Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy...

Started by The Widow of Brid, October 03, 2009, 12:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Does Big qualify? That was a bank holiday staple for I don't know how long.

Oh, and The Goonies definitely.

ThickAndCreamy

Shawshank Redemption is a very good film, I can completely understand why people may hate it but it works for me. Just see it as a fairy tale like story and it really is exceedingly entertaining.

I heard "You've got a friend in me" by Randy Newman today and it reminded me how great Toy Story is. The sequel's good too.

Quote from: Serge on October 03, 2009, 07:48:11 PM
Funnily enough, I saw 'Ghostbusters' again this year and hated it. Even Bill Murray. Sorry about that.

I really think you might be the opposite of me...yet, I like you.

Jurassic Car Park - as it's known for no good reason in my family - is also aces.

Ant, care to develop your 'Blues Brothers beats the shit out of Ghostbusters' blindly inaccurate assessment?

Serge

I suspect with 'Ghostbusters', it's because I was watching it for the first time in twenty years, rather than having regularly watched it again and again, as with my first choice, 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind'. 'CE3K' (as I insist on calling it to save me typing the title again) probably has just as many flaws as 'Ghostbusters', but I have a sentimental attachment to it that blinds me to them, which I don't have to 'Ghostbusters', so I sit there saying, 'Pshaww! What?' all the time.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 04, 2009, 12:02:36 AM
I heard "You've got a friend in me" by Randy Newman today and it reminded me how great Toy Story is. The sequel's good too.
Every Pixar film is fantastic, and they are getting better with time. Wall-E is especially magnificent and raises the standard for childrens films everywhere. I could discuss in detail about how every single film deserves very high regard as they manage to not only be original and appeal to every age range but they are also highly entertaining.

I really cannot wait to see Up.

glitch

Probably going to get slated for this, but can I suggest Mean Girls? Watched it with an old housemate and as much as I wanted to hate it, I really enjoyed it. For a teen comedy it's pretty funny, plays with stereotypes and can even be said to be based on sociological theory.

Oh and Heathers.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 04, 2009, 03:38:15 AM

Jurassic Car Park - as it's known for no good reason in my family - is also aces.

Yeah, same here. It was on the other night at about 0.30, which felt odd because ITV usually put it on early Saturday evenings. It was very satisfying to have it on late.

vx

the shamefully bad movies I have really enjoyed are far too many to list. years of boycotting tv lead me to embrace everything from troma to brett ratner (although I still cant figure out which were worse).

Im surprised when talking about pixar, no one mentioned The Incredibles which seems to be their most formulaic, but is still my favorite to date (havent gotten Up out here yet)

and in the vein of Mean Girls I would definitely have to add Clueless and Bring It On. classic.

Marty McFly

I always cry at The Green Mile.

And sometimes at Forrest Gump.

I grew up on all the classics of cinema.. Back To The Future (obviously), Ghostbusters and the sequel (Ghostbusters 2 was the first film I ever saw at the cinema), Gremlins and that sequel too, Little Shop Of Horrors, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the Star Wars and Indy trilogies, Masters Of The Universe. There are others. My god, the 80s and 90s were a fantastic time to be a child.

lipsink

What exactly were the big kids films in the 1970s before Star Wars? Were kids running around the playground pretending to be Johnny Boy from 'Mean Streets'?

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: Marty McFly on October 04, 2009, 03:16:40 PM
My god, the 80s and 90s were a fantastic time to be a child.
I must agree. Not only did they have the original, and still the best, Land Before Time but they also had the 6 sequels including the sublime The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island. It's often forgotten just how glorious each one of the 13 Land Before Time films where not a single minute of the over 25 hours of total running time is wasted.

Each film is simply an hour and a half or pure dinosaur related mishaps, hilarity and heartbreak. Ironically The Land Before Time was actually beyond it's time in vision and creativity and it was not in fact before time but was after it. Never before had a cartoon film series been made about 4 orphan dinosaurs who were in a land where time had yet to exist. I personally can't believe it took over 70 years of film history before this was made, it's a travesty.

mothman

Serge

I guess 'The Sixth Sense' counts as mainstream? I always 'have something in my eye' at the end of that. Even though the first time I saw it, I'd already guessed the twist thanks to a big clue-dropping review by that cunt Alexander Walker in the Evening Standard the day before. And about ten seconds before the actual reveal, a man sitting behind me in the cinema shouted "'E's dead!"

ersatz99

Quote from: lipsink on October 04, 2009, 03:41:11 PM
What exactly were the big kids films in the 1970s before Star Wars? Were kids running around the playground pretending to be Johnny Boy from 'Mean Streets'?

Bruce Lee out of Enter the Dragon. Everybody was Kung Fu fighting as I recall.

