Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:45:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best (and blurst) Christmas films

Started by turnstyle, December 14, 2009, 10:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TotalNightmare

Quote from: Ignatius_S on December 14, 2009, 03:31:04 PM
He was too busy making My Stepmother Is An Alien.

Sadly, i think the closest he ever came to that was Ghostbusters 2, which is set over the 1989/90 holidays (see the one clip with the Ghostbusters wearing Santa hats during the montage "we're back" segment).

Actually, thinking on a little, Im prettty sure Dan has done some recent shitty holiday movie where he probably played a bad neighbour trying to outdo someone else's xmas.

I also vote for Young Sherlock Holmes and Basil the Great Mouse Detective as my xmas faves.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: TotalNightmare on December 14, 2009, 04:46:36 PM
...Actually, thinking on a little, Im prettty sure Dan has done some recent shitty holiday movie where he probably played a bad neighbour trying to outdo someone else's xmas....
That would be Christmas with the Kranks, which although crap did okay business at the box office - his character is horrifed when the Kranks refuse to celebrate Christmas/decorate the house. Yet another far from good role choices Aykroyd has made, but it gave another chance to work with old flame, Jamie Lee Curtis, I suppose.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Young Sherlock Holmes is fucking amazing. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I don't get the Home Alone films at all. A cunt inflicting pain on other cunts for a laugh. Charming

One of the cunts is an 8 year old boy, and the other two cunts are grown men who want to steal from Christmas, so be reasonable. The moral of the story is that even though Kevin is a runt, evil paedophiles and thieves are definitely worse. Fun though the pain inflicting is, I much prefer the first half of Home Alone II: Lost In New York because of the Plaza Hotel scenes. It's fun seeing a kid commit credit card fraud AND YOU CAN'T TELL ME IT ISN'T.

SavageHedgehog

I saw Home Alone 2 in the cinema as a kid when it came out, which is odd because I didn't like the first one at all. I quite enjoyed it though, and was quite enjoying the bit of it I saw on TV about six months ago.

I liked Home Alone until he got killed by bees.

Serge

Another 'Bad Santa' fan here - in fact, I was thinking of watching it agin this week to get me in the proper festive mood.
The scene where he
Spoiler alert
punches the reindeer's head in
[close]
actually caused me to hurt myself laughing. Also the best use of the word 'fuckstick' I've ever heard. Not to mention 'ass clown'.

Marty McFly

Quote from: TotalNightmare on December 14, 2009, 04:46:36 PM
Sadly, i think the closest he ever came to that was Ghostbusters 2, which is set over the 1989/90 holidays (see the one clip with the Ghostbusters wearing Santa hats during the montage "we're back" segment).

Well, that and the fact that a mentalist guy on Venkman's TV show at the start of the film claims that the world will end on New Year's Eve of that year, thus setting the scene for something terrible to happen again in New York, yes..

Have to agree with CG's sentiments about seeing Home Alone first as a kid to really enjoy it, I think all the Christmas films I can watch every year I first saw in my youth. And most of them have been mentioned in this sodding thread already. Even Bernard and the Genie!

I do have a soft spot for the Arnie/Phil Hartman/Sinbad vehicle, 'Jingle All The Way', yes it's corny, but then what Christmas film isn't?!

No mention of The Snowman yet?

An tSaoi

Quote from: Serge on December 14, 2009, 05:35:25 PMNot to mention 'ass clown'.

That guy from Office Space leaves thread disappointed.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 14, 2009, 05:13:16 PM
Young Sherlock Holmes is fucking amazing. Thanks for reminding me of that.

It is! A comic book retelling of the story par excellence, and I'd even go as far to say Nicholas Rowe is one of the best screen Holmes ever. And still 25 years later one of the best uses of CGI in a film ever.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 14, 2009, 05:13:16 PM

One of the cunts is an 8 year old boy, and the other two cunts are grown men who want to steal from Christmas, so be reasonable.

OK if its bad man played by Joe Pesci, but not OK if its bad man played by Berlusconi?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Now that's good casting.

It's okay because it's a kids film. Even when Marv has been electrocuted to the extent that he momentarily becomes a screaming skeleton you know he'll be ok. Yet when Harry gets that oily gooey gun out on Kevin at the end, I always think "noooo!!! that's murder!"

It's Christmas.

biggytitbo

No less violent than the standard family Christmas I suppose.

biggytitbo

What about films that whilst not Christmas themed are always on at Christmas so are sort of traditional?

I'd go for Von Ryan's Express, I love that film! Willy Wonka too is a treat it's impossible to ever get tired of.

vrailaine

Babe's got a bit about Christmas, so it counts.
A Christmas Story is wonderful stuff altogether, only saw it last year and regret not seeing it when I was little, would've loved it.

CaledonianGonzo

Special mention for On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

If not Christmassy in the trad sense, it's set over Christmas and has Diana Rigg wearing nothing but a big parka skating up to save James Bond in a snowy Swiss village, with John Barry soundtracking the whole thing. 

