Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who the fu*k are they? (please feel free to join in)

Started by splattermac, February 05, 2004, 11:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr rou-rou

someone here likes the Boredoms, come on, own up! (edit, it's Nattydread, joe_totale & Kawaii Five-O , isn't the search function a wonderful thing?)

have you heard of these lot, a related band?

OOIOO (Pronounced "oh-oh-eye-oh-oh")

http://birdmanrecords.com/ooioo.html (realplayer samples)

OOIOO give another face to the kitsch world of Japanese noise rock.

I like stuff like this for the very reason it's how all music sounds when I'm pissed. It's part proggy Hawkwind attack, some psyche dub, rock drum and bass, experimental funk and wicked pixies grown from Yoko Ono's teeth.

I bet they are top night out :)

sample 1 runs into sample 2 runs into sample 3 runs into sample 4

Be sure to loop has a Sonic Youth quality
Ah Yeah is a bit like Stereolab rocking out
etc

thank you for listening

lazyhour

You can add lazyhour to the Boredoms list.

I had the chance to see OOIOO in Japan, but I passed it up 'cos I'm a twat.

Anyone who hasn't heard Vision Creation Newsun by Boredoms is missing a treat.  I don't have any links to fantastic Boredoms thing, though.  I'm not mr rou-rou.

chand

I like The Boredoms as well. And OOIOO. And that Yoshimi & Yuka album from last year. Do I get a prize?

And yeah, 'Vision Creation Newsun' is fantastic.

lazyhour

Yep, here's your prize: A Boredoms concert just for you!

Did you enjoy it?

Phillippe Lambert

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Chromeo and Chikinki

Who the fuck are they?

Chromeo are cool. Saw them about a month ago in nottingham. hehe. by chance. but they were cool. like a prince/cameo/something else fusion. i liked them. good album too. in my humble opinion.

splattermac

In keeping with my fetish for Canadian music, here's a group obviously influenced by a certain Manchester group,

a short album but once you've stuck in on the earphones and tweaked the bass a bit it's a bewdy.

Vancouver five peice, The Organ

samples taken from 'Grab that Gun' LP

Brother

Love, love, love

Basement Band song

Steven Smith

Memorize the city

Neil

Ah that's cheered me up.  I was thinking that the 00's were so utterly bland that noone would ever look back and think "Christ, what were we like."  So it's nice to see that the fashion now is to have a haircut that's so dreadful that it looks like it's been done by your mum.  Who is blind.  And has prosthetic arms.  And...etc.

Maybe the nostalgia market in the 2030's isn't fucked after all!

splattermac

get yourself out to where these dollybirds hang out and when you see one with a pretty face it's almost made better by the more ridiculous her hair is, otherwise she might look too perfect you see?

house of love, smiths, joy division, blondie - it's catchy stuff nelly

imitationleather

Hmm... They'd be better with a different vocalist.

splattermac

oh you guys, they'll be your new favourite band in a month or two ;)

can you view this streaming video? I registered with the site and I'm not sure if it's a cookie thing, from the properties I worked out the direct link

http://umbrellamusic.com/asx/theorgan-brother-high.asx

Are you still sure a different lead singer, I like her and her handsome looks?

Neil

Quote from: "splattermac"get yourself out to where these dollybirds hang out...

Skips?  Dumps?  Hair-dresser training schools?

Thanks and all, but I'll stick with blue hair and/or glasses.  That's right, I go pulling down the geriatrics ward.

imitationleather

Tsk, you won't catch me with a Yank (America/Canada, it's all the same innit?) new favourite band. The Yeah Yeah whos?

I'll take a gander at the video tomorrow. I shouldn't really now because I'm so tired that I can't remember my own name. Feck, I wanted an early start n'all.

splattermac

I've just been to see Midnight Movies, one of my favourite albums of this year. I bumped into two fantastic girls who were just lovely and between us we abducted the keyboard player Jason and he is still with them, he'll get eaten alive if he's lucky.

I just want to big them up because having met them and had a natter they are just three top people making tunes and they have a small following back home in LA and apparently they are little known in Europe although XFM and Radio6 have recently played a few tracks. Friday just gone they played at a Ladytron DJ night in Liverpool if anyone went, and Jason is bessie mates with Moving Units who also played, I'm not a huge fan of theirs but the track I stuck in song du jour recently was rocking! (it's called between us and them)

Anyhoo they are hoping to go on tour with Ladytron and possibly later Blonde Redhead (Jason's favourite band, he'll do for me :), which will just make me do a backflip for Jesus if I get to see them outside of London.

