Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:42:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Movies 2010

Started by Nik Drou, December 15, 2009, 11:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nik Drou

Fuck Guy Richie.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1889701376/tt1522835

I couldn't find a bigger picture, but the tagline reads 'The world's greatest detective has finally met his match', which - combined with the poster - earns a more satisfying laugh than presumably anything in either the film or its big-budget counterpart.

Anyway, movie-wise there's very little I'm currently looking forward to in the new year.  Hollywood seems to have decided that we've decided to like swords again, with Clash of the Titans, Prince of Persia and Robin Hood all being the tentpoles this time around.  Robin Hood will probably be the best, even though I can't bring myself to watch over two hours of Russell Crowe slowly hanging round a drizzly forest in Surrey.

Robin Hood 2010 Trailer 1 HD 108op

Other than that, Kick-Ass and Iron Man 2 should be fun, but my only guaranteed ticket is for Toy Story 3, hopefully in 2D.

'Toy Story 3' Trailer HD

Anything else?

non capisco

I'm really looking forward to Michael Winterbottom's adaptation of Jim Thompson's nutso 1950's crime novel 'The Killer Inside Me', as I'm a fan of both the director and the book. That and 'Four Lions' are the main two I can think of right now that I'm champing at the bit to see. Eastwood's 'Invictus' could be good, but I'm going more on recent form than anything more substantial on that assumption. There's also a film about Allan Ginsberg's obscenity trial after the publication of 'Howl' starring James Franco that could be interesting.

Santa's Boyfriend

Is "Maddie: The Movie" coming out this year?

phes

i've had a look but i can't find it anywhere

Jemble Fred

Now hang on, that Robin Hood looks like it could well be fucking ace. I'll only end up picking it to pieces, though, knowing me.

Hopefully it won't be quite as mercilessly dark as the trailer suggests, if it's as po-faced as Gladiator was (great film, but it was a melodrama) then it'll be a bit of a missed opportunity. Can you do 'epic' and still have light and shade? It'll piss all over Kevin Costner, certainly, Rickman or no Rickman.

Neil

As a headsup, there won't be all-encompassing threads for 2010 like this or 2010 Records in Oscillations, I want people to start new threads for movies and albums from now on, rather than lumping them together.  So if we can have this as a 'see whats in the year ahead' thread, rather than a 'sucks up all individual movie review' thread, that'd be great.

Any comments about this moderation issue can be raised with me privately.

Emma Raducanu

Hopefully the Coen Brothers will have Hail Caesar ready for 2010 because I'm not sure I could wait more than another year for one of their films.

Terrance Malick's The Tree of Life is the film I'm most excited about. I know Sam fellates Malick but he quoted someone as saying it'll be revolutionary!

JPA

Has anyone heard anything good about The Road? I like a nice piece of post-apocolyptia.

papalaz4444244

I just hope this pointless 3D craze finishes soon. We won't be due another one for around 20 years.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: DolphinFace on December 16, 2009, 12:02:06 AM
Terrance Malick's The Tree of Life is the film I'm most excited about. I know Sam fellates Malick but he quoted someone as saying it'll be revolutionary!
Although no explanation was ever given as to what exactly that meant.

Small Man Big Horse

Jaco Van Dormael's Mr Nobody should open soon, it's been released in a few countries. I know he's only made two full length films, and the last one was thirteen years ago, but I loved both Toto Les Heros and The Eighth Day and so I'm really looking forward to it.

kidsick5000

Quote from: non capisco on December 15, 2009, 11:14:02 PM
I'm really looking forward to Michael Winterbottom's adaptation of Jim Thompson's nutso 1950's crime novel 'The Killer Inside Me', as I'm a fan of both the director and the book.
The 5min trailer for that is something else. Jessica Alba makes for a very good 'bad girl'.

Robin Hood looks good, even if Mark Strong looks very panto villain

copylight

Quote from: Nik Drou on December 15, 2009, 11:04:28 PM

Hollywood seems to have decided that we've decided to like swords again, with Clash of the Titans, Prince of Persia and Robin Hood all being the tentpoles this time around.

え! well there's Nicolas Winding Refn's Valhalla that should hopefully get a second run this time.

Jemble Fred

New trailer for the shamefully misleadingly-titled Alice In Wonderland movie, which confirms that it's not an adaptation of the book(s), but a piece of fan-fiction, an 'inspired by' sequel to the real stories:

http://www.youtube.com/waltdisneystudiosuk#p/c/6CC922482BFC4684/1/9POCgSRVvf0

Looks quite fun actually, I just wish they'd made it clear from the off that it was merely 'a riff on' Alice, rather than a genuine attempt to do the books justice. I bet those guys working on the American McGee adaptation are pissed off, this seems to be much the same idea, just with less 'edgy' emo design.

vrailaine

Have to say that Toy Story 3 trailer done absolutely nothing to quench my fears for it.

