Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA The Ballad of Gay Tony

Started by jennifer, December 24, 2009, 05:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jennifer

Anyone else playing this? It's my favourite since Vice City, the morality of GTA4 with the humour of GTAVC. I love how much the writers HATE alpha-male types. Brucie was my fave in GTA4, just adorable, and I love the scorn the writers poor on Morie in this one, calling him a "hellish imp" "terrifyingly insecure midget" and the excellent "two men and a little cunt" moment.

Could do without some of the homophobic language, but then it's equally offensive to all I spose, and how many other games do you get to play the proud henchman to an out gay character? (Love Louis's relationship with Tony, and his shit boyfriend). How many video games have ever had an out gay character?(Always had my doubts about Jak and Daxter).

_Hypnotoad_

Will be tomorrow....

Thank-you Santa!

jennifer

Ah, don't think any of that was a spoiler. Except *SPOILER* I can't spell 'pour'.

I think it's great too, my favourite GTA so far. The cutscenes in this and Lost & the Damned were fantastic, reminding me of The Wire at points. And such cool weapons - TOOOOOMMMYYY GUUUUUN, LUIS AINT HAPPY UNLESS HE GOT ONE. The end missions for both expansions were a bit easy though. Unlike anything involving the FUCKING buzzard. And the Celebinator mission is one of the best things I've ever played.

Rev

Quote from: jennifer on December 24, 2009, 05:28:04 PMLove Louis's relationship with Tony, and his shit boyfriend

It's surprisingly sweet at times, particularly towards the end (without giving anything away).

I'd go with it being the best instalment so far, too, although the initial stretch is a little underwhelming.  Once the missions begin to get silly, though, it remains gold until the end.

kittens

I just wish they would release the add-ons for the PS3 version. I really don't want to have to buy an Xbox just for one game.

jennifer

It's easy enough without being too easy, (very few missions require more than one go, and if they do, it skips through within-mission checkpoints so you rarely have to start from the top, which isn't very GTA but saves time) I'm having trouble with Frosting on the Cake, but anything with bombs is my weakspot, I'm chronic for blowing myself up by accident (see also Rocket Launchers) Looking forward to playing this mission from the bikers POV...

UPDATE: anyway, it's nice to be able to discuss GTA without being branded A MONSTER. A friend of a friend is no longer speaking to me after reading this article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/dec/16/adult-videogames-sexual-violence-women

And asking me 'do you really sleep with prostitutes in the game then kill them for their money' and I, not knowing she'd read this imflammatory nonsense, responded "well, you can, but it's much more classy to let them go with a cheery wave (then run them over, laughing)." She now thinks I'm a traitor to my gender. Possibly I am. It's difficult to explain 'sandbox' to someone who's never played a video game before. I did say you haven't been able to get health points from shagging pros since Vice City, and you don't have to kill any prostitutes at all, you could equally have a lovely game of golf, a disco dance, or go skydiving, but she's stil treating me like that peado nursery woman. Bitches eh.

bill hicks

I've still only ever slept with 1 prossie in a GTA game (on the verge by the subway station in Portland in GTA 3 if you're interested). I still don't really know how you even pick them up.

My big thing was always taking a sniper rifle to a high building and then picking of old women. I got one in the leg in GTA4 and she was crawling and pulling herself away down the street leaving a trail of blood. I jumped down and casually walked up to her before knifing her in the back and kicking her corpse for a while.

She wasn't going to walk ridiculously fucking slowly taking up the whole fucking pavement in front of people again.

If I could find a way of killing people who do more than one transaction at cash points, mothers with prams pretending NOONE ELSE EXISTS IN THE WORLD when walking down the high street and the cunts who come into work and ignore the barrier in front of the right side doors with the big sign saying NO ENTRY PLEASE USE OTHER DOORS, then I think I may achieve a measure of calm in my life.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: bill hicks on December 27, 2009, 01:25:10 AM
I've still only ever slept with 1 prossie in a GTA game (on the verge by the subway station in Portland in GTA 3 if you're interested). I still don't really know how you even pick them up.

My big thing was always taking a sniper rifle to a high building and then picking of old women. I got one in the leg in GTA4 and she was crawling and pulling herself away down the street leaving a trail of blood. I jumped down and casually walked up to her before knifing her in the back and kicking her corpse for a while.

She wasn't going to walk ridiculously fucking slowly taking up the whole fucking pavement in front of people again.

If I could find a way of killing people who do more than one transaction at cash points, mothers with prams pretending NOONE ELSE EXISTS IN THE WORLD when walking down the high street and the cunts who come into work and ignore the barrier in front of the right side doors with the big sign saying NO ENTRY PLEASE USE OTHER DOORS, then I think I may achieve a measure of calm in my life.

I think you should write a Christmas song. If you put it out next year and try to get to No.1 you could really show that twat Simon Cowell a thing or two. I bet he's never killed an OAP before, the cunt.

Penfold

Quote from: kittens on December 24, 2009, 08:42:05 PM
I just wish they would release the add-ons for the PS3 version. I really don't want to have to buy an Xbox just for one game.

It's coming at the end of march

kittens

Custard

If I buy either Gay Tony or Damned direct from Live, will the entire game-world be instantly open, as in all the islands etc? Does anyone know?