I mentioned them in a previous thread, here , but nevertheless here's a couple of tracks again. See if I can drum up any interest. Speaking of drummers, Gena the drummer and lead vocalist is fooking gorgeous in real life should you have the good fortune to gaze upon her lovely chops.

Persimmon tree

Blue babies

Strange design

Mirage

I hope at least one person seeks out their stuff.

NattyDread

I got that Midnight Movies album a few months back. I remember fairly enjoying it but never really picking it up again. I'll give it another blast, especially seeing as you typed all that.

splattermac

I've been a bit of a groupie recently and one encounter had me chatting with Amanda from the Dresden Dolls and I asked her if there were any bands she liked at the moment and she said DeVotchKa.

All sorts of groovy instruments, an accordion, tuba, violin, a toy piano perhaps (something tinkly anyway), one of the Greek ones - a Bouzouki maybe and a trumpet.

Have a listen as it's pretty interesting. Kind of gypsy Divine Comedy singing in the style of Bryan Ferry with Calexico on brass and guitar. In fact good luck placing the singers voice to within 20 feet of an artist for more than a song, Roy Orbison also springs to mind. Man that's all a load of bollocks, just have a listen and make up your own minds.

+ they will soon be doing a studio set for Morning Becomes Eclectic :)
http://www.kcrw.com/show/mb

DeVotchKa - You love me
DeVotchKa – The enemy guns*
DeVotchKa – This place is haunted
DeVotchKa – Lunnaya Pogonk
DeVotchKa – How it ends
DeVotchKa - Such a lovely thing

They have been releasing albums since 2000 so they are by no means new, but new to me. These tracks come from the 2004 LP How it ends

*I love a bit of whistling

Nearly Annually

Rubbish Monkey

splattermac

I missed the Go! Team recently when they played a poorly advertised gig in Manchester, bit pissed off about that but oh well, you're winsome you're lonesome, or however the saying goes.

- - - - -

If I could direct fans of instrumental(ish) guitar albums to Diefenbach, http://www.diefenbach.dk , again not a new band as they have been around for five years. I only found them because I like to check out the output from Wall of Sound records and one of their tracks was on a sampler called 'We love you', a provocative little cover

Group of normal looking chaps

They are a Danish five piece and one of my favourite albums of the latter part of the year. When they do sing a few words it's in English and some nice harmonies. To throw some comparisons I've read online: - Sonic Youth (minus the distortion), Godspeed (Diefenbach's stuff prior to this LP), Beta Band (? hmm), Cake, Kraftwerk (I think not), DJ Shadow (track four maybe). Touch of the old arse/elbow there but I suppose it's no different to my own witterings. To me they just sound like bunch of mates all sat down for a jam and as a result I gravitate to them when I'm finding my usual playlist too busy with lyrics and no continuity.

I've had a quick scoot around google (search Diefenbach run trip fall) and they are pretty well represented should you want to investigate them further, I didn't know for instance that their name comes from a character in the Coen brothers film 'Fargo'.

One reviewer said their album didn't really work as a whole but that's so often the case and I'd go along with that on this, it's a very near miss. The tracks I've posted are the ones I keep going back to but that doesn't make the other five absent tracks are crap, Snowstorm narrowly missed out on an upload, although Ibrahim does seem out of place in what is otherwise a pretty laidback album.

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/161099-01.htm (some samples for 56kers)

If you do want to grab one song I'd go for up for ping-pong

Diefenbach – Make your mind

Diefenbach – Underboys

Diefenbach - Do as you please

Diefenbach - up for ping-pong

Diefenbach - Camouflage

Ben Ordinary

Wow. I mean really WOW. Ive had some spirit crushing news early today and I downloaded the Diefenbach tracks on the names mentioned in reference to them and they have made me very happy indeed. Well...HappIER. If the rest of the album (which Im having an arse of a time finding online - not a hint by the way) is as good as this then its surely going to sneak in to be one of my albums of the year at the very last minute.

Thank you very very much.

chand

Ooh, I got the Diefenbach album a couple of weeks back, and very nice it is too.

imitationleather

Oh shoot, the downloads aren't working. Ah well, I'll do a search on the usual sources...

splattermac

I think my webhosting was down for repair last night so everything should be up and running now.

splattermac

Who is Kimya Dawson?

She's bloody fabulous is who she is and the above link* is a taster of her sound, intelligence and sense of fun. Ahh but then there's the melancholy you see, which sweetly rocks you to and fro like the arms of a friend trying to tell you all the clichés are true, time will heal, chin up, look on the bright side and everything might turn out alright. But she's kind of reckless too, advocating beer, acid, drinking your own pee and shotgun shenanigans.

