Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [split topic]

Started by AsparagusTrevor, January 02, 2010, 10:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

I've just finished the main story mode of Modern Warfare 2, I know I'm a bit late but I only got it for Christmas.
Had a blast of course, really enjoyed it all. It was just all a bit short, and a bit too easy too, but a good cinematic experience with some great set pieces and a James Bond level absurdity to some of the action.

Spoiler alert
A bit pissed off they left the story with us not really knowing Soap's fate, although I think he'll be back somehow. Also, Makarov never being apprehended and Soap & Price being wanted criminals was never resolved. The scene at the end though, where Soap pulls the knife out of his stomach and chucks it at Shepherd's face was pretty damn badass though.
[close]

Now, which one of the many games bought on the Steam Sale do I play now?

wheatgod

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 02, 2010, 10:41:28 PM
I've just finished the main story mode of Modern Warfare 2, I know I'm a bit late but I only got it for Christmas.
Had a blast of course, really enjoyed it all. It was just all a bit short, and a bit too easy too.

Bump up the difficulty if you'd like a challenge! Veteran is nuts.

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah, I did it on Hardened, middle ground like I usually do my first play-throughs. Don't get me wrong, I did die a bunch of times, but found the whole ride smoother than a lot of games.

I think I'll give Veteran a go then, thanks. I'll prepare to be seeing lots of military quotes.

hoverdonkey

Yeah, I've been doing it on veteran and am at the bit with the computer, but haven't touched it since I asked for tips here a couple of weeks ago, because I know it's going to be a bitch and will annoy me.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: hoverdonkey on January 03, 2010, 09:47:09 AM
Yeah, I've been doing it on veteran and am at the bit with the computer, but haven't touched it since I asked for tips here a couple of weeks ago, because I know it's going to be a bitch and will annoy me.
Yeah that was the part I found the hardest, Ghost got killed a few times and things went to pot soon after. I think it took about 5 tries.

wheatgod

There's a spot by the stairs you can stick at - watching the entry door and stopping anyone who comes close to the computer.

You don't have to stop people getting in, you have to stop them destroying the modem. They'll come in, take aim at it, then you wipe them out.

Have yourself a big heavy machine gun like the LFG or AUG.

Its the escape after the computer that left me in a quivering wreck...

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: wheatgod on January 03, 2010, 01:20:07 PM
There's a spot by the stairs you can stick at - watching the entry door and stopping anyone who comes close to the computer.

You don't have to stop people getting in, you have to stop them destroying the modem. They'll come in, take aim at it, then you wipe them out.

Have yourself a big heavy machine gun like the LFG or AUG.

Its the escape after the computer that left me in a quivering wreck...

Weirdly I had no trouble with the escape, managed to get that first time. With the computer protecting, after I'd learned I'd have to cover Ghost a bit better, it all clicked. I did take up point at the bottom of the stairs, set up a few claymores on the driveway and used a Striker with a nice spread to just blast the doorway when some cunt came in, and the odd guy who came in through the back window.

Quote from: hoverdonkey on January 03, 2010, 01:28:34 PM
Thomas and I have been watching Cars a lot this week and because I am so easily suggestible, I have an urge to buy a racing game. So which do you Cabbers suggest? I'm sure weekender loved a racing game.

The three I've been looking at are Forza 3, Grid and the latest Need for Speed.

I've been playing DIRT 2 quite a bit recently, I'm enjoying that.

Artemis

I didn't think the bit with the computer was so bad. I stayed in the back room (with all the guns) so I could easily stake out both entrances to the house. I died a few times but all you're really doing is plodding on until your next checkpoint.

Leaving the house was easy - plant a load of claymores in the driveway (I mean like about a dozen of them) then leg it to the far left by the fence. Ghost fucks off to kill all the baddies in the boathouse, leaving you to pick off the stragglers who made it past your claymore trap. Then sprint and flashbang/grenade your way through the final tree bit and you're done.

MW2 was my first gaming experience since the snes, and all other games I've bought (Fallout 3, GTA IV etc.) haven't even been touched. So I have no point of reference, but it feels like an incredible game. I went through and completed it all on recruit, which I actually found very difficult in places because I havenn't played video games in about 15 years, then studied loads of walkthroughs (primarily R3b3l Ink on nextgenwalkthroughs) and have been using them to help me through Veteran. I'm now one mission away from completing it, and have found 'Enemy of my Enemy' (the aeroplane graveyard) by far the toughest challenge so far. The last level to complete is the one in the caves.

