Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Computer game, "EVE". Problems. Can anyone please help?

Started by Huzzie, January 16, 2010, 06:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huzzie

Hi. I just bought the game Eve. Now, I have to sort out an account, I have done that until the point where it tells me I'll need the Eve Time Code card from the retail box to complete this process and I haven't got a clue what they are talking about!

I bought the game today, new from Game.

It is spec edition, EVE online.
Exclusive: 60 day game trial.
INstant war access
Advanced career guide
VIP pass
Spec Edition ship.

Inside are the instructions which dont appear to have any code anywhere and a flyer, 21 day all access pass, which is for me to get a friend involved so we can both ger some extra days.

This is really frustrating me! I was very much looking forward to having a go on this.

I know some of you have played this game, so 'd be extra,, extra grateful if you can tell me what the fuck is happening!!

Thankyou!

Milo

You should have a card the same size as a credit card in the box with a silver scratch-off panel on it which contains the code. If you haven't - good luck trying to convince Game that you haven't just nicked it from the box and are trying to rip them off.

Huzzie

Quote from: Milo on January 16, 2010, 06:26:20 PM
You should have a card the same size as a credit card in the box with a silver scratch-off panel on it which contains the code. If you haven't - good luck trying to convince Game that you haven't just nicked it from the box and are trying to rip them off.

Bastard (not you Milo)!!

I was really looking forward to having a look at that tonight!

Well, thanks for letting me know anyway, mate.

Slaaaaabs

What you can do is sign up for a trial at http://trial.eveonline.com then when you get your card you simply convert your account from a trial to a full paid by entering the key. That should work just fine as all you'll need to do is install from your disc, update and use the account details from your trial signup.

Huzzie

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on January 16, 2010, 07:25:58 PM
What you can do is sign up for a trial at http://trial.eveonline.com then when you get your card you simply convert your account from a trial to a full paid by entering the key. That should work just fine as all you'll need to do is install from your disc, update and use the account details from your trial signup.

Thanks Slaaaaabs. I'll try that.

I'll still be fucked though if I need a credit/debet card though.

Cheers.

Does anyone here play it, by the way? Fancy showing me around the Galaxy when/if I get up and going?

Milo

Pretty positive it doesn't need a credit/debit card to sign up for a trial - pretty unusual, that.

I've just started playing on a 5-day reactivation after being away for ages and ages. Not good enough to be showing anyone around.

Huzzie

Quote from: Milo on January 16, 2010, 07:58:29 PM
Pretty positive it doesn't need a credit/debit card to sign up for a trial - pretty unusual, that.

I've just started playing on a 5-day reactivation after being away for ages and ages. Not good enough to be showing anyone around.

Even so... do you not fancy having a look around together?

Milo

Aye, could do. I'll PM my main character name.

EDIT: Have PM'd but it hasn't appeared in my sent items or anything. I may be doing it wrong.

Huzzie

No no, I got it. Your PM's are fine.

OK, nice one, thanks. As soon as I get it sorted and get signed in, I'll give you a buzz.

See you on there soon, hopefully.

Cheers.

Milo

Tidy. I'm currently taking my big freighter thing around trying to consolidate all my operations to a single location.

Oh, and I'm a Caldari if you wanted to start in the same general area. I've no idea if Caldaris are generally any good though, but I like their very utilitarian-looking ships.

Baxter

It does push you into one style of play, for example I play Gallente as I love the drones and they have the largest cargo capacity of any of the racial haulers. Caldari are more suited to group PvP and support roles along with being a lot easier to play through the PvE missions and has a distinct long-range advantage due to their ships tendency for missile support. Minmatar have a hard time initially a low skill levels but once they're trained up are the most capable generalists.

Still Not George

I fell off this over Xmas, haven't gone back on cos I can't get the client to work properly in WINE. Say byebye to any kind of normal life, huzzie - this thing's like crack but with spaceships.

Milo

I am really really getting into this again. I love the sense of freedom and the constant low-level fear. I had my Badger freight vessel moving some stuff back from Gallente space and had someone locking onto me and my heart nearly left my chest. I managed to jump through the stargate before he got to do anything unpleasant to me but it makes me think that pretty much no other games can do that to me.

Shaun

Quote from: Baxter on January 16, 2010, 10:48:03 PM
It does push you into one style of play, for example I play Gallente as I love the drones and they have the largest cargo capacity of any of the racial haulers. Caldari are more suited to group PvP and support roles along with being a lot easier to play through the PvE missions and has a distinct long-range advantage due to their ships tendency for missile support. Minmatar have a hard time initially a low skill levels but once they're trained up are the most capable generalists.
It's I don't think it's really true that Caldari have a long rang advantage when it comes to PvP unless things have changed a lot since I played, well, they have the Rokh now I suppose, but most Caldari players haven't trained up rails. Fleet combat relies on lots of ships hitting one BS at a time, and cruise missiles take far too long to get to a ship, they can just fly off before the missiles hit them since they'll be aligned and up to speed. They're pretty bad for solo PvP too since you have to use mid-slots for tanking. They are by far the best for PvE, but that's very dull anyway. Gallente were usually considered most overpowered around when I left, although nerfing NOS and dampers might have reduced their strength a bit. I haven't played for 18 months now and I sold my character, it's too hard a game to play casually.