I like to think of her as a giant heart shaped afro in battered sneakers shuffling along the sidewalk as the world mutates around her to the strumming of her guitar.

warning to muso ears: Don't expect mint studio recorded tracks, although the new LP Hidden Vagenda is by far the most professionally produced, the majority of her music sounds like it leads in with the hiss of record&play being depressed on the tapedeck and then off she goes, sat in her bedroom, single take.

A few words from her biography
QuoteSinger/songwriter Kimya Dawson is best known as part of the New York City anti-folk outfit the Moldy Peaches. In 2002, Dawson released her debut solo album, I'm Sorry That Sometimes I'm Mean, a collection of spare tunes sung to an acoustic guitar and Dawson's voice, which breaks with hurt over tales of abuse and longing.

The 30-year-old songwriter was born and raised in Bedford Hills, NY, where her parents run a day-care center from their home. Dawson and fellow Moldy Peach, Adam Green, met in 1995 at a record store in Mt. Kisco, NY, where she worked. For the next four years, Dawson moved back and forth between New York and Washington, but she and Green had become friends and began writing songs together. In 1999, Green followed Dawson to Washington where they formed the Moldy Peaches. After a year, Green returned to New York, with Dawson following later.

Eventually, the Moldy Peaches -- Dawson, Green, drummer Strictly Beats, bassist Steve Mertens, and guitarists Jack Dishel and Toby Goodshank -- began playing the anti-folk circuit. In 2001, they released their self-titled debut to critical acclaim. All the songs were co-written and sung by Dawson and Green. The band toured in the States as well as Europe. Dawson contributed backing vocals to Ben Kweller's 2002 debut solo album, Sha, Sha. Later that same year, the Moldy Peaches began a hiatus of indefinite length when both Dawson and Green's (Garfield) solo albums were released. I'm Sorry That Sometimes I'm Mean was well-received by critics and Dawson embarked on a tour of Europe and the United States.

In 2004, Dawson released two more albums of material culled from her bedroom sessions: Knock-Knock Who? and My Cute Fiend Sweet Princess. Later that year, Hidden Vagenda arrived on K Records.
So now you know as much about her as I do, except I'm stalking her musically and you might should she capture your imagination. She does very humable music, never underestimate the power of a hum. Just imagine if all the people of China went to the coast and hummed at once!

http://www.kimyadawson.com/

Seems a suitable place to mention Adam Green http://www.adamgreen.net/ is playing UK dates in Feb

*rightclicksaves from the letters if you hadn't already figured it out.

Some nice photies of her here [            ]

Rubella

Anyone here like Tom Vek?  I really like his stuff - very interesting mix of dance, techno, rock thingy.

Here is his site: www.tomvek.tv

Also, any Brighton Whores can see him on 21st January at the Concorde as part of an NME Club Night.  I'm going to go - I've wanted to see him live for ages.  Hopefully I'll be able to grab an interview too.  :-)

mwude

Quote from: "splattermac"I missed the Go! Team recently when they played a poorly advertised gig in Manchester, bit pissed off about that but oh well, you're winsome you're lonesome, or however the saying goes.

You win some, you lose some, Winston & Susan.  But you can catch them in Manc on the 11th feb at the Academy 3.  Or see them at the Barfly in Liverpool on the 4th like what I'm going to do.

Anyway:  Ilkae

Click to listen to mp3 clips, or to purchase one of the 777 cdrs they've got of Stained Glass Pinata which has been out for a few months and gets a glowing little review here.  Still unsigned apparently and only just out of their teens.  The duo of Krystian Lubiszewski and Aaron Munson released their first album "Pistachio Island" when aged just 16 & 19 and it sounds lightly mental.  44 tracks in 64 minutes described as a "mangled pairing of video games, hip hop and electronic fuckery".

I've only heard their 'Bring Extra Dragons' so far which is interesting, but nothing really special.  I am rather enamoured though with their bleepy computer game sounds which are delightful rather than irritating.  They're not just novelty bleeps though and I'm hoping they mature into a class act.

edit - and for some reason best known to themselves if you type 'Ilkae' into google image search you get a picture, apparently from their site, of a semi-clothed woman called Mari holding a beer bottle.  Odd.

splattermac

yay, two people posting stuff and I've checked out both of them so thanks.

Tom Vek reminds me of someone and I've not figured it out quite yet but I will. I don't know if it's the quality of the quicktime video on if you want but it sounds like he has a lisp, and then in the other track he is singing with a different voice again, much more manly and druggy :). I prefer If I had changed my mind although I liked the slack bass sounds of the first as it reminds me of skate/alt punk I used to listen to in the late 80s.