For me, spec-ops is far more challenging. I can't get through 'Sniper Fi' even on regular - it's a real bitch! I managed Suspension on hardened which was fun, but I've not been able o do it again since! Anyway, once I'm done with the campaign, I'll put it back in it's box.

I haven't tried multiplayer, and I'm not interested. I've read too many 'KILL ALL NOOBS!' comments and I get the impression it'll be full of cunts. So, no thank you.

Another one late to the MW2 party here and I'm extremely disappointed with the campaign mode. My flatmate's got it on the 360 so I know all about the multiplayer but I was expecting a lot more from such a massively popular and acclaimed phenomenon.

Also, I find the Left 4 Dead games far more enjoyable multiplayer bash. Perhaps I need to unlock more of the online modes to get more out of it MW but I've barely touched it since completing the campaign.

Neil

Quote from: Artemis on January 03, 2010, 10:27:38 PMFor me, spec-ops is far more challenging. I can't get through 'Sniper Fi' even on regular - it's a real bitch! I managed Suspension on hardened which was fun, but I've not been able o do it again since! Anyway, once I'm done with the campaign, I'll put it back in it's box.

I haven't tried multiplayer, and I'm not interested. I've read too many 'KILL ALL NOOBS!' comments and I get the impression it'll be full of cunts. So, no thank you.

It's full of macho braggarts and mouthy kids, but that's part of the fun of multiplayer games, in a way.  You just have to not let them bother you, and laugh it off when they scream about "NOOB TOOBS" and the like.  I'd really recommend giving it a bash, it's fantastic fun, with an admittedly steep learning curve.  This should be helped by the skill-ranking stuff, and there are various bonuses which Infinity Ward use to level the playing field as much as possible.  Or we could get CaB parties going again, those were a laugh, and I'm kind of hoping this thread will help us get that arranged. 

"Kill all noobs" isn't really accurate, as it implies that people single them out, and that's not really the case, partly as it's so frantic that there isn't time.  There are also a bunch of different game modes, where you can play tactically, or just go all-out balls-to-the-wall mental in a run-and-gun Rambo style like me.  You die a lot, but it's a hell of a lot of fun, although sometimes I switch to the more stealthy approach...walking in crouch so you make no/less noise, bringing up your sight before your look round corners, listening for another player thundering past, etc etc.

Plus, once you get into the multiplayer section, you get to see a whole new side to the game.  There's an extensive number of "load-outs" you can equip, and you start accruing XP so you can unlock weapon attachments -and perks that give you really cool abilities - meaning that you can tailor your profile to best fit your own personal playing style.  You are rewarded after every match, in some way or another, even if it's just a shitty new accolade.

You should give 1 vs 100 a bash on Xbox Live, too.  I'm a bit addicted to it (along with MW2) currently.  No cunts at all on there due to the way it's setup, and you can always simply mute mics etc on these things anyway.  Spotted past poster Ben Baker doing very well on there in the music quiz last night, and got my first top 100 placing meself, yay.

I'd really implore you to give multiplayer gaming a go, it's astonishingly good fun, and the unlocks in MW give it a real sense of achievement, not to mention the sort of 'just ONE more go' syndrome that will keep you up till the early hours.

And yes, special ops is fantastic, I am a big fan of these games where (as with Horde mode in Gears of War 2) you are pitched against overwhelming odds in an entrenched position, as wave after wave of enemies respawn, and you and maybe just a few more people have to counter them.  It's a brilliant dynamic that stretches right back to Space Raiders, in a way, and things like Smash TV, but it's getting so much more fun these days with internet co-op.  It's a pity I've never found the L4D demo's engaging enough to warrant saving up for the full games - not generally that keen on games that seem to require spamming, rather than precision (which is why I always preferred Quake 3 to UT).

The Masked Unit

Re multiplayer, just mute everyone else or set up your preferences so that you can only hear friends or people in your party. For the very best experience though you need to get together with  people from somewhere like here. Feel free to add me as a friend (this goes for anyone) - my gamer tag is Tascam Holiday. I don't get the chance to play on MP all that often but it'd be great to play with the VW's.

VegaLA

Good call.
I found Terminally Relaxed on this past weekend but we were having trouble getting into the same match despite being in the same party together. Sinbad and I are arranging some online session this coming weekend so yeah, a VW MW2 meet up is in order.

glitch

I'm game for that although I'm really rusty.

