Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Computer Games

Started by hpmons, October 30, 2009, 09:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07JtE4pIq8U

Munchkin for the Philips Videopac.

"The Philips WHAT?!" you say...

madhair60

Great thread.  Old games make my world go round.  They're more or less all I play these days.

Been in a Manic Miner state of mind lately, what with the recent release of Manic Miner: the Lost Levels for DS, a fantastic piece of homebrew.

It plonks together a selection of 20 of the extra levels from various ports of Manic Miner (Oric, Vic-20, Dragon32 etc) into a whole new game.  Also includes 30 extra unlockable levels.  Fucking fantastic stuff.

Download it here

jimmy jazz

I've actually been playing through Theme Hospital lately myself, Ive forgotten how difficult it suddenly becomes in the last 3 levels. Fuck me it's hard. I remember Broken Sword being great fun but seem to recall being stuck in a Market in Syria for days before giving up.

mcbpete

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 31, 2009, 03:10:46 PM
Aye, I loved that, if I remember correctly it came with a tape version of Smokey Robinson's Tracks of My Tears which I listened to endlessly whilst playing the game. Fraid I never completed it either, due to it being incredibly difficult.
You may be thinking of Platoon by Ocean, that certainly came with a copy of Tracks of My Tears

This level shit me up as a kid, especially the time when the tape didn't load properly and everything was all glitchy ...

NoSleep

I bought a NES just to play Elite on it, as Ian Bell says that was the best version of the game. I had to buy the cartridge/console (£40 in all) as no NES emulator seemed to be able to handle the early 3D within the game.

It seemed a little easy, apart from the anarchist systems, as I have been playing another version of the the game - Elite A - on the DS (known as Elite AGB (runs on a GBA, too) - I can't find a link for a download at the moment). This version is hard as nails. Sometimes, as if the 5 pirates beating the crap out of you currently weren't enough, reinforcements will turn up to finish you off. To make things worse, you don't start off in a Cobra with its capacious hold, but a tiny craft that will only hold about 3 tonnes of goods (after tooling up, anyway). The good news is that you can upgrade your ship if you work out how to make a profit and survive long enough. And there are passengers/packages that you can take onboard if you think you can make their schedule.
The thing that always brings me back to Elite is its open-endedness. You can make your way through the game by whatever means you decide; as a trader (legal or illegal), pirate, miner, courier, or bounty hunter; unhampered by a plot. RPGs should all be like this.

Quote from: NoSleep on November 01, 2009, 12:04:11 AM
I bought a NES just to play Elite on it, as Ian Bell says that was the best version of the game.

What does Ian Bell know (apart from being co-author, that is)? I thought that conventional wisdom says that the Archimedes release is the best version of the original game.

Grab a copy of Arculator emulator to see...

EDIT:
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/game.htm
The man himself suggests as such (the Acorn Archimedes version being regarded as the best overall) too.

HappyTree

For anyone who hasn't played The Longest Journey yet, I strongly urge you to do so. I think it surpasses Broken Sword for story-telling, which was great itself.

Other old games I love are Alley Cat and a text card game called Mille Bornes.

NoSleep

Quote from: Garfield And Friends on November 01, 2009, 12:30:38 AM
What does Ian Bell know (apart from being co-author, that is)? I thought that conventional wisdom says that the Archimedes release is the best version of the original game.

EDIT:
The man himself suggests as such (the Acorn Archimedes version being regarded as the best overall) too.

I'm on a Mac, but i will look again for an updated emulator. When I last tried, there were issues running Archimedes Elite. Perhaps these have been resolved.
As I recall, the AI is what it's all about in the Archimedes version: you'll come across fights already underway between police & pirates, etc.

Back when I was investigating the emulated versions I came across Oolite, which is a modern (free) version of Elite with the ability to add mods, like new ships & missions (my favourite being asteroids that are peopled by pirates, that you can refuel on mid-system).

There were some great platform games on the Amiga 600

I really enjoyed Yo Joe! A game about youth violence and urban decay. Way ahead of its time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oegC3fn4cnQ

Zool, about a ninja alien from the nth dimension, arguably cooler than Sonic and Mario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEtGUVACBqs&feature=related

Lost Vikings, a frustrating game that required you to simultaneously control three Viking warriors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2qujZd1xFY

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's absolutely pissing down outside, days like these are what old computer games were made for.

SavageHedgehog

I loved Zool, I had a T-shirt and everything! I loved Cool Spot too; games funded by companies that manufactured tooth-rooting substances rocked!

MojoJojo

Quote from: Garfield And Friends on November 01, 2009, 12:30:38 AM

EDIT:

Slightly surprised by that - from what I remember, the Archimedies version was going to be an unrelated game, until the owners of Elite said Oi - that's our game, and took it.

NoSleep

As I recall, the Archimedes game is exactly Elite with a few tweaks under the bonnet.