As for Ikea ;) I feel like an abnormally high waisted Simon Cowell when I say 'get a good education kids because you're not going to make it as musicians'. From your description I was expecting something along the lines of Bumblebeez but, and I grin when I say this, it reminded me of Bill Bailey pissing around on his synth, doing his cheesy faces and power stances saying 'look at me, I'm an electronic bedroom artist'. One of the tracks couldn't definitely be sold to Nintendo for Mario's next dream sequence but other than that the clips didn't sell them to me. Like you say though, perhaps they will evolve into a maturer sound, or more my cup of tea at least, perhaps a M83/B.O.C hybrid. I imagine there is still a market for their computer game music, probably Japan. What might have sold it better would have been a couple of flash videos, just something to distract the ears. Like this for instance :D mental

Which brings us back to the Go! Team (who RM dropped into the mix a couple of posts up), they should cash in on the Japanese market for sure. I didn't think much of the album after a couple of listens when it was on VPRO and I did the usual and cherry picked out a few tracks I rated :: Ladyflash :: The power is on :: Bottle Rocket :: Huddle Information :: but having gone back to it now I pretty much play the whole LP from start to finish and I think it's a wee gem. I've got my tickets to see them in Manchester even though I reckon it's just going to be a happy din, enthusiasm winning out over technical live skills, it just means drinking three more pints than normal.

Anymore for anymore, honestly I'm not going to be posting about every artist put in here, I might if there were more people joining in but other than that I already feel like a twat for sharing my opinion, written is so much more twattish than spoken don't you think?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "imitationleather"It's not because I'm some hardcore Pink Floyd fan and I think that the cover of Comfortably Numb is sacraliege, I don't like it because it sahnds baaad. I saw them on Top of the Pops and after a few minutes of staring at their self-aware wackiness and high-pitch vocals I found myself shouting, "No! Stop, stop!"
Exactly.  I quite liked it at first...until the vocals really kicked in and it started to sound like the fucking Bee-Gees - at that point I barfed.

splattermac

blimey you started at the beginning there Ambient. Of course you are referring to the Scissor Sisters.  

A cover is such a cheap way to get  publicity, I wonder how many bands success was launched off the back of a popular cover, did no harm for the Scissor Sisters.

Two things I got out of the SS, one being a top night out dancing in a really friendly crowd where SS put on a really good sleazy rock disco, and the other was finding out a scissor sister is gay slang for a lesbian. Make two 'v's with your fingers to make little legs and then join them at the crotch so they interlock, tadah!

=====
edit:

we are up to four pages in 11 months and the artists mentioned so far.

FEB 04
Scissor Sisters
Dresden Dolls
Easy Star All Stars - Dubside of the Moon project
Fuck
Goldie Lookin' Chain
Selfish Cunt
Chromeo
Chikinki
David Devant And His Spirit Wife
The Delays
Plej
Secret Machines

MAR 04
Tilly and the Wall
the Chap

APR 04
Maher Shalal Hash Baz
The Orchestra Of The Desert
Tortoise
Mars Volta

MAY 04
Eagles of Death Metal
The Owls
Regina Specktor
Captain Beefheart
OOIOO
the Boredoms

NOV 04
The Organ
Midnight Movies

DEC 04
DeVotchKa
the Go! Team
Diefenbach

JAN 05
Kimya Dawson
Tom Vek
Ilkae

BetaKarraTene

I've metioned a few new artistes  here, the pick of the bunch being Kaiser Chiefs, The Bravery, Nine Black Alps, Johnny Boy (although there's no way their album could possibly live up to the single), Maximo Park, Misty's Big Adventure, The Radio Dept and The Longcut.

I got the luxembourg CD (you're not allowed to call it an album) the other day and it's rather fabby. A bit like Madness singing over Pet Shop Boys and very good with it too. They've got some mp3s over at their website and their single What The Housewives Don't Tell You would have been the perfect theme tune to a certain TV programme...

The Arcade Fire

This lot  won pretty much every single US-based website and magazine poll for album of 2004 for Funeral. The album was recorded following 3 bereavments suffered by the four band members. Despite that, there's only one downcast song out of the 10 on the record. The rest feels like a celebration of sorts. They've been dubbed as fitting into the 'emo' genre, but since I don't know what that means, I'll say they remind me in places of Modest Mouse, Ed Harcourt and New Order. I've listened to the album a couple of times, and (whilst it's definitely 10 minutes too long) it feels like a grower in the same way Modest Mouse's album was, so hopefully I'll come to love this as much.

Some tracks (thanks to the host of the website)

The Arcade Fire - Wake Up
The Aracde Fire - Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
The Aracde Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)