Huzzie

Quote from: Still Not George on January 16, 2010, 11:20:26 PM
I fell off this over Xmas, haven't gone back on cos I can't get the client to work properly in WINE. Say byebye to any kind of normal life, huzzie - this thing's like crack but with spaceships.

Hmmm. I don't think you could have possibly made it any more appealing to me!

Just been having a go now, anyway. Pretty heavy going, isn't it but I reckon I can get into it. To be honest, I didn't get as far as the end of the training course. I stopped at the Corperations bit (I just couldn't be arsed dealing with real people at the moment).

Anyway, I'm a Minuteman or whatever they were called, calling myself Huzzie, of all things.

Oh, by the way, I'm playing it on the laptop touchpad but it'd probably be better if I plugged the mouse in, wouldn't it?

_Hypnotoad_

I keep meaning to give this fucking thing a go but never get past downloading and trying to run through the initial character config/training

I'll try again this week I think, it just feels like a chore getting going on something as elaborate as this

Milo

Quote from: Huzzie on January 17, 2010, 11:30:53 PM
Just been having a go now, anyway. Pretty heavy going, isn't it but I reckon I can get into it. To be honest, I didn't get as far as the end of the training course. I stopped at the Corperations bit (I just couldn't be arsed dealing with real people at the moment).

Is heavy going, but there always seems to at least be something you're capable of doing. I've ignored Corps too and fully intend to stay in the NPC Corp I started in forever.

Last night I was mostly buggering about in my Heron looking for Magnetometric signatures to warp to and salavage/analyze in. No luck at all, just wormholes, wormholes, wormholes. I did go into one, said 'hello' in the Local channel and then ran away again. Scanning things down is quite satisfying though, got to move probes around the solar system and try to triangulate the signals.

I also tried to be clever as I was in Gallente space by picking up a load of Gallente skill books to sell but they ended up selling for less in Caldari space than in Gallente. Supply and demand, I guess, but I thought the supply would have been way lower in Caldari.

One thing I really like though is virtually nothing other than Implants bind to you, unlike other games of this type. So even if you do spend a fortune on a ship and fitting to try something new, if you don't like it you can just sell it on for virtually whatever you paid for it.

Main aim for tonight is probably to try a bit more scanning in slightly lower security systems and if that fails I'll try just my mining cruiser out for a bit. Think I need to train my Social skills up a bit to get better missions too. So much to get done and only one thing you can train at a time. Ah well, I'll get there in the end.

Quote from: Huzzie on January 17, 2010, 11:30:53 PM
Anyway, I'm a Minuteman or whatever they were called, calling myself Huzzie, of all things.

Oh, I just looked up what Minuteman meant - you've joined the Militia? As far as I gather, that's not a great idea at the start as it means much higher skilled/geared people are allowed to shoot at you without Concord getting involved. At least, that's how I think it works.

Huzzie

I've not read your reply yet, Milo (will do as soon as I click "reply") but I just wanted to say...

I went to Game today and they told me I must get in touch with Atari, as the games are sent out as complete packages, so if there is anything missing it comes from their end.

Hmm. I'm a little concerned that they will give me the brush off. Anyone have any thoughts on what exactly I should say?

Cheers.

_Hypnotoad_

I doubt they will, not many people are going to go to that much trouble to rip them off of a trial token, and it's not worth it to them to piss off one of their customers.

Bit like ordering computer equipment that arrives broken, you could be lying saying it arrived like that, but they can't take the chance.

Huzzie

Quote from: Milo on January 18, 2010, 01:32:33 PM

Oh, I just looked up what Minuteman meant - you've joined the Militia? As far as I gather, that's not a great idea at the start as it means much higher skilled/geared people are allowed to shoot at you without Concord getting involved. At least, that's how I think it works.

Sorry. I'm a Minmatar.

Is that not good then? If you (or anyone) could let us know if I have made a mistake chosing that race and could recommend another, I'd appreciate it. I won't do anything else with it till I hear from someone about it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Bollocks! I thought this might happen! I didn't finish my training before logging off yesterday (as I said above), I left it before she started telling me about joining a Corps. Now I have come back on and the interfering old bag is nowhere to be seen!! Is there anyway I can get her back to complete my training? I clicked on the help slot but it doesn't seem to give a complete run through.

EDIT: Actually I think I've sorter this but I would like to know if I'm wasting my time playing as this particular race.

Milo

Ah, Minmatar - got confused as Minuteman is the lowest rank for people signed up to the Gallente militia for Factional Warfare.

As for whether Minmatar is a good choice or not I have no idea. Think they're all much of a muchness really as you can always train to fly any ships you want, so you aren't wasting your time by playing that race - all choosing a race seems to do is to give you a slight headstart in flying their particular ships.

Pretty certain it's down to Game to sort you out rather than Atari (for your missing GTC). Your complaint is with Game for selling you an incomplete product, you didn't deal with Atari. Was the package totally sealed when you received it or not?

VegaLA

I've seen this advertised and i'm quite tempted to give it a go as I never indulged in 'World of Warcraft' or 'That other one' so a space mmorpg may suit me. How is everyone getting on with it?