Not exactly amazing when I'm on form either.

Neil

What load-outs are everyone favouring?  I've played SCAR-H 98% of the time since I started about a week ago, and usually accompany it with stopping power, bling and steady aim.  However, I'm getting ready to embrace new guns, if only to rack up more XP.  So, I've tried sniping again.

And I'm actually beginning to feel like I'm getting somewhere with it, after really plugging away at it last night, in spite of many deaths and few kills.  I went into a TDM round there with the Acog sight (to unlock thermal sight), cursing it, but by the end of the round I placed top on the winning side, and was loving it for mid and even reasonably close-range kills!  Now I've got thermal unlocked, and it can't be partnered with acog, so back to long-range I go.  I think I fancy the challenge of unlocking all the Barret .50 attachments.  I've NEVER really been able to snipe, but the idea of getting good at it is really intriguing.

EDIT:  I'd better make a seperate, proper sniper class now.  It's really just my 'stinger for shooting down shit' class that I swap to, now using cold-blooded after bill hicks mentioned that it stops enemy choppers etc targetting you while you do so.  But it doesn't half make you conspicous when you're trying to hide.  I'll deffo be going Pretige, if only for the extra class slots.

Sniping is so fucking gratifying when you're on a roll, picking them off.  I got two close-up, no-scope headshots too, heheh.

Borboski

What were we saying 6pm Sunday for a CaB session?

Is "Akimbo" two guns on the go at once?  That's what I'm going for right now, just because it looks cool!

Neil

I can't do Sundays, but Saturday is likely fine. 

Yes, Akimbo is dual-weapons.  Not tried those yet, but tend to pick up akimbo rangers when I see them lying about. 

Just about to unlock FMJ for my Barrett.  Fuck yeah.

Little Hoover

Huh? What on earth is Neil doing at 6pm on a Sunday?

Santa's Boyfriend

Fry

AsparagusTrevor

What system? I'd be up for it (although I've never played multiplayer CoD before) but I only have PC version.

niat

I'll definitely be on later, but not sure if I can do as early as 6.

Edit: AsparagusTrevor, I think most of us are on the 360.

matt

I'm in for this, will be on for most of this evening.

GT is SHATNERSBASS00N. I've just added a few people not previously on my list, just in case you were wondering who it was sending you a request!

Neil

Had some good games with TTT there, breaking for food and Big Brother, but will be back on at 10.  Hehe, someone needs to take charge and organise a party over there.  neilbombd is my Xbox id by the way.

Learning sniping is going as sloooowly as I expected, but it's fun, and makes me inclined towards the completely opposite style of gameplay as before.  So well worth it.

VegaLA

Good sesh today, I didn't get on as early as i'd have liked and missed Sinbad as a result but Neil and a few of us got some games in. I was a grade one when I started today but thanks to some games in the Domination game type I managed to get to level 9. Domination is by far my fave Game Type option available to me at the moment.

niat

Good games with Neil and VegaLA last night (sorry I had to duck out as my son was crying upstairs.)

I like Domination best too, especially when you are in a team with people working cooperatively (VegaLA, you were particularly good at letting us know where enemies were camped, calling for cover etc.)

Has anyone else had this happen: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/10/new-modern-warfare-2-server-hack-turns-players-into-the-flash/
I had it twice on Saturday night, I thought my controller was fucked at first, but it makes you skate along at ridiculous speeds and your momentum keeps you going for a bit when you try to stop. Amusing for about 10 seconds, then really annoying.

Neil

Yeah that was good stuff last night, I'm deffo up for more.  I had a really, really good round with the sniper rifle.  Got my first Collateral Damage!  Two kills with one sniper bullet - they both showed as headshots, too. 

I want to do all of Special Ops in Veteran as well, did a few of those with Vega last night and they were a lot of fun, so if anyone else is trying to beat them in Veteran, feel free to give me a shout and we can team up.

Borboski

I'll be on from 11pm tonight, to kill some terrorists.  God i hate terrorists.

Artemis

I'm going to need two things:

1. One of those wireless adaptor things, because my 'through the PC' connection is dodgy, and...
2. A subscription to XBox Live, because I don't have one, obviously.

glitch

Anyone up for some gaming tomorrow night?

I've gone up 10 levels since being dismissed from work this week :/