Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck You, I Won't Buy What You Sell Me

Started by Jumble Cashback, December 09, 2009, 12:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Quote from: NoSleep on December 27, 2009, 11:30:21 PM
Ten years ago it was the norm for records to rocket to No 1 and nosedive the following week, due to the practice of offering a CD single dirt cheap in the week of release. It was all about getting an appearance on TOTP to help promote the act and the accompanying album. One reason for no longer having TOTP.

They did nosedive, this is true, but not out of the Top 40 (and very rarely, if ever, out of the top ten) - which is what I was waiting for in this case.  In reality, however, people have carried on buying the mp3, proving it has a fanbase outside of the Facebook campaign. 

Detective John Kimble

I wonder what the sale numbers were like this week?  They're usually pretty low after Christmas - no new singles or anything, but I wonder how close Rage were to getting a second week at #1.  I expected RATM to drop a fair bit, but it's good to see that it hasn't - 'tis a good song, after all.  Not that Hallelujah wasn't, but that campaign didn't gain even remotely close to the amount of momentum generated by the RATM campaign.

Similarly, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" has moved up 2 places to #7 this week.  That song climbed up into the top 10 last week, mainly thanks to Joe McElderry performing it on the X Factor, but it's also stuck around the top end of the charts.  I'm rather pleased about that too - it's a song that kind of worms its way into your heart, despite how cheesy it is.  Miles better than Bon Jovi or any rubbish like that. 

Paaaaul

One thing I think you've all ignored is....yawn......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

purlieu

'Kid A', while not a single admittedly, did drop from its number 1 spot of several weeks to 13 in the chart, which is the largest drop of any kind I recall from my days of following the charts.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Detective John Kimble on December 27, 2009, 11:44:04 PM
Similarly, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" has moved up 2 places to #7 this week.  That song climbed up into the top 10 last week, mainly thanks to Joe McElderry performing it on the X Factor, but it's also stuck around the top end of the charts.  I'm rather pleased about that too - it's a song that kind of worms its way into your heart, despite how cheesy it is.  Miles better than Bon Jovi or any rubbish like that.

Isn't it also Journey's first ever "proper" UK hit? (I think Who's Crying Now wormed its way to 40something when it was released)

Detective John Kimble

According to ChartStats, yeah.  Don't Stop Believin' didn't so much as get into the top 60 when it was first released, and Any Way You Want It either never came out here or it didn't make the top 100. 

23 Daves

Quote from: Detective John Kimble on December 27, 2009, 11:44:04 PM
I wonder what the sale numbers were like this week?  They're usually pretty low after Christmas - no new singles or anything, but I wonder how close Rage were to getting a second week at #1.  I expected RATM to drop a fair bit, but it's good to see that it hasn't - 'tis a good song, after all.  Not that Hallelujah wasn't, but that campaign didn't gain even remotely close to the amount of momentum generated by the RATM campaign.

Apparently RATM were being outsold three copies to one by the number one record, so they weren't remotely close to gaining a second week (the number one sold 196,000 copies this week, so you do the maths).

Post-Christmas sales are weird these days, because anyone who gets an iTunes voucher over Christmas or gets themselves a new mp3 player can start stocking up immediately if they want to - there's nothing making an online music store close.  They may still slow down in the first week of January, though - I'm not sure about that.