Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moon (Spoilers)

Started by Ja'moke, November 19, 2009, 04:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Check out Matchstick Men. Its one of those little films Ridley Scott does fromm time to time to occupy himself between epics. Very good show

Serge

Well, I just watched 'Moon' again last night. Interestingly, this time, I realised that it's not said outright whether the original Sam is responsible for the cloning, though that was obviously my interpretation of it. I still think he's involved somehow - unless they're somehow meant to have cloned him without him knowing? But that's why I like this film - nothing is spelled out, and you have to think about it. Great stuff.

batwings

Just saw this and enjoyed it as the story unfolded. Liked that it didn't end with something predictable like a big action showdown with the 'rescue' force.

Thinking over it, however, I'm not sure as to why the company was pulling this elaborate scam with all the clones. Why the need for the skulduggery? Why not just employ people to do the work? The job didn't seem all that difficult to train people for - driving a buggy onto the harvesters, bringing back the helium 3 and loading it into a launcher - in fact it looked as though the AI and some robots could have done it. Was it somehow supposed to be cheaper to keep cloning the same guy? Didn't really ring true to me. I realize this is a bit anal but it bugs me when the antagonists in a film have no clear or sensible motive for all their hoop-jumping, resource-wasting, risky shenanigans. Unless I've missed something obvious?

Serge

Well, I guess it saves them having to send people to and from the Moon, but you're right, they're probably not saving that much money. It could also be the original Sam Bell is something of a control freak and has decided that no-one but himself is capable of doing the job, so cloned himself for that reason.

papalaz4444244

I just watched this, finally, and it was fucking tremendous.

(I got the impression they probably sent clone embryos up and grew them on the Moon while implanting the false memories.)

phes

cineworld are screening Moon a couple of times in the next week

http://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/2659

jennifer

You can ignore all the many plotholes if you just decide the whole thing is in Sam Rockwell's head - he's desperately lonely, starts talking to his alpha-male side, the Nietzian superhero etc. Personality clash because of course we never want to confront our true selves, we won't like what we find  blah blah. 

Then it becomes a really, really interesting study of the self and personality, rather than a hole-y plot sci fi adventure.

falafel

I don't think there are plot holes so much as implausibilities and deliberate omissions, which didn't bother me. Imagining it to be in his head actually introduces plot holes. And it being 'real' doesn't really preclude the film from being about all of those things you just mentioned. It's still a dying man all alone with himself.

In fact, you're led to think it's in his head for a good part of the film. When it is finally made concrete, that's when the really interesting questions start, about identity and recognition and autonomy...

Jemble Fred

Well aye – I'd say, seen from any angle, it's still a 'really, really interesting study of the self and personality'. Being so open to interpretation just lifts it to a whole new sphere of goodness.