Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who the fu*k are they? (please feel free to join in)

Started by splattermac, February 05, 2004, 11:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splattermac

There isn't a thread knocking around at the moment to just chuck in names

My two are a bit gay,

Scissor Sisters and Dresden Dolls,

what do you know about them, me, not much, Scissor Sisters covered Floyd's Comfortably numb and that's how I heard of them, grabbed the album and its pretty good, sleazy and humorous.

Dresden Dolls, I just followed a stumbled upon link from a Magnetic Fields fan and watched a couple of videos, I like the Sparks-esque girl anachronism but that's misleading because as a two piece the visuals don't match the sound, you could be mistaken for watching her sat at the piano doing a sort of NIN Depeche mode Tori Amos Lisa Minelli thing, it's certainly cabaret and I'm not sure if they are heading anywhere but I don't doubt the pink pound will line their coffers.

http://www.dresdendolls.com/video/index.htm

edit: PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN IN AND POST SOME BANDS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR INTEREST. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO HOST MP3s, JUST A FEW WORDS AND A LINK OR TWO, THANKS :)

imitationleather

Is Scissor Sisters' album completely different to their cover of Comfortably Numb? If not, I'd rather have cancer than listen to it. Well, maybe not. But I really fucking hate their version of that song.

splattermac

I know these things are heresy to the hardcore but I like the disrespect some artists show those whom they cover.

Start to finish I've enjoyed the Scissor Sisters LP a few times, you on the other hand might have an aneurysm at how revoltingly bland it is to your ears, gawd knows, I know you don't have webspace but do you still have broadband?

Otherwise here's hoping the HMV listening stations are plugging them.

Grab electrobix, monkey baby and filthy and gorgeous

imitationleather

It's not because I'm some hardcore Pink Floyd fan and I think that the cover of Comfortably Numb is sacraliege, I don't like it because it sahnds baaad. I saw them on Top of the Pops and after a few minutes of staring at their self-aware wackiness and high-pitch vocals I found myself shouting, "No! Stop, stop!"

I am fully equipped to enjoy a reworking (I am one of only two people on the planet who thinks The Mike Flowers Pops version of Wonderwall was alright. The other person is my future wife who I haven't met yet) but I just can't stand this one.

I do have ADSL so I'll probably end up downloading it, but while I am I'll be rubbing a soap over myself, trying to wash off the dirt of shame.

splattermac

they were on top of the pops, fuck me I'm in a world of my own, that must mean they got in the top 40

if you don't like the helium Beck vocals then leave well alone.

fanny splendid

Yeah, that version is okay. I hate it when bands take a song like comfortably numb, turn the heat up, and let it simmer, reducing it to a compote of it's former self until it's er... cheesy.

I quite like the way theysaid, sod it, we're doing it our way.

On radio 4 ages ago, there was a program about some guys in New York, I think, who had created reggae versions of pink floyd songs. They were surprisingly good.

european son

Quote from: "imitationleather"I am fully equipped to enjoy a reworking (I am one of only two people on the planet who thinks The Mike Flowers Pops version of Wonderwall was alright. The other person is my future wife who I haven't met yet) but I just can't stand this one.

Noel Gallagher apparently didn't mind it at all. He didn't let The Smurfs release their version though.

splattermac

and ... who the fuck are Fuck? their new album is nice and mellow, they've been compared to Pavement but I don't see it myself, he pens a poor lyric compared to Mad Malky but nonetheless 'those aren't my bongos' is very nice, their fourth album I'm told, John Peel likes them, probably because he can swear on air whenever the band has a rude name or rude song name, I've heard a few fucks from Peely and one cunt, which made me giggle

blue jammer

Are they the same 'Fuck' that did 'Panties Off' ? heh, I downloaded a load of their songs, after hearing Peel announce "..and that was Fuck - Panties Off" - 'twas quite good, and nothing at all like Clodplay :-/

Rubbish Monkey

i have noticed 2 versions of The Scissor Sisters (its a term for lesbians you know) Album on Soulseek.

hey the second time i shall use the list function...way hey
[list=1]  
[*]Intro
[*]electrobix
[*]comfortably numb
[*]someone to touch
[*]music is the victim
[*]backwoods
[*]step aside for the man
[*]filty and gorgeous
[*]monkey baby
[*]bicyling with the devil
[*]laura
[*]doctor ...
[*]return to ox
[/list:o]
and 3rd time....
[list=1][*]laura
[*]take your mama out
[*]comfortably numb
[*]mary
[*]lovers in the backseat
[*]tits on the radio
[*]filty and georgeous
[*]music is the victim
[*]better luck next time
[*]return to oz
[/list:o]

couple of good remixes doing the rounds too....
comfortably numb - paper faces mix
electrobix - hungry wives passive depressive mix

any way lookie they on tour too....

Bristol Louisiana (6)
Birmingham Academy 2 (8)
Leicester Charlotte (9)
Manchester University (12)
Glasgow School Of Art (13)
Edinburgh the Venue (14)
Leeds Cockpit (15)
Liverpool Academy (18)
London Astoria (April 3)
probobly some dates here but i can't find them...
Wolverhampton Wulfrun (April 12)

errr....

Wrigby

Goldie Lookin' Chain

If you ain't heard these boys yet, you will soon enough.  They're a bunch of lads from Newport (wales) all done up in Kappa shell suits, hoodies and chains, straight outta da Vallies man. They did a live set on Zane Lowe last night, where they showcased two subtly humorous numbers, "Your Mothers Got A Penis" and the superb "Half Man Half Machine". I wasn't that impressed when I first heard them a year or so ago, but I've warmed to them since due to them being friends of friends - Not from Newport meself, but I certainly know a few who are, and IMO this lot are perfect ambassadors for the place.