Activision Atari Megamania

Megamania on the Atari 2600 was a good old school blaster. An almost neverending hailstorm of weird enemies in diagonal movement patterns to shoot.

phes

These are the two games most burnt into my memory - Bubble Bobble Two because it was awesome, and EFTPORM because it sounded awesome. I can't remember if it was though.

hpmons

In my restless state today, I have played many games:
- Neuromancer: Didnt know what to do after a while, looked at a guide but then didnt know where in the game they got the information...
- Darklands: Spent three hours yesterday in just character creation.  I prefer something with more direction though.
- Zoombinis: Hip hip! Zoombini! Hip Hip! Zoombini! "You've done exceptionally well!" Aw, you are too kind.

- SimTower: Looked nice at first, but theres no difficulty to it. Dull.
- The Lost Tribe: Played very briefly, then gave up. Seems nice though.

- Lemmings: Wasn't in the mood.
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego: Nice, I have vague memories of some Carmen Sandiego game a friend had...

- KGB: Seems good, but I'm stuck...Don't want to resort to a guide...
- Prince of Persia 1: YAY! I am dreadful at it though...

biggytitbo

The Amiga version of rainbow island was amazing, I don't think I ever played a game as much as that. So many secrets, so many elaborate combos to find. An amazing game, I think I might have to go play it again.

El Unicornio, mang

New Zealand Story was a good game, similar to Rainbow Islands. Ocean were the Big Daddies of computer software in the late 80s/early 90s.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

LOST EDEN

1995 PRETTY KIDS PC GAME LERDIES N GENNLMUN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GikeMZdbT0U

How awesome was that answer very

You likey dinosaurs

You likey Enigma style world electronica

You likey games you win every time?

you play you buy!

Whug Baspin

Thanks for reminding me of Rainbow Islands, a lovely game. Time seems to have taken away the memories of how frustrating these old games could be. The fond memories I have of old platform games like Citadel, Palace of Magic (BBC) and the Dizzy sagas totally outweigh the flaws, I mean a whole platform adventure game where you couldn't save, you had to play the whole thing through in one sitting! I think my nostalga starts to wear off at about the time of Mega Drive and Ecco the Dolphin.

Are there any younger folks here who could confirm if they get the same sort of warm ooze of nostalga about games they played when they were 9 or 10, say, Resident Evil 1, or Super Mario 64?

munkybitch

I miss my spectrum and the fact that it seemed to have some sort of futuristic motion detector in built so that I'd have to leave for a game to load (which took about ten hours) and it would then crash as soon as it "heard" me enter the room.

I might have been making this up but it sure felt like it when I was young. So much so that I would press play on the tape before mum would make me dinner then pray all the way through hoping that my beloved Dizzy or Ghost and Goblins would be ready.

Played this to death though (not sure why, but I loved it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw51jAN2uUI

biggytitbo

People laugh at the spectrum, but it did contain the single best home version of chase HQ -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onhV55pUejk

Little Hoover

One of my first introductions to gaming, I didn't get a games console in my early childhood, I had pc games like this instead.

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 03, 2009, 12:23:50 AM
People laugh at the spectrum, but it did contain the single best home version of chase HQ -

You do not know what you are talking about!

When it came to the home versions, the PC Engine one absolutely trounced the Speccy attempt.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Garfield And Friends on November 03, 2009, 01:26:22 AM
You do not know what you are talking about!

When it came to the home versions, the PC Engine one absolutely trounced the Speccy attempt.

PC Engine my arse. About 3 people in all of Europe had a PC Engine. The speccy version of chase HQ was the best version anyone actually had! Save for Darren Myson, who was adamant he had a Chase HQ arcade machine in his bedroom despite the fact nobody was allowed to see it.

Don't let the evidence get in the way of your original assertion. Jeeez, when you paint yourself into a corner, you'd likely suggest that walls don't count as legitimate barriers.

munkybitch

IK+ on super fast mode with two friends and sound turned on loud!!

IK+ International Karate Plus (Amiga)

bennett

Quote from: Little Hoover on November 03, 2009, 12:38:08 AM

One of my first introductions to gaming, I didn't get a games console in my early childhood, I had pc games like this instead.

AAAARRRGGGHH - Commander Keen!  that just took me straight back to sitting in my dad's office playing dodgy versions of games I'd got from from mates at school.

Another was Duke Nukem:

and some ropey Gem Miner game or some such.  Brilliant.

They were a massive update at the time as before that all I had was my uncle's old Commodore Vic20. 

I absolutely loved high noon, but I can't find any shots of it.

bennett

Quote from: munkybitch on November 03, 2009, 10:55:51 AM
IK+ on super fast mode with two friends and sound turned on loud!!

Oh yes!

What was the multiplayer game where you could be a dwarf, elf, warrior or wizard (I think).  We used to play through that for days...