Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who the fu*k are they? (please feel free to join in)

Started by splattermac, February 05, 2004, 11:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splattermac

Chad Vangaalen

I've seen this guy mentioned before on Canadian blogs but his name put me off wanting to listen, come on, Chad Vangaalen conjures up something horribly American, possibly in suede with a cowboy hat and only Jon Voight can carry off that look. Anyway he's Canadian.

I eventually did get a listen when I saw his self-animated video for 'Clinically dead' http://tinyurl.com/84x95 (bottom of the page) and it reminded me of Merz's 'engine heart', slightly squewiff and with lyrics about machines. Not enough songs about machines in my opinion. I like 'Clinically Dead', it's a sort of Wayne Coyne/Neil Young recording for Sub Pop, much like a later track off the album called 'Red Blood' which is very grungy. There are other parts where he harmonizes with himself and you get a nice 'Kings of Convenience' similarity. He has one of those voices where you'll either enjoy his sweet coos and warblings or you'll camp out in a hide waiting to plug him with lead when he alights on the bird bath!

His LP 'Infiniheart' is selected works from the last ten years work so that could account for why it reminds me of mid ninety's songs in places.

Anyhoo, here's a couple of tracks

Clinically Dead
after the afterlife
echo train
red blood

I might swap some of those around because it makes him sound like a one trick pony.

lazyhour

Bah, Grandaddy have lots of songs about machines, yet you wrinkle your cute little nose at them!

Shame on you, splatterou.

Now to investigate this Chad feller.  Thanks for the links and info.  As ever, it's appreciated.  Discovering new and interesting music RULEZ!

didgeripoo

Here's an interesting band from San Diego:

lowcloudcover

I found them when I was doing a brief 'tour' of California (i.e four gigs in LA and one in San Diego) with my old band last year, and they blew us off stage when we played with them in Encinitas.

They're kind of drone-rock-ish...I can't quite place their sound, but their '...I Took A Second Too Long' EP is really nice. I sent off for it and everything. There are MP3s on the site and on their MySpace page.

This is the second track off the EP I've got - it's them at their poppiest really, the rest of what they do tends to be a bit moodier and more droney:

Menace

TraceyQ

Youth Group

We (well, the people I organise gigs with) at the Wharf Bar 10 www.10lives.co.uk convinced these guys to play and they were wonderful. I'm getting Grant Lee Buffalo, I'm getting Mercury Rev with notes of Ryan Adams.

They're on tour now and they can't be bad, cos they really liked Walsall.

Rubbish Monkey

You Say Party! We Say Die!

A Canadian six peice (3 blokes, 3 ladies) who sound kind of like Go! Team. Kind of.
They have one of those myspace things that all the kids have http://www.myspace.com/yousaypartywesaydie

Here's some mp3 thingys for listening:

Love in the new millenium (your pants my couch).

The gap (between the rich and the poor)

Just though i'd mention them since I gave them a quick listen today at work.

splattermac

and the lefthanded

Quite hard to find anything to write about these guys, perhaps if I knew how to use the Finnish version of Google (said with an accent) I could scare you up some history. What I do know is I heard Rocket Rock last year and had no idea who it was by. Then recently while scanning internet radio stations I heard the track followed by the all important announcement of who it was by! So I pounced on the track and discovered it belonged to an LP and was surprised to find it was as recent as 2004, I thought it was some obscure early 90s thing.

So while I was listening to the album I read up on them. I can't find any of their stuff from their original line up (Larry and the lefthanded) but I read they had success in Finland with their Surf Rock sound before falling out and dropping a member and the Larry part of the name.

Then I found some links to other bands I like/used to like so it was inevitable I was going to bump into their music. Remember an old MTV favourite video by Opl:Bastards called Scorpius? Well it was from about 2000 so maybe you don't. Anyhow Opl:bastards are members of 'and the lefthanded' and more recently helped Norwegian popster Annie to cool success. They used to be on Norway's Telle records so don't know how I missed them although their site hasn't worked for a bit.

'and the lefthanded' are

Timo A Kaukolampi – vocals, bassist and guitarist
Mikko "Zico/Vilunki 3000" Viljakainen – organ/synths and theremin
Hannu Anttilainen - drums

From the reviews online you have mentions of bands like Kraftwerk (again!), Joy Division (again!) and Stereolab (again!)

Two masters has a sort of Riders on the storm/Electrelane vibe about it.

Another nice instrumental, this time with an older krauty sound, L.V.K.M 1972

It's a pretty varied album and I'm hammering in the car, it's great music to motor along to on a rainy night with the wipers on. Apart from Rocket Rock which is a liablity as it makes me want to pilot a rocket!

A couple more tracks to show you another side to their non-instrumental sound. I'm sure there are a couple of new synth-hair bands that would love to lift the nice synth build up from Cheap Cigar. Then you have Monday boy where you can hear a legacy of their surf guitar and it's sung with the vocal stylings of Suicide's Alan Vega.

splattermac

Blimey the Youth Group sound like James. VPRO are streaming their album at the moment http://tinyurl.com/bz8an

Just listen to Shadowlands. I know it's transported me back to times when I had a dirty great James poster on my bedroom wall, ceiling to floor it was. Had the t-shirt (I loved that t-shirt), had the albums, went to the gigs... and I wasn't even a big fan.

For the nostalgia flashback alone I've enjoyed listening to it.

smoker

fiasco

sounding in their own words like a cross between bowie, the clash, daft punk and duran duran. i know of them through ikeepadiary.com, and they sound pretty damn good to me, especially don't walk away, happy hour and those feelings

Mr Colossal

Quote from: "smoker"fiasco

sounding in their own words like a cross between bowie, the clash, daft punk and duran duran.

The one im listening to sounds more like Heaven 17 Vs Ian drury with a splash of bee gees thrown in to spice things up.  Clap clap.