Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "New" Doctor Who Thread

Started by boxofslice, October 21, 2009, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2009, 02:38:00 PMI also moved most of the non-Wimblemong threads from there, to PB and GB...

Wow, thanks for doing that, must have been quite an effort to do but bloody useful!

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2009, 02:38:00 PM- leaving behind the non-worksafe ones...

Bit confused by this - assuming they're picture threads, wouldn't they go in H. S. Art which has always been NWS?

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2009, 02:38:00 PMI had another quick search in case any threads required ADMIN POWER to show up, and found an interesting post...where Sheepy puts together what looks like a very comprehensive index:

Fucking hell, that was bloody useful of me, if I do say so myself!  I'd forgotten doing that.  The fourth & fifth ones down will be the ones Talulah was after, then.

Thanks again for de-Wimblemonging (most of) the old threads, that's really appreciated.

purlieu

Quote from: boxofslice on October 24, 2009, 09:48:02 PM
Love and Monsters must of course get a mention as being on the poor side especially as it ends with a paving stone giving blow jobs.

Oh and it's got Peter Kay in it.
Worst piece of TV, Who or otherwise, I have ever seen.  Awful, awful, awful, awful, awful.  I was physically angry by the end of it.

I don't get the big deal about Fear Her, I thought it was an average episode.  Some interesting ideas, certainly not the catastrophe people seem to think it is.  The Olypmics bit was, admittedly, embarrassing.

samadriel

I don't think Love & Monsters is that special, but it's vastly better than any other DW RTD's written (once you overlook the paving slab shit).

But yeah, I don't think Fear Her was a great catastrophe compared to the average DW episode; that vile Olympics stuff at the end is hardly worse than the rest of the desperate button-pushing the show doled out.

("His final word will end with 'n'"?  That counts as sizzle now?)

lipsink

Phil_A

Quote from: lipsink on October 26, 2009, 07:57:12 AM
I thought there were lost Hartnell/Troughton episodes. How did they get the clips from those?

Hmm, I did wonder how he was going to get around that. I see for some episodes were nothing survives(such as The Myth Makers), he's used handheld cinecam footage filmed during production. Quite a few clips seem to be sourced from an outtakes reel discovered in Australia, where violent scenes were frequently cut to appease the censors(which later turned out to be the only surviving material from many episodes).

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Phil_A on October 26, 2009, 08:40:50 AMQuite a few clips seem to be sourced from an outtakes reel discovered in Australia, where violent scenes were frequently cut to appease the censors(which later turned out to be the only surviving material from many episodes).

Oh of course!  I wondered myself how he'd got footage for every single episode - I was waiting for at least one with a still photosnap image to turn up but none did - and the infamous Australian outtake reel is the answer!  Thanks for that.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: lipsink on October 26, 2009, 07:57:12 AM
I thought there were lost Hartnell/Troughton episodes. How did they get the clips from those?
Also, I think some are from recaps at the beginning of existing episodes. I think the Marco Polo clip is from the start of The Edge of Destruction.

tygerbug

There's a couple of telesnaps or photos in there. Galaxy 4 is one. Mission to the Unknown is another. So is The Savages [odd, since there is existing footage from that story]. Looks like The Massacre is completely faked from another story [Reign of Terror, I'm sure].

I think The Mind of Evil is hand colorized as well. There is existing color footage from that story on home video, but not that particular shot. [Although Steve Roberts screened scenes from a dot-recovered color version recently, noting that some scenes were unusable at this point and needed work ...]

Quote from: Phil_A on October 26, 2009, 08:40:50 AM
Hmm, I did wonder how he was going to get around that. I see for some episodes were nothing survives(such as The Myth Makers), he's used handheld cinecam footage filmed during production. Quite a few clips seem to be sourced from an outtakes reel discovered in Australia, where violent scenes were frequently cut to appease the censors(which later turned out to be the only surviving material from many episodes).

I think The Myth Makers clip is from some 8mm film recorded by someone pointing a camera at his TV during a broadcast in Australia sometime in the late 60s.  There are a few silent clips from 60s stories that exist in that format, including some of the missing episodes.  Reign of Terror, The Savages, The Tenth Planet, Power of the Daleks and The Macra Terror certainly.

The only stories for which no visual clips at all are known to exist are, I believe, Marco Polo, Mission to the Unknown and The Massacre.

Bingo Fury

Quote from: gloria on October 23, 2009, 04:15:29 PM
RTD has said that Doc 10's final words will end with 'n'.  Predictions?

"So it was you all along, Sergeant Benton!"

purlieu

It could be a Channel 9 Neus style "Toto, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn"

papalaz4444244

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 26, 2009, 12:13:30 PM
Also, I think some are from recaps at the beginning of existing episodes. I think the Marco Polo clip is from the start of The Edge of Destruction.
D'oh! The other way around. The footage MUST be from the end of The Edge of Destruction. Dickhead.

lipsink

Ah, nevermind.

tygerbug

Come to think of it, I misspoke about Galaxy 4 - he used the existing clip of Maaga here, if memory serves.

But I remember another video where a shot of The Rill was used, which was faked.

Rev

Spoiler alert
I don't think I can go through this again
[close]

HappyTree

My best friend is this Estonian girl who has never seen Doctor Who. Or she hadn't until I sent her the 4th Season of the reboot to watch. And now she's watched it it's fascinating to see Doctor Who through the eyes of someone who doesn't have any cultural baggage or expectations from her childhood regarding this show.

