Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Way to Blue: The Songs of Nick Drake

Started by Ignatius_S, December 05, 2009, 03:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Thought there might be a reasonably active Nick Drake thread... but couldn't see one, so....

On 22 January, at The Barbican there is:

QuoteWay to Blue: The Songs of Nick Drake
Featuring Danny Thompson, Vashti Bunyan, Green Gartside, Lisa Hannigan, Scott Matthews, Teddy Thompson, Krystle Warren, Robyn Hitchcock & more
22 January 2010 / 19:30

Undoubtedly one of the most influential English singer-songwriters of the last 50 years, Nick Drake found little mainstream success during his lifetime; however, since his untimely death at the age of 26, his fragile acoustic, autumnal music has touched the hearts of millions of people.

This very special evening, curated by his producer Joe Boyd, features original orchestrations arranged by Robert Kirby, who passed away very recently. Also featured is Danny Thompson, the legendary bassist who played on many of Drake's recordings, who anchors the house band along with special guest artists including Vashti Bunyan, Green Gartside, Lisa Hannigan, Scott Matthews, Teddy Thompson, Krystle Warren & Robyn Hitchcock who will celebrate the music through modern reinterpretations of his timeless song
http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=9914

On the site, there's a few videos of the performers. As well as liking Drake, I'm a massive fan of Hitchcock, who wrote a touching track, 'I Saw Nick Drake' - a while ago, he was meant to be part of a Drake Tribute album, which I don't think came to fruition... mind you, Phil Collins was also meant to be involved, so there's a silver lining etc. etc.