Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Fonts

Started by Neil, September 17, 2009, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

...no, really!  I don't know much about them, and thought I'd ask some of you arty types.  Any good recommendations?  Especially for TV/movie titles and stuff like that. 

buttgammon

(Nah, not that type).

I'm hardly an expert but Johnston (best known for its use across the London Underground) is a really nice typeface, clear and crisp.

Example

wherearethespoons

That above post actually made me laugh, well done Buttgammon.

Anyway, I've always liked Verdana and had a bit of a soft spot for silkscreen; http://kottke.org/plus/type/silkscreen/

chocky909

Quote from: chocky909 on September 18, 2009, 12:41:30 AM

Fonts are meant to have all the letters, not just a repetition of 'a'.

Neil

Quote from: Taggerno justification for such an oblique thread

I can justify, right! (or left, or middle.)  (I'm probably pointing out what you're clearly implying.)

I'm doing stuff for the next night of (spam), and want to make nice (spam) logo thingys, and test cards, and programme menus, and all that bizness.  I must start a thread in here about submissions, actually, been meaning to do that as thus far it's buried in the midst of the CaB Radio thread. 

Dark Sky

You know what, I really really hate people who think they have some kind of artistic temperament simply because they say, "urgh, I hate comic sans!"  These tend to be the same people who think that Arial is more readable than Times New Roman. 

Having a vendetta against comic sans is like slagging off Paris Hilton.  It's just lazy, predictable and dull, and also completely fails to point out how good she can be when used correctly.

wherearethespoons

Dark Sky has gone mental. Nobody has slagged off Comic Sans in this thread or in the tags.

P.S. Comic Sans really is shit and Paris Hilton is a scabby cunthole.

Dark Sky

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Comic Sans MS is shit through its over-use by people who think Arial is too stuffy. It was also synonymous for years by way of it being the go-to font for anyone that thought desktop publisher was an acceptable program for people to use to make signs and adverts for use in public. Because of those connotations, I really dislike it.

Arial would be shit if something was wrong with it other than it being a bit too boring.

I enjoy Myriad as an alternative to Arial and Minion as an alternative to Times New Roman.

Times New Roman reminds me of being about 9 years old and sitting at 3.1 for Workgroups computers in primary school. So I guess not all bad memories.

sirhenry

I've done a fair bit of professional font designing in the last few years, and so find it impossible to answer your question. The range and variety of fonts available today is overwhelming and there's a font for just about every possible mood or function. It depends entirely on what impression you want to make with it. Imagine it was about music and you might see the problem:
QuoteI don't know much about music, and thought I'd ask some of you arty types.  Any good recommendations?  Especially for TV/movie titles and stuff like that.
However, if you're trying to spoof TV shows or movies, there are a couple of sites with free downloads that might be of use:
http://famousfonts.smackbomb.com/
http://www.free-fonts.com/famous_fonts.html

In answer to your thread title, my favourite font is Bembo, a gorgeous old font, full of character and totally inappropriate for TV work. I even had the nickname 'Captain Bembo' for a while, way back when.

Retinend

Book Antiqua

All those little tails give it a really nice, crisp look to an essay of text.

Jemble Fred

I had the serious hots for Gill Sans, and wrote a whole book in it, to the point that I found it hard to get anything written if it wasn't available. But they got rid of it at work, the only place I can print, so I've had to wean myself off, onto plain old Times.

I must download the Beatles font, actually, this thread has reminded me.

sirhenry

Quote from: Retinend on September 19, 2009, 02:21:07 PM
Book Antiqua
All those little tails give it a really nice, crisp look to an essay of text.
But look at the tail on this beauty!

alan nagsworth

Always been a favourite of mine. Smart, simple, looks cooler than Arial.

I'm no font elitist, but is there anything tackier than when the default Wordarts are used on notices or advertisements in offices/colleges etc?

It instantly makes anything look 63% more amateurish. Especially as they're ususally accompanied by one of these badboys.

alan nagsworth

Wordart is the spawn of satan. When will people realise that we are not living in the '90s any more? Seriously, minimalism is the way forward. Keep it simple for fucks sakes.

Doesn't it look like those two blokes are giving that woman a Chinese burn? Look at the colour difference between her two wrists. I guess that's like hazing ... in the office.

Baxter

Aaaarrhhh! Serifs!

I was discussing this the other day with my UI design lecturer and she pulled up 'Helvetica' in fireworks on the network and horror of horrors it was just arial re-named! I felt quite sick.

I think the Light style is the nicest but I can't stand it in obliques or italics.

I also like it's cousin univers, I'd hate to live in a word without sans-serifs.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotehttp://cootelibeau.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/clipart.gif

Scrap the WordArt and the comic sans obviously, but they should make a comeback. I remember in the late 90's you could download (theoretically that is) millions of those captions. I wonder if anyone tried making a comic strip out of them.

djtrees

This is boringly one of my favourite fonts as it replaces Comic Sans in a lot of school I teach in and Comic Sans is ridiculous. Not terrible just really juvenile. Sassoon Primary is loads better cos it has the same none curly "a" thing, so its good for writing stuff for small children who get confused by that curly "a" thing. I'm sure there is a proper name for that bit on the a, but I can't be arsed looking for it. So there.

Saucer51

I like curlz

I put in on bold and colour it pink and it's the signature in my emails. I use California for my email address underneath.

Danger Man

Although I love 'Helvetica' I feel strangely compelled to mention 'Albertus'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

AsparagusTrevor

I've always liked Frutiger

Nice and simple. Plus you can have it in Ultra-Black weight which is bold as fuck.

mook

CaledonianGonzo

Kismet is a nice and swirly psychedelic-style font:

boki

Quote from: Dark Sky on September 18, 2009, 11:22:49 AMYou know what, I really really hate people who think they have some kind of artistic temperament simply because they say, "urgh, I hate comic sans!"  These tend to be the same people who think that Arial is more readable than Times New Roman.

Arial is more readable than Times New Roman!  IMHO, of course but veryextremelyincredibly true.  But that's missing the point, 'cos Gill Sans is better for the lean, clean look.

Spoiler alert
Dare I mention that CaB used to be in Comic Sans?
[close]

Quote from: Neil on September 17, 2009, 10:57:52 PM
Any good recommendations?  Especially for TV/movie titles and stuff like that.

I've got one which is basically a rip-off of the Pepsi label style.  That might look ok depending on what sort of feel you're going for.

purlieu

Quote from: Baxter on September 22, 2009, 06:14:44 AM
I was discussing this the other day with my UI design lecturer and she pulled up 'Helvetica' in fireworks on the network and horror of horrors it was just arial re-named!

I use Verdana on everything.  I've yet to find a font that looks nicer to my eyes.  Luvvly.

Desi Rascal

Amaze gives a nice olde worlde postcard effect