She's been pretty blown away by it. She said that the theme of death was very present and there were lots of thought-provoking questions it threw up. She's described it as "intense, exciting, scary, humorous in parts and doesn't David Tennant have lovely eyes. And similar eyebrows to you. Pretty good for supposedly a 'children's programme' "

She also watched the 8th Doctor movie and liked Paul McGann's hair.

Sigh. Men are not totty! :-p

Rev

I've just watched 'Journey's End' on the old iPlayer.  It's still a mess, but that's not why I'm appearing before you today.  Why are there two gun shots at the end of the end credits?  It didn't lead into a trailer for another episode when it was originally broadcast, and if something was attached subsequently then the sound shouldn't really present itself before the thing has completely played out.  Have the shots been added for a reason?

Quote from: Rev on October 28, 2009, 05:53:04 AM
I've just watched 'Journey's End' on the old iPlayer.  It's still a mess, but that's not why I'm appearing before you today.  Why are there two gun shots at the end of the end credits?  It didn't lead into a trailer for another episode when it was originally broadcast, and if something was attached subsequently then the sound shouldn't really present itself before the thing has completely played out.  Have the shots been added for a reason?

There was a trailer for The Next Doctor straight after the credits when it was first shown, which I think the gun shots sounded through.

biggytitbo

Quote from: HappyTree on October 28, 2009, 12:56:16 AM
My best friend is this Estonian girl who has never seen Doctor Who. Or she hadn't until I sent her the 4th Season of the reboot to watch. And now she's watched it it's fascinating to see Doctor Who through the eyes of someone who doesn't have any cultural baggage or expectations from her childhood regarding this show.

She's been pretty blown away by it. She said that the theme of death was very present and there were lots of thought-provoking questions it threw up. She's described it as "intense, exciting, scary, humorous in parts and doesn't David Tennant have lovely eyes. And similar eyebrows to you. Pretty good for supposedly a 'children's programme' "

She also watched the 8th Doctor movie and liked Paul McGann's hair.

Sigh. Men are not totty! :-p

I'd imagine that must be what really strikes people who don;t know of Doctor Who when they watch it - just how ridiculously bloodthirsty and dark it is. We kind of take it for granted because Doctor Who has always been like it, but the body count on the show is incredible when you think about it.

gatchamandave

Quote from: Rev on October 28, 2009, 05:53:04 AM

There was a quick couple of clips showing the cybermen in the cemetry, Dervla Kirwan and David Morrisey in quick succession, then in bold metallic writing "Christmas 2008"

Neil

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 25, 2009, 04:36:40 PM
Wow, thanks for doing that, must have been quite an effort to do but bloody useful!

No probs :-)

QuoteBit confused by this - assuming they're picture threads, wouldn't they go in H. S. Art which has always been NWS?

They are mostly from the temp sub-forums such as 'Drive It All Over Me', so I guess they could go in HS Art, yeah.  Or into No Heavy Petting, but then it's turned off anyway.  Should maybe get rid of So Many Things, and move Facebook thread into here, or something. 

lipsink

Anyone see Elisabeth Sladen and RTD on BBC Breakfast this morning? They were on promoting The Doctor's appearance on Sarah Jane Adventures tonight. There was also a 'Waters Of Mars' preview that I'm sure we've all seen already. RTD said that the final 2 parter is going to "massive". Oh dear...

boxofslice

Quote from: lipsink on October 29, 2009, 09:56:53 AM
RTD said that the final 2 parter is going to "massive". Oh dear...

He said something similar about The Stolen Planet/Journey's End and apart from Dave Ross and the final five minutes, it was pretty dire.
But it's got Cribbins as the companion so there's hope.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: eluc55 on October 22, 2009, 10:15:49 AM
Way too similar. Maybe it'll look more different when seen properly, but on first appreanaces, thats pretty dissapointing. Especially as the current one was always fairly grim.

I asked someone a couple of years ago why Doctor Who was not filmed in HD, and amongst the answers was that they'd done a HD test on the Tardis set and it'd come out very badly - essentially, when shown at that definition, it looked fake.  (I also noticed that the first HD show they did, the most recent one, was one with no Tardis in it.)  So I'm assuming that if they've changed the Tardis set, it's primarily to make it stand up to HD rather than make any significant changes.

Jah Wobbler

Quote from: lipsink on October 29, 2009, 09:56:53 AM
RTD said that the final 2 parter is going to "massive". Oh dear...
Let none of us forget, this finale is a sequel to Last of The Time Lords. Feck me!!! Say what you like about JNT, at least when he fucked up spectacularly, he never gave us The Triplet Dilemma or Gold Nemesis the following year.

It's not really a sequel though is it? Unless you consider "The Mind of Evil" to be a sequel to "Terror of the Autons". Or "Planet of Fire" a sequel to "The King's Demons". Or "Survival" a sequel to "Trial of a Time Lord".

biggytitbo

It's not a sequel at all, apart from the fact the Master is back, and they'll probably be a 30 second explanation of how he survived. I wish it was a sequel though, that'd be great!

The Roofdog

Jemble Fred

Tonight's News at Ten will pick up exactly where last night's left off – and they won't even give us a 'Recently on...' at the start to catch up!