Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,404
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 870
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The VerbWhores' 1000 favourite albums

Started by The Plaque Goblin, February 06, 2004, 03:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falafel

I forgot to vote for Loose Fur, as well as Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And Sakura by Suzumu Yokota. And of course there's a hell of a lot more. But hey, that's still quite a list. I might stick it on my wall - remind me that these are the ones I probably ought to be buying next.

Edit: But what the hell is Paul Oakenfold doing there?
Edit 2: Sorry, that's Sasha, not Oakenfold. But the question remains.

smoker

55 i think but my eyes went a bit fuzzy towards the end of the list

falafel

And I've got exacltly 100 of them.

Whaddyaknow.

lazyhour

More careful analysis of the alphabetised list reveals that I have more than I thought.  The grand total comes to...

which suspiciously is the same as SurferGhost.  Coincidence?  Yes.

I'm satisfied.

Who chose 'Bright Flight' by Silver Jews, by the way?  It's possibly his weakest album!  And where the hell was smog?  Cuh!

Skunk Anansie, eh?  *cough*

I'm going to start boycotting this thread on account of the disgraceful omission of Living Legend by Roland Rat.

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I'm going to start boycotting this thread on account of the disgraceful omission of Living Legend by Roland Rat.

Does that have 'Pink Bucket Reggae' on it/

The Plaque Goblin

I reckon I've at least heard 303 of them, a big chunk of that number got from the library over the years.

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"????   Jarcrew - Breakdance Euphoria Kids

Anyone know when this Jarcrew album was released?
That one is from 2002.

And Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands should be 1987 not 1997

Each year from 1992 got over 40 nominations, no other years before. What do you make of that? Is it a reflection of the age group that dominates the board?

The Plaque Goblin

1994... I think I might be responsible for a lot of those. Do you think the fact that that year was 10 years ago may be significant?
Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"And here's a breakdown by year - I don't remember 1994 as being THAT great for music...

1963   2
1964   3
1965   4
1966   5
1967   18
1968   24
1969   17
Hmmm, what happened during 1966-67?

Quote1972   16
1973   19
1974   12
1975   12
1976   7
1977   14
1978   13
1979   17
So much for the year of punk!

Ambient Sheep

I have 135 of those albums, of which 12 I voted for, and 24 others I would have done if others hadn't got there first, plus another 3 only they would have been the same band twice.  4 of those in my list are cassette copies of friends' albums (so sue me).

1994 was indeed a great year for music, with Radiohead - The Bends, Massive Attack - Protection, Portishead - Dummy and Prodigy - Music for a Jilted Generation all featuring loud and often on my stereo.  I eagerly awaited their follow-ups, all of which arrived in 1997, and all of which were disappointing.  1997 was a dreadful year for music.  Unlike 1987, which was excellent.

Oh, and shouldn't it be Mat Mantlepiece - Transport and not the other way round?  Or even just Mat - Transport?

I didn't bother with this thread for ages, as I was away for weeks and couldn't be arsed to catch up on what had been voted in.  I have to take issue with this though:

Quote from: "The Unicorn"7. Counting Crows - August and Everything After (1993)

Awful, awful band.

king mob

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"I have 135 of those albums, of which 12 I voted for, and 24 others I would have done if others hadn't got there first, plus another 3 only they would have been the same band twice.  4 of those in my list are cassette copies of friends' albums (so sue me).

Cassettes!

You old codger you! ;)

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"

Awful, awful band.

I agree. But that album has a lot of really nice songs on it. Listen to 'Omaha' and tell me it's not a good song. Go on.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: "The Unicorn"But that album has a lot of really nice songs on it. Listen to 'Omaha' and tell me it's not a good song. Go on.

Be that as it may, I heard their version of the Psychedelic Furs "The Ghost In You" the other day which led me to the conclusion that the Counting Crows all need to die.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"So what's next..singles or films?
yeah - best 2000 songs countdown.
everyone gets up to 20 votes per post.

european son

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"
Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"So what's next..singles or films?
yeah - best 2000 songs countdown.
everyone gets up to 20 votes per post.

please dear god no. no more lists. please.

NattyDread

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I didn't bother with this thread for ages, as I was away for weeks and couldn't be arsed to catch up on what had been voted in.  I have to take issue with this though:

Awful, awful band.

Ha haa...'Cunting Crows' more like!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"OK people! Which are the stinkers that would never have got anyweher near your list?

for me:

1992 Radiohead – Pablo Honey (1992)

1993 Beck - Mellow Gold (1993)

1993 Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish (1993)

1994 Beck - One Foot In The Grave (1994)

1994 Green Day - Dookie (1994)

1994 Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)

1995 Garbage - Garbage (1995)

1995 No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom (1995)

1996 Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (1996)

)

I think they're all fab albums. Pablo Honey is a classic!

The Plaque Goblin

Hey, why did you leave off Guerrilla?

El Unicornio, mang

I haven't heard it. I liked 'Fuzzy Logic' though, so if it's anything like that, put that up there too.

european son

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I haven't heard it. I liked 'Fuzzy Logic' though, so if it's anything like that, put that up there too.

Guerilla is fucking boss. SFA snobs don't like it, but they can FUCK OFF!

only downpoint is the two/three weakest tracks on the album being adjacent in the middle of the album. not cool.

but is still a fucking great album.

i didn't really get into the last two LPs though. those first four albums (plus outspaced) rock my world though,

the hum

Christ, I have a grand total of 33 of the albums on that list, a good few of which I nominated myself.

fbb bastard

131 albums off list.......2 seriously fucked up eyeballs after counting.....and one brain-a-truly-boggling having completely missed the inclusion of  WAX......

NobodyGetsOutAlive

A pitiful 88.

I am really surprised at that.