I'll be probably seeing Avatar on New Years Day or something like that, probably go to Zonad in March, reviews seem to be pretty confused about it in general so far, will go to Four Lions if it gets released round here at all and Woody Allen'll probably have something or another coming out that I'll give a chance to.

SavageHedgehog

Russell Crowe playing Robin Hood in a film by Ridley Scott that tries to capture the character "as he might really have been"? I have to say on paper nothing could sound more tedious to me, but I must admit that trailer's pretty good.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on December 16, 2009, 04:14:15 PM
tries to capture the character "as he might really have been"?

That's dogcock though, they've just gone the old 'Bad Prince John, Good King Richard' route, which is as hoary and fictional as you can get. Certainly, even ignoring the (admittedly very dodgy) historical possibilities of the character, the original Geste has Edward as King. So it's just the same old Prince of Thieves crap, but.... GRITTY.

SavageHedgehog

Well that's what they've been claiming they're trying to do, thus why on paper the film looked like a certain bore to me. If it is dogcock I'm glad, frankly.

Slightly OT but Robin Hood related, I picked up Robin and Marion on ye old VHS the other day. Is it any good?

Jemble Fred

I love the way that Friar Tuck is always the first to go any time an adaptation claims to be 'more realistic/gritty/historically accurate' etc (Tuck being a well-known character from village pageants and the like, openly spliced into the Robin story much later), and yet they still seem fit to trot out the Prince John nonsense again and again.

This looks like a more interesting movie set in his reign: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233301/

vrailaine

I thought that Robin Hood film fell apart during production? A massive fall out between the two.

New Aronofsky film due next year, he's got an outstanding track record in my opinion.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: vrailaine on December 16, 2009, 05:07:34 PM
I thought that Robin Hood film fell apart during production? A massive fall out between the two.

The original concept was that Crowe was going to be playing Hood AND Nottingham, in some kind of Batman way, I presume. And the film was called 'Nottingham'. That all went by the wayside when they had a crisis, and they simplified it to this pretty normal version of the legend.

One good thing though, Sienna Miller got replaced by Blanchett.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: JPA on December 16, 2009, 01:03:48 AM
Has anyone heard anything good about The Road? I like a nice piece of post-apocolyptia.

They were advertising it a month ago so I assumed it would get around to be released by now. Is it being postponed for an oscar run perhaps?

I liked Viggo's story that Cormac McCarthy invited him to call any time to discuss the character or how parts of the story were supposed to work. The interview then went as followed:

'Did you?

No.'

graaasp!

Details are really vague but there's (almost definately) a Predator sequel coming out next year. It's called 'Predators'.

I think there will be more than one Predator in this film. Maybe quite a few.

Jemble Fred

It could just be two of them – one, uptight, always plays it by the book, the other a kooky maverick.

That's the only way I'd watch it, anyway.

Ginyard

A sort of 'The Odd Predators'? Yeah, I could watch that.

samadriel

They've already reduced the Alien series to trash (and reduced the Predator series from enjoyable trash to actual trash), they may as well be entertaining about it and make the Alien Loves Predator movie.

kidsick5000

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on December 16, 2009, 04:33:25 PM

Slightly OT but Robin Hood related, I picked up Robin and Marion on ye old VHS the other day. Is it any good?

As I remember it, it's probably closer in concept to what Nottingham was about.
Robert Shaw is great as the Sherriff. He seems to be the only one with brains, and is looking to bring order to the land. Not in some iron fist way, but general peace and safety. It's almost like he's allowed Robin some leeway to play outlaw over the years but now its time to grow up.
He doesn't hate Robin but he knows that if Hood, who has just returned from the Crusades, wants to play at outlaws again, he has no choice but to put him down for good.
It's all very elegiac, pinig over lost youth, the 'good old days' etc. It's Connery, Hepburn, Shaw and Niccol Williams.
This may be all misremembered.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Jemble Fred on December 16, 2009, 02:57:28 PM
New trailer for the shamefully misleadingly-titled Alice In Wonderland movie, which confirms that it's not an adaptation of the book(s), but a piece of fan-fiction, an 'inspired by' sequel to the real stories

That is depressing, but increasingly typical of Burton. It's really fucking annoying that he basically ruins everybody elses chances of getting genuine adaptations done for years. Planet of the Apes, Charlie And the Chocolate Factory. All shat on by Burton and his hoop-striped tentacled re-imaginings