Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Open Arena & Urban Terror; and other free first-person shooters with online play

Started by NoSleep, December 17, 2009, 08:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Let's start this in the right sub-forum unlike the thread I just got chucked from:

Quote from: NoSleep on December 14, 2009, 01:45:04 PM
Is anyone up for a spot of FPS? Aside from Urban Terror, which I've been enjoying immensely for the last few weeks, and is completely free to download and play, I've discovered another great, free, FPS - Open Arena - again built on the Quake3 game engine. It plays like a dream (smoother than Q3, it seems to me), and there's always a game going on sometime, somewhere. Plus, the player standard is not so rock hard (there's nothing but 10-year veterans on the Q3 servers these days) that I just get wasted by opponents that I didn't even see coming (I've almost won Open Arena Free For All a couple of times). It's only 304MB download, and has a built-in single player campaign to get you started before you go online (although I would get in there straight off - it's more of a laugh against human opponents).

I'll also take a look at [urlhttp://tremulous.net/]Tremulous[/url], which matches two teams against one another in a struggle between "Alien"-like aliens (they have a growth cycle from little bug-like things through to monsters, and have the insect-like ability to crawl on walls and ceilings) and humans (who can stand on the ground and develop their bases ability to provide better technology as the equivalent to the cycles for the aliens). Once again built on the Q3 engine.

Open Arena is probably the best one to start with, if you haven't played an FPS before. Also, we can probably find an empty server for some CaB-only fragmentation.

Baxter

Yes. I'm very bad at arranging things.

These sound good along with http://sauerbraten.org/ also being very fun both for it's dynamic map system and the fps itself.

I'm free to be blown up in circa 60 minutes.

NoSleep

I'm up for a game of OA tonight if you're ready. (Downloading Sauerbraten right now)

60 minutes: OK

NoSleep

NoSleep

Baxter's graphics card appears to have committed suicide rather than be used to play OA. Does that count as a win for me?

rudi

I'm just downloading this. Is it hard? I'm shit at FPS. I is a sports man (armchair var) innit.

NoSleep

oops...

It's as difficult as the other players make it for you, and, so far, I've not appeared at the bottom of the list, like I'm used to on the Quake 3 servers. So, assuming I haven't improved my gaming skills overnight, there must be a lot of inexperienced players on the servers.

NoSleep

NoSleep

I've tried another couple of FPS's; Sauerbraten (on Baxter's advice) & Nexuis, but both seem a bit flickery, at least on a Mac. And neither's interface is as straightforward as OpenArena (based as it is on Quake 3).

I hope rudi is practicing up for a match soon, and that Baxter has sorted his graphics card problems out. In the meantime, there are plenty of players on both Urban Terror and OpenArena right now.

NoSleep

I'm finding Urban Terror to be the best of the bunch; due mainly to the abundance of players (none of whom post on CaB). I've even signed up to a new UrT clan, because their servers are the best fun for inexperienced players (and it was founded by someone, I believe, is even older than myself).

Baxter

I'm now firing on all render pipelines so can join in a match any-time.

NoSleep

I didn't see this until now. Give me a pm if you're up for a game or two. It would be good to fire up Skype at the same time, for some voice communication during play.
I'll be in the chatroom tonight, if anybody's up for a game.