strangers. I don't like being manipulated (by the film/director) in front of a load of people I don't know. I feel self-conscious and paranoid.

I agree with the second rate nature of watching at home, as far as the audio-visual aspect is concerned. But I have to measure this against the uncomfortability of watching on the big screen.

And torrents? I'll d/l them to watch films. If I like the film enough I'll buy the DVD. I consider torrents as tasters, if you will.

Marty McFly

Quote from: Wadded Bliss on October 01, 2009, 06:16:32 PMI don't enjoy the experience of being in a cinema. I don't like having to share my viewing pleasure with strangers. I don't like being manipulated (by the film/director) in front of a load of people I don't know. I feel self-conscious and paranoid.

"Eee, look at that twat three rows back! He's only sitting there watching the fookin' film!"

Seriously, if going to the cinema makes you self-conscious and paranoid, I think you need help.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The one problem I have with the cinema is that the very bigness of the experience overwhelms the analytical bit of my brain. I often find it easier to really think about a film when I can watch it at home.

Saucer51

I've just seen this DVD and it's one of QT's better films.
I loved

Au revoir, Shoshanna! (why didn't he shoot her as she ran away after brutally slaughtering her family?)

Hans Landa full stop.

Shoshanna briefly imagining Goebbels going at his translator from behind

In the basement scene, after all the gunfire had died down, the surviving German soldier calling out and his being replied by an invisible Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt). What was so funny was that Raine couldn't be trusted and his disembodied voice echoing around the bierkellar was a great moment. But that's just me.

One Question: Hitler was slaughtered in the cinema along with much of his top brass. Fascinating bit of artistic license there.

Mr Colossal

Being a soundtrack fan, I thought the inclusion of bowie/moroders cat people soundtrack 'putting out fire', which was lauded by tarantino lovies, was a horrific decision.  They didnt even play it when anything was happening... Knowing it was coming,  I envisaged it over a gratituous fiery grave, but  it preceeded the burning and just played over some lifeless filler scene in the projection room where there wasn't the slightest bit of action, or rousing cut-scenes 'a la preparation' so it just played over this dead space and stuck out like a sore thumb being completely unlike anything in the film, like a bizarre game of 'spot the odd one out'. Apart from that I thought it was brilliant.

Ginyard

I'm with you there, Mr Colossal. Bloody weird choice of music that wrenched me out of the moment.

I think the beginning with that hard looking farmer and the mental nazi was one of the best bits of cinema I've ever seen. It almost felt operatic in places, partly because of that mad cinema slaughter scene and the distinct 'acts' that could be placed on a stage.

Favourite bit: Pitt's 'Arrivederci'.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteOne Question: Hitler was slaughtered in the cinema along with much of his top brass. Fascinating bit of artistic license there.

Ever since that scene I've had an occasional fantasy where Ian Beale machine-guns Pat Butcher to death on Eastenders. I generally like it when films and tv shows play against people's expectations.

hoverdonkey

Finally saw this a couple of nights ago and really enjoyed it. Agree with shoulders about the gleeful ratcheting up of the tension. The writing and direction in the opening scene and the bar scene is superb, you just feel QT is toying with his audience, really having fun. The Basterds weren't as prominent as I thought they might be and I would have liked to have seen some more of them before the bar scene.

Mike Myers hovered just the right side of acceptable, although I suppose whenever he does an English accent, Austin Powers is going to seep through.

Loved the 'Arrivederci' line too.