Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:54:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "New" Doctor Who Thread

Started by boxofslice, October 21, 2009, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxofslice

New thread started as old new one locked.

So, no date yet for Waters of Mars. I guess the chance of a Halloween special is off then.

Talulah, really!

Oh, Hello

This is the old New Doctor Who Thread which is now locked after 256 pages. Started 2007. There is another older thread but that only appears, like the Flying Dutchman, at certain times of the year (Wimblemong). And This is the thread for classic era Doctor Who.

Anyway David Tennant turns up in the Sarah Jane Adventures next Thursday and Friday when Sarah Jane is getting married to Nigel Havers. BBC1 4.35pm.

Which might be enough to keep us going to "The Waters of Mars".

lipsink

Wow, that's going to be bizarre seeing the Doc in a spin-off. I wonder will there be a different dynamic as he's not in his own show - so he's an assistant, sort of.

If he was in Torchwood would he say 'fuck' or 'cum'? Or rape someone?

Anyway, welcome everyone to the New Thread!

I've been trying to get a suit for job interviews and an upcoming work party but why do none of the shops have 4 button suits like Doc 10?

biggytitbo

Quote from: boxofslice on October 21, 2009, 09:44:24 PM
New thread started as old new one locked.

So, no date yet for Waters of Mars. I guess the chance of a Halloween special is off then.

It'd be ideal for Halloween wouldn't it? But I guess the rationale is most of the kiddywinks will be out that night, wearing silver shamrock masks and raping old women or whatever they do.

Prob be the Saturday after.

Serge

Is there a thread covering the Eccleston series? I'm curious to know what people were writing as it went out, but I can't seem to track it down.

papalaz4444244

biggytitbo

Not very different is it? Apart from the nipples on the walls.

eluc55

Way too similar. Maybe it'll look more different when seen properly, but on first appreanaces, thats pretty dissapointing. Especially as the current one was always fairly grim.

lipsink

I thought it was maybe going to be white to fit in with the early 60s look a lot of the other new stuff we've seen seems to have. Making it look all wooden would be good. Yes, halt production! Do wood!

gatchamandave

Quote from: Serge on October 21, 2009, 11:55:44 PM
Is there a thread covering the Eccleston series? I'm curious to know what people were writing as it went out, but I can't seem to track it down.

The first 90 pages of the old thread should give you that, Serge. Pretty much entirely positive IIRC, with a few reservations about farting aliens.

morgs

Meanwhile, at Gallifrey Base, sparacus is off on one again.  Should the new series be filmes in German as well as English?

QuoteWhen I was in Germany, it struck me that the language barrier would be a real problem. Not all Germans speak any English and therefore this restricts how many would watch Doctor Who. Obviously the show could be shown dubbed in English or with subtitles but neither really convince. A better solution would be to film each scene several times, once in English, once in German & maybe once in French also. This would widen to appeal of the programme.

Good old sparacus...  After 6 or so pages of being mocked, he adds

QuoteThis thread is moving away from the key issue and becoming rather silly.

biggytitbo

Quote from: morgs on October 22, 2009, 10:38:38 AM
Meanwhile, at Gallifrey Base, sparacus is off on one again.  Should the new series be filmes in German as well as English?

Thats what Laurel and Hardy used to do so maybe he has a point.

HappyTree

I want my sci-fi to have cool gadgets and flashing lights. I didn't like Tennant's Tardis interior, I much preferred it when the control room was white and geeky. This new look looks exactly the same as the old one so far. I hope it turns out interesting with perhaps some other rooms. They really have a lot of scope for creativity with Tardis rooms, I wonder why they don't really go there.

lipsink

I think it's a bit silly when they show the companion's rooms in Davison's stories. It seemed a bit like school camp or something. It;s sometimes better not to address these things in the same way they didn't address why certain Doctors always wore the same clothes.

It could be good to have an episode just set in the Tardis in New Who.

Serge

Quote from: gatchamandave on October 22, 2009, 10:28:44 AM
The first 90 pages of the old thread should give you that, Serge. Pretty much entirely positive IIRC, with a few reservations about farting aliens.

The old New Doctor Who thread starts in 2007. I've tried searching, and even managed to find a thread from when it was announced that Eccleston had been cast, which predates any possible New Who thread, but I can't find a thread with  discussion about Eccleston in!

Backstage With Slowdive

I thought the point of the Eccleston TARDIS was as a bridge between the classic design and the one in the TVM. Though it changed quite a bit from the Hartnell to Baker years.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Serge on October 22, 2009, 05:34:35 PM
, but I can't find a thread with  discussion about Eccleston in!

....because
Quote from: Talulah, really! on October 21, 2009, 09:56:13 PM

There is another older thread but that only appears, like the Flying Dutchman, at certain times of the year (Wimblemong). 

