Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wu-Tang Clan

Started by Uzi Lover, February 06, 2004, 12:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uzi Lover

Is anyone here a fan of the Wu-Tang Clan? I only discovered them a few months ago but they're now one of my favourite bands.

Rubbish Monkey

GZA - Liquid Swords. Remains the best of their solo efforts I thinks.

I am weasel

Hmmm. A band that started out really well with the album ENTER THE WU-TANG, and then started going downhill from there!

The Method Man's solo stuff is rather good in parts (Prodigy mixes etc) and the RZA is the production genius behind the Clan, so his film scores (GHOST DOG) are top!

Ar, ye bongo

I remember taking a day off sixth form to buy 36 chambers (nearest record shop was a good 10 miles away)... I'd disagree with weasel, although the Wu-Tang Forever album is pretty dire, there are some good tracks on The W album (Chamber Music and Hollow Bones spring to mind), even if some of the rapping is below par. I'd be very interested in an instrumental version of The W, does anyone know of such a thing existing?

TOCMFIC

I've never been able to decide if I liked them or not. I know the did one REALLY awesome video I liked. It involved killer bees. Great video. Have no fucking clue what the song was though (which sucks as I've been trying to find it.)

Benny J. Fish

It wasn't Killa Bees was it?

I love the Wu, it's the really nice gritty sounds, and the fact some of it just sounds like it's being improvised. And the fact Dirt McGirt/Ol' Dirty Bastard/Big Baby Jesus/Osiris (Delete as applicable) always makes me giggle.

ODB's stuff with the alkoholiks is pretty cool too, with the charming and touching line of I'm the cunt breath asshole eater.... Mmmm

smoker

"check out my graaavel pit"

mint video for that one as well. did anyone see the one odb and kelis cut for got yo money? just sticking him in all these old seventies blaxploitation film clips, genius.

36 chambers is a decent album, shame on da n**ger being the standout. i was dancing to the song that it samples last night

Uzi Lover

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"I've never been able to decide if I liked them or not. I know the did one REALLY awesome video I liked. It involved killer bees. Great video. Have no fucking clue what the song was though (which sucks as I've been trying to find it.)
You're probably thinking of 'Triumph'. That is a very cool video and, I think, the only one to feature all the members.

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"GZA - Liquid Swords. Remains the best of their solo efforts I thinks.
Definitely, I prefer it to 36 Chambers even.

Gamma Ray

I got talking to my brother about the Wu Tang one time, and he told me that his friends reckoned that they were the hip-hop Spice Girls. Maybe so, but whilst the Spice Girls were dreamt up by some faceless marketing motherfucker, the Wu Tang dreamt themselves up. For all their kerrrazy theories and cash-in rekords, I love them for that. Only people like Kool Keith and Mike Ladd can outdo them for sheer insanity of imagination ...
Musically I think that the first Gravediggaz album was the best ... Ok it only featured RZA from the Wu Tang, but apparently they performed 'Bang Your Head' on 'The Word'. It makes perfect sense to me. Or maybe you should just get a hold of it and make up your own mind ...

Gamma Ray

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"Gravediggaz

They also had Prince Paul (De La Soul Producer) and one of their members died of colon cancer. As far as I know they are still going.  FACTASTIC!

Method Man's Tical Album was quite good too.
And touching breifly on Kool Keith (oh err) I'm enjoying Doctor Dooom at the moment.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Uzi Lover"
Quote from: "TOCMFIC"I've never been able to decide if I liked them or not. I know the did one REALLY awesome video I liked. It involved killer bees. Great video. Have no fucking clue what the song was though (which sucks as I've been trying to find it.)
You're probably thinking of 'Triumph'. That is a very cool video and, I think, the only one to feature all the members.

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"GZA - Liquid Swords. Remains the best of their solo efforts I thinks.
Definitely, I prefer it to 36 Chambers even.

AHH! Yeah, that sounds like it might be right. And I do recall it seemed like all 312 members of the Wu Tang were in it.

I think a trip to Emule is required. My rap collection currently consists of the Beasties and Eminem:)

mangoliver

Agree with I am Weasel. Enter the Wu-Tang remains their best work by a significant distance.

"Wu-Tang Aint Nothin' Ta Fuck Wit'" they never bettered that song IMHO.

Although nothing with Method Man on could ever be bad. One of the best half dozen MC's of all time in my book. 'Tical' and 'Liquid Swords' easily the best Wu solo projects.

36 Chambers is awesome, but I've killed it now I think.

You should check ODB's debut solo album Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version, some belters there. Also Raekwon The Cheft - Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx is boss.

Liquid Swords truly amazing, no doubt. The best must be the Gravediggaz album though mentioned above. I'd forgotten how good it was but my mate had it on the other day when I called round and I was like 'YES! THIS IS THE SHIT!' because it is.

mrpants

Anybody like Cannibal Ox?  They're quite similar with their rapping style, but the music is a bit more synthy.  Iron Galaxy being a particulary great song.

Uzi Lover

Yeah I love Cannibal Ox. The Cold Vein would rank in my Top Ten hip-hop albums. A good, and extremely catchy, rap I discovered on Saturday is 'The Choice Is Yours' by Black Sheep. Download it if you can.

smoker

Quote from: "mangoliver"Although nothing with Method Man on could ever be bad. One of the best half dozen MC's of all time in my book. 'Tical' and 'Liquid Swords' easily the best Wu solo projects.

agreed. he helped limp bizkit make their only ever decent track, n'together now, and ghetto superstar with reprazent is mint

bill hicks

The W is a criminally underrated record. Any record that starts out with Chamber Music and then Careful (Click, Click) is immune from criticism imo.

And even though ODB is only on one track (and sounds like he used one of his jailhouse phonecalls to cut the rhyme) it's probably one of his best tracks as well.

And it's got Snoop!

Must listen to it again actually.

Matthias

Does anyone know if any of the members actually study Kung Fu?

I practice Wutan Kung Fu, which is a mix of Shaolin styles all rolled into one. As far as I'm aware, there is no system known as Wutang.

Maybe they should have called themselves the Wutan Clan for authenticity.

smoker

definitely either the rza or the gza was once. i read an article about this monk who'd started a temple in new york and several of the clan were his students, one was deefinitely riz or jiz