Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:02:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What music has shaped this decade for you?

Started by Vitalstatistix, September 29, 2009, 12:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pie Pie Eater

Yup, awesome band. Only managed to see them once, and it was post-Secret Bark Language, so they were practically a different band. Still totally awesome though.

Borboski

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on November 12, 2009, 11:45:38 AM
Pssssh, getouttahere!

The National are a wonderful band, and nothing like as bland, unoriginal, commercial and derivative as that shite-fest Coldplay.

Alligator and Boxer are definitely two of my favourite albums from this decade, too. They're full of invention and wit, and a subtlety and warmth which requires repeated listens to fall in love with.

Johnny - surprised you like Alligator so much but don't rate Boxer. I don't find any drop in quality there at all.

I've described as a bit like Tindersticks, but american, and a bit more poppy.  Don't agree with Coldplay comparisons.

Danger Man

I've only skimmed the thread...but...no Fischerspooner? No Detroit Grand Pubahs?

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Danger Man on November 17, 2009, 09:42:25 PM
I've only skimmed the thread...but...no Fischerspooner? No Detroit Grand Pubahs?

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Thoroughly - Obviously
XTV - Making Flans for Nigella
Norbert Seriously - Who are these people?
Iva Never - Heard of any of them
Biggytitbo vs The Whingers of Mars - This Whoniverse ain't big enough for the both of us
SPC Bike Couriers - My aquaintance, Your Mother
Fred Disappointed - Leaves
The Vacillating Shillyshallyers - Edit

Almost posted this in the NME Top 10 thread thinking we didn't have a thread on this of our own. Good thing I took another look.

This was actually quite interesting for me, as the years started out with many albums I could consider "best of the decade" and, gradually, the amount dropped off until this year I'm left in 2009 exclusively with albums by people I know or that I actually released myself. I started at 1999 because technically that's a decade ago, not 2000. This is not so much a Top 10 or Top 100 as much as it is just all the albums from specific years that I can consider absolute classics - albums that you could always put on anytime and I wouldn't be itching to move onto something else until it ended. Lots of albums could have made the list, and it pained me to remove them, but in the sake of this post actually being readable I thought it best. I should note that I pay absolutely no attention to popular music, so when someone popular is on there it's a bit of an anomaly. So, lets begin.

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
David Sylvian - Dead Bees On A Cake
King Crimson as ProjeKct 3 - Masque
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
NOFX - The Decline

Radiohead - Kid A
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Splattercell - OAH
Queens Of The Stone Age - Rated R
Wu-Tang Clan - The W
D'Angelo - Voodoo

Anja Garbarek - Smiling & Waving
Bill Bruford's Earthworks - The Sound Of Surprise
Yes - Magnification

Audioslave - Audioslave
Q-Tip - Kamaal The Abstract (not officially released until 2009)
Tim Berne - The Sevens

Procol Harum - The Well's On Fire

NOTHING

Nine Horses (David Sylvian) - Snow Borne Sorrow

Bill Bruford & Tim Garland - Earthworks Underground Orchestra
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
The Roots - Game Theory
Beck - The Information

TNVVNüM - Säde

NOTHING

TNVVNüM - Ouroboros
Kutiman - ThruYOU
Los - Whale EP

Backstage With Slowdive

I suppose this is the best thread for this...

I was just watching one of the freeview music channels, they were showing their "best christmas singles" thing yet again, and this time I saw The Darkness and their single. Which reminded me what a great comedy act they were during their 15 minutes, and what a shame it was they fell apart. They could have been truly great, straddling the line comedy band / proper band with real songs.

The early Art Brut stuff managed the same effect but playing for the indie/alterantive market instead of soft rock, and their gigs were hugely enjoyable in 2004-5. But they seemed to have become Just Another Band by this year's album. Still Formed A Band, These Animal Menswear and Bang Bang Rock'N'Roll will remain moments of genius.