People who want to stay alive play it safe.

Mah-vellous.

Ginyard

Cool. reminds me  -  When Eagles Dare. That's got to go in, cos its got snow aint it?

An tSaoi

TotalNightmare

I think the reason why i love Young Sherlock Holmes so much (bar being a massive Homes nut anyway) is that, despite playing VERY fast and loose with the pre-history of his adventures and having a very Indiana Jones feel, it still manages to be completely in tone with the original tales.

It has elements of The Final Problem, Sign of Four, Study in Scarlet, The Dancing Men and the Musgrave Ritual (although im guessing that Chris Columbus didnt really read all that much of the original stories). Its also pure Spielberg in terms of that 80s blockbuster feel that you get in Goonies, Back to the Future or Gremlins. I think this film is probably worth a revivial sometime soon, it certainly deserves a proper DVD with all the trimmings.

Talking cakes, writhing corpses, flying machines, evil cults, walking stained glass windows, murderous hat stands, sword fights on frozen lakes, all victorian christmassy winter stuff - This is one of my faves!

Ginyard

I always loved that bit with the tripping uncle and the stained glass knight.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Ginyard on December 14, 2009, 07:17:08 PM
Cool. reminds me  -  When Eagles Dare. That's got to go in, cos its got snow aint it?
And skiing.

Another vote here for Bad Santa. Genuinely heartwarming.
Die Hard, Batman Returns (for the Walken) and any one of three Christmas Carols. Sim, george c scott or the Muppet one.

Don't get the Wonka love. I love the look but its the awful musical numbers that kill me. Plus IT'S NOT SET AT CHRISTMAS.

CaledonianGonzo

I have been convinced to revisit this Young Sherlock Holmes thingy (which I've not seen in about 20 years and can't remember anything about).  (Presumably bare bones) DVD ordered for £2.98.

Gulftastic

The Great Escape. They sing Xmas sons in it.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 14, 2009, 06:37:40 PM
Special mention for On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

If not Christmassy in the trad sense, it's set over Christmas and has Diana Rigg wearing nothing but a big parka skating up to save James Bond in a snowy Swiss village, with John Barry soundtracking the whole thing. 

The soundtrack also includes a Sound of Music-esque musical number called Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown? with loads of little kiddies singing about trees dying from too much snow and not enough love.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on December 14, 2009, 07:50:48 PMThe soundtrack also includes a Sound of Music-esque musical number called Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown? with loads of little kiddies singing about trees dying from too much snow and not enough love.

So it does..

(It's neither Hal David nor Barry's finest moment, but I like it nonetheless....)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Groundhog Day - although set on Groundhog Day in February, obviously - has snow in it too, so can that go in?

Also, despite being an avowed Christmas classic (in America at least), I've never actually seen either version of Miracle on 34th Street. Is it/they actually any good?

biggytitbo

Quote from: TotalNightmare on December 14, 2009, 07:41:42 PM
I think the reason why i love Young Sherlock Holmes so much (bar being a massive Homes nut anyway) is that, despite playing VERY fast and loose with the pre-history of his adventures and having a very Indiana Jones feel, it still manages to be completely in tone with the original tales.

It has elements of The Final Problem, Sign of Four, Study in Scarlet, The Dancing Men and the Musgrave Ritual (although im guessing that Chris Columbus didnt really read all that much of the original stories). Its also pure Spielberg in terms of that 80s blockbuster feel that you get in Goonies, Back to the Future or Gremlins. I think this film is probably worth a revivial sometime soon, it certainly deserves a proper DVD with all the trimmings.

Talking cakes, writhing corpses, flying machines, evil cults, walking stained glass windows, murderous hat stands, sword fights on frozen lakes, all victorian christmassy winter stuff - This is one of my faves!

I'm holding out for a cracking Blu Ray release. A film as packed with gorgeous boys own imagery as this needs the full works.

biggytitbo

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 14, 2009, 07:43:21 PM
And skiing.

Another vote here for Bad Santa. Genuinely heartwarming.
Die Hard, Batman Returns (for the Walken) and any one of three Christmas Carols. Sim, george c scott or the Muppet one.

Don't get the Wonka love. I love the look but its the awful musical numbers that kill me. Plus IT'S NOT SET AT CHRISTMAS.

Awful music?! The Candyman can!

niat

Quote from: An tSaoi on December 14, 2009, 07:32:38 PM
DIE HARD.

Yes! When "Let It Snow" is played right at the end, it's just about the most festive thing ever.

An tSaoi

TotalNightmare

Don't lets start quoting Die Hard or we could be here some time...

"Come on John, Christmas is the time for miracles"

"Just like fucking Siagon, hey slick?"
"I was in Jr High, Dick head"

"Ver are my detonators?!"

Ginyard

Anybody else go through a phase of saying 'yippee ki yay motherfucker' a lot?