Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thread idea

Started by gazzyk1ns, February 06, 2004, 06:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

Here's an idea for a thread, which could be started once by everyone - tell me what you think.

I'm sure we've all found ourselves on here and bored, wishing people would hurry up and reply to threads you're interested in. In fact, I'm sure it happens to most people quite regularly. Conversely, sometimes, you've not got much time for whatever reason, and you're on here getting all annoyed that there are loads of threads you'd like to read properly but are forced to either only "do" one of them "properly", or scan-read most of them and risk looking like an idiot when you reply only to mention something which has already been covered, or misinterpret the original post, or whatever...

What I'm saying is that potentially people could have a more enjoyable time on the board if they let others know how much time they have to spare - well, there's obviously no need to tell people when you're in a hurry, but when you've got time to kill and your brain and typing fingers are in gear... I think  we should let people know.

When you're in that situation, why not just start a general discussion thread? Calling it that would be shite, you could go several ways - the one which I think would get most replies would be starting a thread called "Ask me about my... [job/pets/hobby/family/car/friends/accommodation]... and tell me about yours." Such a thread would hopefully proceed as such (what follows is complete fiction obviously, designed to illustrate what I'm thinking of - I'm not attempting to start one of these threads here):

Title: Bored/chat-thread: My office

Thread starter:
Hi, I'm not doing anything this evening so I fancy passing an hour or so of it on here chatting with you. Ask me about my office, and tell me about yours - I don't care if it's stuff I've already touched on/asked about or not. Then we'll see how similar or different our workplaces are...

[description of office]

What's yours like?

------

Responder #1

Haha mine is like that too, except there's a massive fat woman sitting in the corner called Janice, who always...[details]

------

Haha yes, everyone has the fat woman in there somewhere, don't they... interesting you mention about the...[more shit]

------

Responder #2

The worst thing about my office is my fucking manager, she's...[rant]

------

And so on. That might seem a bit cack but the main point I was trying to get across is that more than two people were engaged in it, and the thread starter makes a fair effort to reply to everyone for a while after starting it. It sounds a bit like "threads with rules and time limits" but I don't mean that at all, I was just thinking that to avoid "wasted" ones, there's a general agreement that you've started one of these threads because you'll be online here for a bit and want to have a bit of a chinwag which others might want to get involved with.

It would be like a cross between a chatroom and a message board, in a funny way. A lot of the time I'm frustated with both for the opposite reasons - often a messageboard isn't "quick" enough, and a chatroom is a bit too... "live" for you to just relax and enjoy it. You find youself apologising for not replying on the line under the person who was speaking to you - "Ummm don't think I was being rude, I took my fingers of the keys to scratch my kneecap.." and all sorts of wanky bollocks like that. That and there's almost always some tosser trying to be "a character" of whatever kind in a chatroom and it's easier to ignore on a messageboard. Also, you can easily quote specific passages easily on here, as opposed to saying "haha fuck her then, I would!" to someone you know well in a chatroom, only to see that whilst you were typing someone you don't really know has said "Hey all, just had some bad news, my wife's got cancer...".

Think about it, I think we could get a fair few gooduns out of the format - many people round here are bound to have quirky pets/jobs/relationships/whatever. And once a thread has a certain number of replies with some substance, there's plenty of opportunity for it to just become a perfectly normal thread - i.e. poeple just popping in and addressing/replying to whatever aspect of whoever's post in there.

I suppose the thread started would have to put a little bit of effort in to start with to get people interested enough to reply - I can just imagine someone starting a "Ask me about my favourite drink - mine is coffee." thread, or something similar.

So there we are, whaddaya think? Good? Bad? Unnecessary?

ccab

fanny splendid

And, if you're in a rush, you could grab a couple of whores and count to ten!!!

fanny splendid

Bilko

You feel really disappointed when you think you've come up with a great thread idea. Then you post it and hardly anyone responds, or people reply and say what a crap idea it is.

steevbishop

The problem is you've described more or less what happens on this board, and is the premise of most message boards I've ever been to; except that you're really asking people to be less of an arsehole in their replies by laying down some 'hey, let's do it like this, like a hippy communion' rules.

I see your point, I understand where you're coming from, but it isn't going to work. Just settle in, you'll be fine.

Timmay

So it's a thread, that was started by someone really bored, suggesting ways or topics to start a thread, if you're really bored.

Ahh, the circle of online-life.

butnut

Ah, this is one of those post-modern threads, isn't it?

grindyourmind

I quite enjoyed reading it.

...is it just me or was Gazzyk1ns taking the piss out of all of you who start threads about your workplaces anyway?

gazzyk1ns

Oh there was a bit of that in the example there Mundays but I was serious about the idea. Everyone was right though it's cack, no problems.

Yup ccab, sleepness night... hehe never mind.

Ambient Sheep

Just wait until it gets to page 71!  Coming soon!

Cerys

I really hate it when there are loads of threads I'd like to read properly, but I'm forced to either only "do" one of them "properly", or scan-read most of them and risk looking like an idiot when I reply only to mention something which has already been covered....

fanny splendid