Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:01:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Techy Thread: Post your puter problems in here - Apps 'R' Us!

Started by Neil, January 22, 2010, 01:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Time for a new thread as the old one was massive.  Please keep it legal. 

Thank you to the people who provide the answers, a great service.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

*rubs hands together*

So, anyone got a crack for Fort Knox?

Baxter

No but I've got a whole drive full of windows licence keys.

An tSaoi

Lfbarfe

Quote from: An tSaoi on January 22, 2010, 02:23:56 AM
Argh I hate the word "'puter"!

I love it. Puter. Puter. Puter. Open the windows and shout it. You'll feel great. Stop moaning about stuff, turn off your puter, go to the window, shout 'puter' and feel the goodwill. 

Baxter

How do you feel about 'Putah'? or Pewter for that matter, you can't hate pewter!

It's got bismuth in it!

Lfbarfe

Also, pooter - that thing used on school field trips to pick up insects without harming them. Do you hate that too, An?

An tSaoi

Puter actually annoys me more than Apps, which annoys me very much.

Lfbarfe

Neil

That looks awesome, Baxter.  I might have bought that for my Mum when I was birthday shopping today, but instead she got a black crystal table lamp.  It was almost a big green and blue vase that was ALMOST as colourful as that, and a sparkly purple pillow. 

An tSaoi

Quote from: Neil's alteration of the thread title
App issues also dealt with

Haha, ya bastard.

Guy

Quote from: Baxter on January 22, 2010, 02:44:44 AM

Oof, what happened there? Looks like your Colecovision crashed while you were playing Q*Bert.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Guy on January 22, 2010, 11:24:54 AM
Oof, what happened there? Looks like your Colecovision crashed while you were playing Q*Bert.

Looks more like a killer app to me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Can anyone recommend a good freeware word processor program that supports .doc files?

I've got an 'interesting' version of Microsoft Word which has decided to be very 'interesting' at the moment.

rjd2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 22, 2010, 11:27:45 PM
Can anyone recommend a good freeware word processor program that supports .doc files?

I've got an 'interesting' version of Microsoft Word which has decided to be very 'interesting' at the moment.

Open Office?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Lfbarfe

I went over to OO from MS Office 2000 a few years ago. There were a couple of compatibility issues early on that made me keep Office on the machine as backup, but I uninstalled it a while back, and don't miss it at all. OpenOffice does everything I need. One of the reviews I saw said that the problems with OO weren't actually intrinsic problems, just the result of people being so used to MS Office and having to adjust slightly. It took me a while to grasp that Auto Sum works a slightly different way in OO Calc to how it does in Excel.

actwithoutwords

For fuck sake. I appear to have contracted a virus. I've only had my new computer for a few months, after 9 months of virus-ridden repeated drive-reformat hell with my old one.
Again, for some reason, iTunes won't fucking work. Why on earth has this happened again? There aren't many other symptoms other than some strange shut downs and I don't seem to be allowed to open Spybot. I'm running AVG, which isn't finding anything. Is it shit? Are there better free ones out there?

Dusty Gozongas

Are you completely sure it's a virus?  It wouldn't hurt to try an online scanner...

www.pandasecurity.com/activescan/

actwithoutwords

Running that now thanks. The initial reason I suspected a virus was because a week ago my computer was uploading and downloading tons of data one evening even when all programs were closed. Plus, I was without an antivirus for a while after my McAfee trial ended. I've been having various problems since then, culminating in something happening on Friday that means iTunes, Spybot, and it now seems a bunch of other programs, no longer will open. And the computer crashes any time I try to shut down, hibernate or stand by. (It's Windows 7 incidentally)
I'm going to try a system restore tomorrow, but other than that, not sure what to do.

Wilbur

Quote from: actwithoutwords on January 25, 2010, 01:05:21 AM
Running that now thanks. The initial reason I suspected a virus was because a week ago my computer was uploading and downloading tons of data one evening even when all programs were closed. Plus, I was without an antivirus for a while after my McAfee trial ended. I've been having various problems since then, culminating in something happening on Friday that means iTunes, Spybot, and it now seems a bunch of other programs, no longer will open. And the computer crashes any time I try to shut down, hibernate or stand by. (It's Windows 7 incidentally)
I'm going to try a system restore tomorrow, but other than that, not sure what to do.

Repeating myself here but malwarebytes.org

Baxter

Perhaps it would be an idea to put a short list like

Antivirus - Avg/Avast
Office Alternative - Open Office
Malware Removal - Malwarebytes
Media Player - VLC/KMPlayer
Codecs - CCCP

In the first post as they're such recurring suggestions?

Johnny Townmouse

I am currently looking for a Video/DVD combi or combo machine so that I can copy my VHS videos onto DVD. I also just basically need to get a video so that I can watch films that do not have a DVD release.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a Video/DVD machine? They seem to be massively expensive and I really did not want to spend over a hundred quid, but this may prove impossible.

Or indeed, does anyone have a different system for digitally capturing VHS?

Baxter

There are an array of video capture devices if you already have a VHS player, the crucial thing you're looking for is hardware encoding, without it you'll have to buffer the frames to the PC and your CPU will have to run the encoding which although cheaper is usually slower and can be choppy.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Baxter on January 25, 2010, 07:03:03 PM
There are an array of video capture devices if you already have a VHS player, the crucial thing you're looking for is hardware encoding, without it you'll have to buffer the frames to the PC and your CPU will have to run the encoding which although cheaper is usually slower and can be choppy.

I understood the word "array".

djtrees

I have got an old mp3 cd player, and am thinking of attempting to maybe get something new to play stuff on whilst I am walking about. Is there such a thing as a DVD mp3 player because if there is then that would be ace.

lipsink

Anyone know of a good CV template? I'm applying for jobs again and I don't know exactly what template is the 'offiicial' recognised one.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: lipsink on January 26, 2010, 08:30:06 AM
Anyone know of a good CV template? I'm applying for jobs again and I don't know exactly what template is the 'offiicial' recognised one.

Prospects  is specifically for graudates, but has a ton of stuff for job seekers. I usually check in here to see what the latest CV templates are.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/p!eLaXi

I hope that helps.

Uncle TechTip

Put all relevant information in bullet form on the front page, expand on further pages but no more than 3. rule off headings neatly and it should look fine, no need to adhere to a template.

Baxter

Keep in mind you're usually doing it to be seen by HR staff or at least someone who is going through a lot of CVs, make it easy  for them to get the information they need to select you.