The Widow of Brid

I'm watching Ghostbusters II now. If the craftmanship in that children's party scene at the beginning doesn't give you the warms, you may be dead inside.

*BAM* The ghostbusters have fallen on hard times! *BAM* Here's the plot of the first film *BAM* Here's an amusing dissection of the entire nature of merchandise driven blockbusters *BAM* and here's the whole rest of the film, because this has taken three fucking minutes.

edit

Yeah, alright though. The montage is a big pile of shit.

edit again

DVD manufacturers, please start offering an option to watch late eighties films without the obligatory piss poor rap that makes the listener want to die. Thank you. 

papalaz4444244

Quote from: lipsink on October 04, 2009, 03:41:11 PM
Not really any different. Escape To Witch Mountain, The Land That Time Forgot, Freaky Friday......

So just aliens, dinosaurs and body-swap comedies like today.

Oh. Sinbad movies, they were cool.

VegaLA

Romancing the stone? that brings back some happy memories. Sitting in the Cannon ABC at the top of Sutton High St watching Eddy grant blab about how he's going to climb some mountain while his theme song plays in the background and I try hopelessly to get my tongue down Lilian Li's throat.

Hm, maybe not so happy actually.

SavageHedgehog

I have a theory that 1984 was the best year ever for modern-ish blockbuster/popcorn/"mainstream" films. In addition to Romancing the Stone, Temple of Doom and Ghostbusters which have all been mentioned, there was also Gremlins, The Karate Kid, Police Academy, Footloose, Star Trek III, Splash, Purple Rain, Greystoke, Revenge of the Nerds, 2010, Bachelor Party, Breakin', Red Dawn, The Terminator, Starman, The Last Starfighter, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Sixteen Candles and if it counts, and I think it does, Amadeus. Now I don't like all of those films personally, I couldn't stand Revenge of the Nerds for example, but I would argue all of them are pretty well established in popular culture. Of the lot my favourite would definitely be Gremlins.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I like mainstream films, quite a lot of my favourite films are very mainstream. It's difficult to reply for that reason.

Jah Wobbler

Chevy Chase's National Lampoon Vacation films. Never fail to hit the funny button. European Vacation also excels itself with completely accurate criticism of the United Kingdom, a Hollywood first. Though generally I have no problem with the old school view that the mainstream is evil and pernicious and governed by sell outs. It's really depressing how anyone who wants to stand outside it nowadays is seen as a poser and a fake. What happened to the world?

VegaLA

Quote from: Jah Wobbler on October 09, 2009, 03:08:19 PM
Chevy Chase's National Lampoon Vacation films. Never fail to hit the funny button.

Good call. Chevy may not be popular on this 'ere board but I woe him for all the laughs he provided me during those difficult 'teen' times during the 80s.
I'm not a TV guy but I saw a trailer for what looked like a new sitcom with Chevy so i'll be looking out for that. I'd really like to see him involved in something with Dennis Miller and Norm Macdonald, the three of them are ripe for their own show.

non capisco

Quote from: VegaLA on October 13, 2009, 12:37:44 AM

I'm not a TV guy but I saw a trailer for what looked like a new sitcom with Chevy so i'll be looking out for that.

Community. 'S alright, been running for four weeks. Thus far Chase is the best thing in it.

JPA

Quote from: Lt Plonker on October 04, 2009, 02:18:59 PM
Yeah, same here. It was on the other night at about 0.30, which felt odd because ITV usually put it on early Saturday evenings. It was very satisfying to have it on late.

I watched it on ITV the other day - was surprised they didn't cut the 'That's one big pile of shit' line considering the film started at about 3.15 in the afternoon.

Catalogue Trousers

AH-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Seriously. Anyone who can't like this one has no joy in their heart.

alan nagsworth

More love for 'Back To The Future' here. Absolute gold. The kind of film you know will end happily but you are on the edge of your seat with excitement nonetheless. Never fails to astound me on every level.

I think that's a fairly accurate reading of 'popcorn-popular' flicks in my books, actually. Also, having jokes that kids and adults alike will enjoy.

And on that note, I'd like to add one of my all-time favourite films: Monsters, Inc.

Quote from: glitch on October 04, 2009, 09:44:13 AM
Probably going to get slated for this, but can I suggest Mean Girls? Watched it with an old housemate and as much as I wanted to hate it, I really enjoyed seeing Lindsay Lohan dance about in a skimpy Santa outfit.

Me too, dude!

kidsick5000

Another vote for Mean Girls here.
I also enjoyed Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. Simply because it was a stupid film and it knew it. Everyone's having a blast. Fun, if you like that sort of thing.

I should check out Romancing The Stone again. It's ingrained on my memory because it's one of those films taped off the telly and watched till the tape gave out.