EDIT - Reason I ask is, i have GTA IV, but i'm a bit shit at it, and have only ever been able to run amok in the first two islands, so it'd be great to see the rest of it.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: Shameless on January 29, 2010, 12:14:03 PM
If I buy either Gay Tony or Damned direct from Live, will the entire game-world be instantly open, as in all the islands etc? Does anyone know?

EDIT - Reason I ask is, i have GTA IV, but i'm a bit shit at it, and have only ever been able to run amok in the first two islands, so it'd be great to see the rest of it.

They both run as independent games and so, although I'd long completed GTA IV so can't be 100 per cent sure, but I'm pretty positive, you don't have to have opened up all the islands in that to play them.

In fact, Lost and Damned has it's base on the third island and so you're there pretty much from the start.

Custard

spanky

It was always speculated that the Xbox deal was just timed exclusivity rather than completely exclusive, but it's nice to have it confirmed. I assume they'll both come on disc for PS3, as downloading updates and demos for mine crawls like buggery so I'd actually be way quicker walking to a shop and buying it.

New lease of life for a two year old game? Ripper. I'm still playing San Andreas too.

Little Hoover

Is this from a trusted source? there was one false one, suggesting it was soon coming to PS3 with an exclusive 3rd episode as well.

mobias

Its the best news I've had all day. I think most people who knew anything about the inner workings of the games industry thought this would happen eventually. I'm just surprised its this soon to be honest, i was expecting it to happen later in the year. I'm a huge GTA fan but stuck with Sony and the PS3 when choosing which console to upgrade to from my PS2. I was green with envy when the two bolt on packs were released for the 360. Really looking forward to playing them at last. Especially with the extra online stuff you got. 

chand

Quote from: mobias on January 29, 2010, 08:10:02 PM
Its the best news I've had all day. I think most people who knew anything about the inner workings of the games industry thought this would happen eventually. I'm just surprised its this soon to be honest, i was expecting it to happen later in the year. I'm a huge GTA fan but stuck with Sony and the PS3 when choosing which console to upgrade to from my PS2. I was green with envy when the two bolt on packs were released for the 360. Really looking forward to playing them at last. Especially with the extra online stuff you got.

It was only 360 exclusive for a certain period, presumably that's elapsed and it would always come to PS3 and PC eventually, there's still a big market there. I'll be buying it anyway.

spanky

I'm surprised that they're both made available at the same time, as BOGT is still a recent 360 release.

falafel

Absolutely awesome news! That was pretty much the only thing making me think I should have got a 360. No more doubts! Hurrah!

D'you think the deal made MS a profit though?

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: falafel on January 30, 2010, 12:24:32 PM
Absolutely awesome news! That was pretty much the only thing making me think I should have got a 360. No more doubts! Hurrah!

D'you think the deal made MS a profit though?

Well it was only apparently an interest free advance as Take Two were up shit creek and being stalked by EA at the time, but either way I would imagine it more than paid for itself. Not the DLC itself but sales of the console itself and original game at release based on the promise of the DLC.

AsparagusTrevor

How much gameplay do you generally get from these episodes?

Rev

It's difficult to say with GTA, given the pissing about element.  Both episodes are probably about 'Vice City' length, put it that way.

AsparagusTrevor

Pretty decent amount then. Not that I'm anywhere near finishing GTA IV yet, these will hopefully be very cheap by the time I'm ready for them.

jennifer

I am unbearably stuck on the mission Ladies Night (stalking a car in a helicopter). It's GTAIV Flying School all over again. Weep.

PS Don't make the mistake of watching videos of how to do the levels on youtube. It was when I realised the mission is ten bloody minutes long I knew irrefutably I'd fuck up at minute 8 every time. My brain hates me.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: jennifer on February 02, 2010, 03:19:34 PM
I am unbearably stuck on the mission Ladies Night (stalking a car in a helicopter). It's GTAIV Flying School all over again. Weep.

PS Don't make the mistake of watching videos of how to do the levels on youtube. It was when I realised the mission is ten bloody minutes long I knew irrefutably I'd fuck up at minute 8 every time. My brain hates me.

Do you get lost as it goes through the tunnel? That's where I always chuffed up.

Unfortunately I can't remember how I solved this problem.

I think in the end I looked at the map and worked out where the tunnel came out and simple flew to the other side and watched it come out - the rest was easy.

Space ghost

You can fly quite high without failing the mission iirc. The left and right bumper buttons are your best friends when controlling the helicopters, I almost exclusively use those two buttons and the right analouge stick to fly.

So basically use the bumpers to rotate the chopper and nose forward on the stick to control your forward motion. You need to be thinking about where your chopper is going to be in about 3 or 4 seconds time constantly.

jennifer

Thanks for the tips - re the choppers, are you constantly accelerating (ie rising) with the R2? Or just every now and again? I find you move forward fast constantly accelerating and tipping forward, but you'll eventually fly smack into the ground/a building. Flying without holding down R2 seems to offer the opposite problem, no movement forward and a gentle drift downwards. Is there a balance or a knack to it?

Rev

You have to have a very gentle touch in controlling the helicopters, and I never managed to quite get the hang of it.

I screwed up that mission so many times, always at the tunnel bit.  What I eventually realised is that the car goes through that tunnel supernaturally fast, so you need to hoof it to the exit as soon as it enters.  Using the camera focus to track it at that point is completely hopeless, as it seems to focus on the tunnel as a whole rather than the car.