Think the Streets crossed with Blazin Squad crossed with Half Man Half Biscuit crossed with that bunch of scallies hanging round the Spar drinking Lambrini...

From the bbc wales site:

QuoteGLC got one over on the British media when celebrity mag Heat printed a story suggesting stroppy teen warbler Charlotte Church was working with GLC. Headlined 'Charlotte Church's new band!', the article claimed that she'd sung backing vocals on the tracks Monkey Love and Stick It In Cider, and that her boyfriend Steven Johnson was Mystikal in the band.
The story was picked up by Jonathan Ross and Liquid News. Needless to say, it was a load of lies, and Heat were forced to issue an apology after La Church's lawyers stepped in. One up to the 'Port massive.

NattyDread

Quote from: "fanny splendid"
On radio 4 ages ago, there was a program about some guys in New York, I think, who had created reggae versions of pink floyd songs. They were surprisingly good.

It sounds like you're talking about 'Easy Star Allstars' with 'Dub Side Of The Moon'. A whole dub and DJ style cover of 'Dark Side..'. Works better than I'd have thought it would. Great summer barbecue album.

Do you remember the programme name by any chance? Just in case it's still in their archives.

fanny splendid

No, sorry. It was at least a year ago. Thanks for the names, though.

splattermac

Quote from: "Wrigby"Goldie Lookin' Chain

playing in Newport this very evening, the NCLA

NattyDread

Quote from: "splattermac"and ... who the fuck are Fuck?

That lot have been added to week 2 of All Tomorrow's Parties.

23 Daves

It seems to be just about every month now I hear about a  band who sound really exciting, original, amusing and every other adjective there is, only to get hold of or find out about their product to hear they sound like Hoxtonite ironic wank.

The last candidates were Selfish Cunt.  I really thought their "Britain is Shit" single, with it's "Your Asses Bleed while your Govenment Leads" sleeve, would sound like some mutant Earl Brutus/ punk rock soundclash thing.  It just sounds like a substandard indie band getting angry in someone's bedroom, though, with some very whiney wet vocals trying hard to sound agry on top.  "Bwwwitain!  Is Shit!".  They were in The Guardian's "Bands to watch in 2004" list.  No they're not.  People were doing this thing in a DIY style much better in the late 70s.

Then there's Scissor Sisters.  Terrible.  Just give them some false afro wigs and funny seventies glasses and they could be booked in at Fresher's Balls across the land.  Just because they're from New York.  If they'd been from Essex they'd be written off as the novelty wank they are.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "23 Daves"It seems to be just about every month now I hear about a band who sound really exciting, original, amusing and every other adjective there is, only to get hold of or find out about their product to hear they sound like Hoxtonite ironic wank.

The last candidates were Selfish Cunt ...They were in The Guardian's "Bands to watch in 2004" list.  No they're not.

Hell yeah ... Selfish Cunt played with my friends band at the ICA last year and overran their set time, so they literally were selfish cunts. They were also extremely boring. Not like local Bristol punk band Hacksaw. They're a two piece but the drummer sometimes does a song on his own playing the drums, guitar, and singing at the same time. *That's* entertainment ...
You're right on the money with the comment about there seeming to be a fresh exciting new band emerging every month. Maybe it's because PR and the music press have merged to form one bloated bullshit spewing hype machine ...

TraceyQ

Silver SurferGhost

Is this a bad time to mention David Devant And His Spirit Wife?

Only, I quite like them...

mr rou-rou

while it lasts, the Scissor Sisters album in flash format

I didn't get to see them on Thursday due to misjudging my ability to function whilst tired and boozing, plus a belly full of curry was hardly motivation.

mr rou-rou

edit: that's weird, I'm sure I clicked edit, arse

TraceyQ

Doctor Stamen

Saw The Delays supporting Tim Burgess in the academy 2 last year, they were okay.

TraceyQ

I think to myself... Nice boys, good hair, but the voice? Belinda Carlisle.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Chikinki

Who the fuck are they?

I've heard of them because they're from 'round these parts (Bristol), but I don't recall seeing them live anywhere. They've got an irritating flash only website here.
I seem to remember my heavy rocking friends Gonga mentioning them without vomiting, so I guess they must be passable. Or not. Zane Lowe loves them, but then he's enthusiastic to the point of insanity about every band in existence.

You're welcome, for all the help I didn't give you.

TraceyQ

mr rou-rou

Plej anyone? any whores out there like a deep house groove with bedroom/earphone dancing intimacy?

I saw the album title and thought it was a compilation and seeing as I'm still enjoying the Scandinavian vibe from about 2 years ago I thought I'd check them out, and I'm just getting ready to go into town and it's already been played twice, it's top

Plej - Electronic Music From The Swedish Left Coast

rightclicksavetargetas - Plej - Blue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/dance/reviews/plej_electronic.shtml

mr rou-rou

me again,

Secret Machines ?! Now Here Is Nowhere LP

I had an ep from a while back and it didn't really do anything for me, but they have an album out and some whores into the Flaming lips might be interested in their sound, not swirly lips but more rocky lips, some cosmic dust in places, maybe a bit granddaddy as well, Here is Nowhere the track lifts a riff straight from a Strokes tune, the name of which escapes me.

I can't find any of my usual haunts reviewing it so no link, sorry.

blue jammer

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"

Plej - Electronic Music From The Swedish Left Coast

rightclicksavetargetas - Plej - Blue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/dance/reviews/plej_electronic.shtml

Excellent stuff, most enjoyable, and one that'll get many many listens :thumbsup: