Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:42:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "New" Doctor Who Thread

Started by boxofslice, October 21, 2009, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papalaz4444244

"I will always love you, Rose, until the en........"

<loud shitty romantic music>

Zoom in on Rose blubbing

non capisco

"Who would have thought it turned out to be.....THE NIMON!"

Catalogue Trousers

"Nothing's forgotten, Rose...nothing's ever forgotten..."

"SHIT! Wrong series! You can edit that out, can't you, Russell?"

biggytitbo

Serge

Quote from: non capisco on October 23, 2009, 07:18:55 PM
"Who would have thought it turned out to be.....THE NIMON!"

This made me laugh far more than it possibly ought to have.

papalaz4444244

purlieu

That looks pretty nice.

Back on the subject of old new Who, I watched The Girl In The Fireplace again last night, and was actually in tears at the end, which is something that never really happens to me.  I can't get over how good that episode is.  Great idea, scary monsters, good story, lovely design, emotional ending not done in the cloying RTD way and a brilliant reveal.  Lovely stuff.

Jack Shaftoe

Yeah, you wouldn't expect someone as structurally tricksy as Moffat to be able to deliver those emotional punches as well, but he manages it somehow. Usually anyway - the more I think about that Library one, the less I like it.

I watched the last ten minutes of Family of Blood the other day, and felt the old wobbly bottom lip going. For all that I didn't like RTD in Who, he at least got some decent other writers in, and let them do their stuff.

biggytitbo

Girl in the fireplace is *near* perfect genre TV. Human Nature/Family of Blood is perfect (including alleged massive rewrites by RTD himself), Blink is perfect, Empty Child is perfect.  For all the criticism he gets, RTD sure seems to have had good taste in terms of 3rd party scripts.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 24, 2009, 08:33:09 PM
Girl in the fireplace is *near* perfect genre TV. Human Nature/Family of Blood is perfect (including alleged massive rewrites by RTD himself), Blink is perfect, Empty Child is perfect.  For all the criticism he gets, RTD sure seems to have had good taste in terms of 3rd party scripts.
42, The Lazarus Experiment, The Idiot's Lantern, Fear Her.............

biggytitbo

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 24, 2009, 08:41:14 PM
42, The Lazarus Experiment, The Idiot's Lantern, Fear Her.............

42 is acceptable, Lazarus Experiment is actually great, (but it only has 25 minutes worth of story) Idiots Lantern is definitely shite, but who would have thought Gatiss would fuck up a reasonably good idea so badly? As for Fear Her, the reason that's the worse episode ever made is because of the truly chronically dire production of it. The basic script is fine.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 24, 2009, 08:52:01 PM
42 is acceptable, Lazarus Experiment is actually great, (but it only has 25 minutes worth of story) Idiots Lantern is definitely shite, but who would have thought Gatiss would fuck up a reasonably good idea so badly? As for Fear Her, the reason that's the worse episode ever made is because of the truly chronically dire production of it. The basic script is fine.

And the Doctor running with the Olympic torch with that fucking awful Huw Edwards commentary.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on October 24, 2009, 09:10:33 PM
And the Doctor running with the Olympic torch with that fucking awful Huw Edwards commentary.

Go its awful, but i still maintain theres a decent story in there somewhere, and the production of it is so hideously bad that that is the reason for its notoriety.

papalaz4444244

My point wasn't really about any particular script but I was trying to point out that your assertion that
QuoteRTD sure seems to have had good taste in terms of 3rd party scripts
could probably be argued against.

But, I also have to disagree about Fear Her. It truly dreadful. Which elements of production are you suggesting ruined a cracking script, in particular?

biggytitbo

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 24, 2009, 09:25:44 PM
My point wasn't really about any particular script but I was trying to point out that your assertion that  could probably be argued against.

But, I also have to disagree about Fear Her. It truly dreadful. Which elements of production are you suggesting ruined a cracking script, in particular?

The fact that the entire production appears to have been made on a budget of 50p?

I don't think Ive ever seen a episode of Who, old or new, so shabbily produced as this.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 24, 2009, 09:29:17 PM
The fact that the entire production appears to have been made on a budget of 50p?

I don't think Ive ever seen a episode of Who, old or new, so shabbily produced as this.
I'm trying to see your point here, but I can't think of anything that looks so different from any other episode.

(I will never forget seeing the Next Time trailer for this and being genuinely excited about the prospect of living people trapped in a two-dimensional otherworld. I thought "At last, they are pushing the boundaries of the show..." Fuck me, was I crushed the following week.......)

Talulah, really!

Why has The Idiot's Lantern come to have such a bad reputation? I remember liking it and though I haven't watched it recently nothing springs to mind as being particularly awful. Just had a look at the reactions at the time, here which seem a bit split before everyone goes back to worrying about how gay it all is.

Incidentally I think there must be another thread somewhere as that one goes from series one to series two and the outbreak of series one of Torchwood. Whilst the one that was just closed starts halfway through series 3. There is also one that Backstage with Slowdive alluded to, people choosing their favourite stories, though I think that was quite short and again, probably stuck inside the wimblemong subforum.

biggytitbo

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 24, 2009, 09:36:10 PM
I'm trying to see your point here, but I can't think of anything that looks so different from any other episode.

(I will never forget seeing the Next Time trailer for this and being genuinely excited about the prospect of living people trapped in a two-dimensional otherworld. I thought "At last, they are pushing the boundaries of the show..." Fuck me, was I crushed the following week.......)

Wasn't Fear Her the 2nd to last filmed? They'd basically spent their entire budget by this point, and the next 2 episodes consumed around half of the entire budget of series 2 which was the incredibly brilliant Impossible planet and Satan pit. If you cant see a decent episode in the script of Fear Her, you're not a doctor who fan. Ye it ended up as a turd of a programme, but that wasn't the fault of the initial script I don't think.

boxofslice

Love and Monsters must of course get a mention as being on the poor side especially as it ends with a paving stone giving blow jobs.

Oh and it's got Peter Kay in it.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 24, 2009, 09:43:11 PM
Wasn't Fear Her the 2nd to last filmed? They'd basically spent their entire budget by this point, and the next 2 episodes consumed around half of the entire budget of series 2 which was the incredibly brilliant Impossible planet and Satan pit. If you cant see a decent episode in the script of Fear Her, you're not a doctor who fan. Ye it ended up as a turd of a programme, but that wasn't the fault of the initial script I don't think.
Well, now I'm not letting you get away with it. What SPECIFICALLY looks cheap about this episode and what SPECIFICALLY could have had more money spent on it to so radically bring out the best in this script?

We seem to both agree that it was a "turd of a programme" but I blame a bad script and bad acting and can't envisage that a million pounds spent on it would have made it any better.

Presumably because I'm not a Doctor Who fan.............

biggytitbo

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 24, 2009, 10:00:43 PM
Well, now I'm not letting you get away with it. What SPECIFICALLY looks cheap about this episode and what SPECIFICALLY could have had more money spent on it to so radically bring out the best in this script?

We seem to both agree that it was a "turd of a programme" but I blame a bad script and bad acting and can't envisage that a million pounds spent on it would have made it any better.

Presumably because I'm not a Doctor Who fan.............
I think that's rubbish. If they'd spent the 2 or 3 million they'd spent on The Impossible Planet on Fear Her they could have made a brilliant episode I think. There really is nothing wrong with the basic script.

The Widow of Brid

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 24, 2009, 10:08:25 PM
There really is nothing wrong with the basic script.

Not even the bit where The Doctor magics the olympics out of unicorns, puppy tears and love?

morgs

Quote from: boxofslice on October 24, 2009, 09:48:02 PM
Love and Monsters must of course get a mention as being on the poor side especially as it ends with a paving stone giving blow jobs.

Oh and it's got Peter Kay in it.

I really enjoyed it.  I am not a Peter Kay fan at all, and the whole thing is OTT, and the last bit of sexual innuendo is unnecessary, but it was fun and I would prefer another episode like it than another like, for example (as it keeps getting a mention) Fear Her which was just.... dull. 

Oh and I love Mr Blue Sky.

Cerys

Quote from: gloria on October 23, 2009, 04:15:29 PM
RTD has said that Doc 10's final words will end with 'n'.  Predictions?

'Oh no, not again.'

The Roofdog

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 24, 2009, 10:08:25 PM
I think that's rubbish. If they'd spent the 2 or 3 million they'd spent on The Impossible Planet on Fear Her they could have made a brilliant episode I think. There really is nothing wrong with the basic script.

I'm really not buying this either biggy. It's a fundamentally daft and slightly boring idea with some ridiculous plot contrivances - and that's before we get to the Olympics shit, which is surely unrescueable no matter what the budget. It never occurred to me to blame the production. The next worst thing after the script is the acting: I normally like Nina Sosanya but she's poor in this and the girl is even worse. Comes to something when Mo Butcher's the best thing in it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Roofdog on October 25, 2009, 12:39:02 PM
I'm really not buying this either biggy. It's a fundamentally daft and slightly boring idea with some ridiculous plot contrivances - and that's before we get to the Olympics shit, which is surely unrescueable no matter what the budget. It never occurred to me to blame the production. The next worst thing after the script is the acting: I normally like Nina Sosanya but she's poor in this and the girl is even worse. Comes to something when Mo Butcher's the best thing in it.

Come on the production is wretched on it, and that includes the acting and directing. I just cant see how the basic idea behind the episode is any sillier than any other episode of Doctor Who.

lipsink

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 24, 2009, 09:36:10 PM

I remember thinking exactly the same thing.

In the Radio Times for the 2nd series RTD said that with 'Fear Her' they were going for an 'Edward Scissorhands' vibe of evil in the suburbs, something which I think he's agree wasn't really successful. I was expecting lots of expressionist shaped houses and strange camera angles, a bit of Dr Caligari type stuff.

Neil

Quote from: Talulah, really! on October 24, 2009, 09:38:57 PM
Incidentally I think there must be another thread somewhere as that one goes from series one to series two and the outbreak of series one of Torchwood. Whilst the one that was just closed starts halfway through series 3. There is also one that Backstage with Slowdive alluded to, people choosing their favourite stories, though I think that was quite short and again, probably stuck inside the wimblemong subforum.

Just had a look, and couldn't see any more in there.  I also moved most of the non-Wimblemong threads from there, to PB and GB - leaving behind the non-worksafe ones, and a few others that don't make sense without their respective (temp) parent forums (e.g. the sub-forum where it was compulsory to talk like James Cagney.)  I had another quick search in case any threads required ADMIN POWER to show up, and found an interesting post in a thread called Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ? where Sheepy puts together what looks like a very comprehensive index:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 01, 2007, 06:36:47 PM
Not wishing to pee on your parade, but please don't be under the impression that we've lost the old threads.  We haven't, at least not any more.  Here they are, in chronological order of creation:

New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
Old Doctor Who
Torchwood Series 1
Newer Doctor Who (Series 3 (29) part 1)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2 - the current one)

As for your post itself, yes, a lot of what it says is quite true.  Unfortunately.  It'll be interesting to see where a new team take it.

HappyTree

Interesting comment about Fear Her wot I found innit:

"Stephen Fry had been pencilled in to write a story referred to as "The 1920s" for the eleventh slot of Doctor Who's 2006 season. By November, however, it had become clear that Fry's script would be too expensive -- especially late in the production schedule -- and the decision was made to postpone it until 2007, when it could be properly budgeted. (Ultimately, however, it was dropped altogether because Fry was too busy on other projects to carry out the necessary rewrites)."

I'd love to see a Fry episode of Doctor Who. Just imagine it:

Rose: "Doctor! What the arse-clenching botty hell are you doing?"

Doctor: "Never fear, never fearington my Rose-by-any-other-name. Oh joy beyond rapture, sweet anglets' fluttering wings of manlove do lift my heart even as I must deal the cruellest death blow to this spanklicious alien creature. Badgery bing-bong, soupy twist and hurrah for England! Baaaaaaa!"

lipsink

"Spunkleminge, Mr Cyberman, Flappy Tickle!"