Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beach House- Teen Dream [2010]

Started by actwithoutwords, December 19, 2009, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

I don't think I've seen a mention of this at all on here yet?
Absolutely loving this. I think probably the best new album I heard all year (given that MPP happened last December).
I have always loved the warmth of their sound, but this is a huge improvement on Devotion I think. Picking up the tempo somewhat has had some fantastic results. Norway is the lead single, but that's only mid-table really in terms of the great songs on the record. Take Care and 10 Mile Stereo in particular are absolutely wonderful.

Anyone else enjoying it?

ThickAndCreamy

I didn't know it had leaked but I'm looking forward to hearing it. Devotion and their debut are both very good records although the songs often just blend into one and stick around the same sounds and styles. They don't have enough differentiation really, that's not to say the records are bad, they are still great. I'm hoping the next record manages to evolve their sound and make the songs more distinguishable from each other.

Judging by the new songs when I saw them live over the summer, it should be excellent. I would heartily recommend seeing them live as well, as they are hypnotically calm and beautiful and perfect for a festival.

CaledonianGonzo

I'll weigh in on this more fully post-Christmas.  I like what I've heard so far, but am setting it to one side to enjoy in the post-Pogues RATM season*.  Norway is a wee cracker of a song, though.

Anyway, got tickets for the Grizzly Bear/Beach House show at the Queen's Hall - my favourite venue in Edinburgh - so that's something to look forward to next year.

*Likewise those two new Midlake tracks, which are an audio Christmas 'present' to myself that shall not be opened until the morning of the 25th.

CaledonianGonzo

Yeah - despite what the other thread says, this is probably the first great record of 2010.

Neil

Aaah, I noticed they were touring from my last.fm recommendations, and have been meaning to get the new record after seeing this thread before Xmas, so I'll have to do that now.  2006's eponymous full-length debut was just...lush, a gorgeous, beautiful collection of songs that just made you want to spin around in joy.  Master Of None was one of the single-greatest things I experienced that year, I'm sure.  I haven't heard anything since, so I'm intrigued to know if they still have that kind of muffled, warm production. 

Really intent on getting to see them live.

ThickAndCreamy

If you love them on record, you'll love them live. They are utterly dense, warm and so very soothing live, they do make extremely good dream pop really, although their albums are very repetitive in sound. I can't really comment on their new album yet as I've only listened to it once so far as I'm trying to stick by my 1 month policy of every album.

El Unicornio, mang

Got hold of this album last week, and have listened to it pretty much every day. Incredibly good record, lovely dreamy instrumentation and beautiful vocals (I actually thought the singer was a man until I read up on them, very unique voice and she's cute too). Also got their first two albums, which are decent but I'm not quite as keen on, I definitely think their songwriting has improved considerably between albums. Would love to see them live but doesn't look like they're coming anywhere near the South East of the US :-(.

Liking a different couple of songs with each few listens but at the moment I'm really digging "Lover of Mine" and "Norway". The only song I would possibly have cut from the record is the second last one.

Neil

I listened to it again a few times this week while mooching about, and found it a bit dull.  I enjoyed it as a backing to a midnight bike ride, but nothing is really sticking so far, other than Take Care.  Will give it another few listens in case it's a grower, but I really miss all the gloomy atmosphere, especially as it's been replaced with a certain sense of blandness.

alan nagsworth

Ah I love this record. The tunes remind me of Fleet Foxes in places. That's a very good thing.

mobias

Its a great album. The track Norway has some of the best use of pitch bending I've ever heard in a song.

El Unicornio, mang

The first two albums are growing on me, particularly love this song off the first album. Cool vid too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2YiUTh9dj4