Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Technology in Cinemas (3D, Digital etc) (following from Avatar thread)

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, December 22, 2009, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

This has been talked about in the Avatar thread, figured it probably needs a thread of its own.

(Apparently Avatar has made a big splash in 3D, but not so much on 2D screens.)

Does anyone know about what the actual new technology looks like?  I know a guy who used to be the projectionist for an IMAX and told me the 3D projector in there was an absolute fucking monster of a contraption.  Are these new projectors running off a server or off a disc drive or something?  How do they actually receive the films now?  Are they like big discs or hard drives?

Feralkid

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on December 22, 2009, 08:18:49 PM
This has been talked about in the Avatar thread, figured it probably needs a thread of its own.

(Apparently Avatar has made a big splash in 3D, but not so much on 2D screens.)

Does anyone know about what the actual new technology looks like?  I know a guy who used to be the projectionist for an IMAX and told me the 3D projector in there was an absolute fucking monster of a contraption.  Are these new projectors running off a server or off a disc drive or something?  How do they actually receive the films now?  Are they like big discs or hard drives?

By happy coincidence I've just completed a short film (yay for lottery funding!) - it's digital HD affair and I'm arranging a cast & crew screening for sometime next month in me local Art House cinema.  Which has just such a gizmo.   I'm gonna ask all kinds of questions.   

keith bland

Hello.

How did you get the lottery funding for your movie Feralkid? Because I would probably like to make a movie one day I think and obviously it is much easier to make a movie if you have some money to actually make it with of course! So did you have to tell them what it was about then or did you just have to make a promise to them that you would make a good movie?

My movie that I want to make is all about this villain called Eric Talbot who is really old and he has just got out of prison at the start of the movie because he is about to die from this illness so they've let him out early and anyway he's really furious at the man who put him in prison in the first place twenty years ago or whatever so he says to all these other villains that he will pay fifty million pounds to whoever kills this man and the man is called Jackson Reynolds and he used to be a cop but now he is retired and then the movie is basically about all these villains trying to kill him and it's really action-packed because there are like fifty villains all trying to kill him everywhere he goes and soon even regular people who aren't villains hear about it and they get involved as well and try to kill Jackson Reynolds and it just gets even more crazy. Also there is a romantic bit because Jackson ends up being helped by this woman called Hattie Hathaway and at first she doesn't want to help him because she's scared obviously because all of these villains are trying to kill Jackson all the time and she wants nothing to do with any of that sort of thing but then just before the end of the movie she decides to help him because she has fallen in love with him by then because he is nice and handsome and brave. There is obviously much more to the story of it but I don't want to spoil it for you just in case you want to go and see it when it comes out.

If you want, Feralkid, you can be the director of this movie if you think that it is good enough but I will write the script of it first for you so that you can read the actual script and get a better idea of what it is all about because I haven't explained it very well really so if you just wait about two weeks then I will give you the script then.

Also when I was a little kid I went to see the third Indiana Jones movie with my friend Anthony because it was his birthday treat to go and see this movie and take a friend with him which was me and anyway near the end of it I got a bit scared because Indiana Jones had to go into this cave thing where people were getting killed so I went to the toilet even though I didn't really need to go and when I came back out of the toilet I went through this other door and I ended up in the room where they actually project the movie from and it was very interesting to see the projector. I can't really remember if I went through the other door by accident or if I went through the other door because I was being nosy but anyway I didn't stay in there very long and I didn't touch anything so it's no big deal and anyway they should have locked it if they didn't want people to go in there because I don't think I could even read back then so if it said keep out on the door then I wouldn't be able to read that anyway so they should have locked the door really. But anyway it was interesting to see the projector because I didn't really know how films got onto the cinema screen before that day.

Keith

Ginyard

I like to read your stuff Keith because I find you write interesting stuff when you write unlike the stuff you don't write which isn't so interesting but could be if you wrote it of course although I'd suggest you do it with a pen which is better than a computer because you dont have a screen for distraction which by the way rhymes with attraction which is something I'm feeling for you which is a word that reminds me of a sheep although thats spelt ewe isnt it or am I wrong?