It is inside the Wimblemong subforum which is hidden, perhaps if you PM Neil he might be able to move the thread back into picture box proper.

Barry Admin

Done it - you can now find New Doctor Who here, thanks Talulah, thank you for also linking back to the old one up there.  If people like, I could split the previous Dr Who threads at regeneration points, to make them a bit more manageable for newcomers like Serge?  If anyone objects, let us know - if not, then one of you is going to have to give me the links to the posts where they should be split, and I'll get on it.  Then we can perhaps edit the second post up there to make Talulah's index more complete. 

Serge

Fantastic! Thanks very much Neil (or Barry, whichever you prefer!)....looking forward to reading that.

weekender

Personally I'd find it more interesting to have Who threads split by season - i.e. one for Eccleston, one for each series of Tennant, one for the specials, one for Matt Smith Series 1 etc.  Presumably this would have less overall impact on server issues as well?

I'm not sure there's a need to split the old threads up other than to satisfy the curiosity of people like Serge - Serge, not having a go at you for this, but there has been so much overlap in the past that it would be an administrative nightmare to allocate all the posts into 'Series', or even by regeneration.  Sadly for organising, the discussion doesn't start and end at each regeneration!

It's also interesting to reflect back on things when we've watched them on DVD, which is where the 'Series' idea would help.  Perhaps shall we start afresh like this?

It's just an idea, let me know what you think.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 22, 2009, 12:06:50 AM
New TARDIS interior (glimpse)......  SPOILER

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2009/10/new-tardis-interior.html
I have to confess to being quite disappointed.......

Moffat's reboot has given me a slight reboot in the balls here.....  ach well.

boxofslice

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 22, 2009, 08:28:34 PM
I have to confess to being quite disappointed.......

Moffat's reboot has given me a slight reboot in the balls here.....  ach well.

Be fair, so far it is only a grainy glimpse through the TARDIS doors. I'll hold judgement til we get a full shot.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: weekender on October 22, 2009, 07:47:09 PM
It's also interesting to reflect back on things when we've watched them on DVD, which is where the 'Series' idea would help.  Perhaps shall we start afresh like this?

I think it would just need some links to certain navigation points, say the first and last episodes of each season at broadcast date or maybe "Rose" then "The Christmas Invasion", etc, and then you go forward or back as you like. That would be quite quick to find out since you can easily find out the broadcast dates then PM Neil with the links and he could edit them into the post up there at the start of the thread. Or somebody, not me, could link to each episode if they want to and have them pasted in.

And thank you very much for opening up that thread again, Neil.

The Widow of Brid

Quote from: morgs on October 22, 2009, 10:38:38 AM

Aah. Mouse has traumtic memories of being nade to drw and explain a dalek to excited german sf fans in the eighties. Then defend Dr who when one of the fist series aired there was Paradise Towers...

Serge

Quote from: weekender on October 22, 2009, 07:47:09 PM
Personally I'd find it more interesting to have Who threads split by season - i.e. one for Eccleston, one for each series of Tennant, one for the specials, one for Matt Smith Series 1 etc.  Presumably this would have less overall impact on server issues as well?

I'm not sure there's a need to split the old threads up other than to satisfy the curiosity of people like Serge - Serge, not having a go at you for this, but there has been so much overlap in the past that it would be an administrative nightmare to allocate all the posts into 'Series', or even by regeneration.  Sadly for organising, the discussion doesn't start and end at each regeneration!

I wasn't asking for the threads to be seperated into series, just to be pointed in the direction of where the contemporary posts about the Eccleston series were, as I was having trouble finding them. I'm quite happy to go through a long thread, in fact, I'm anticipating reading the aforementioned posts with a touch of glee.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Talulah, really! on October 21, 2009, 09:56:13 PM
This is the old New Doctor Who Thread[/url] which is now locked after 256 pages.

Brings a tear to the eye. Goodbye old friend

Phil_A

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 23, 2009, 11:22:50 AM
Brings a tear to the eye. Goodbye old friend

It's the end...but the moment has been prepared for!

gloria

RTD has said that Doc 10's final words will end with 'n'.  Predictions?

Poignant: "It's been so much fun..."

Cockney: "Cheerio old son!"

Curtailed French catchphrase: "Allon..."

On the nose: "Time for my regeneration."

Companion envy: "Now I'll never get to see Karen Gillan dressed a policewoman."

Nightmare: "Eye going wonky...face inflating...I'm regenerating into Nick Griffin!"

The returning monster: "Killed by a Wirrn."

Prosaic: "I could do with a bun."

lipsink

"Fuck you Barrowman!"

"I'm off to shag Gemma Arterton."

gatchamandave

"ALLON-NNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnn....."