Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Techy Thread: Post your puter problems in here - Apps 'R' Us!

Started by Neil, January 22, 2010, 01:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy

Wow, that looks magic! I just hope it's not excruciatingly tricky to use. Thanks Trevor!

AsparagusTrevor

Apparently it's pretty easy to use, and I've seen some good results from it too.

Anim8tor is another one you might want to look at, which, despite its name, is as much for 3D modelling as it is animation.

Guy

Ah cool. That looks more like what I had in mind to begin with. Nice to have Blender for more complicated stuff though. Can't thank you enough Trevor, cheers.

Ha, the install file for Anim8or is less than 1 meg, the PDF manual for it is bigger than that!

AsparagusTrevor

No worries, glad to be of help.

Looking at the Anim8tor site, there's some surprisingly great looking renders in their gallery, near professional quality some of them.

lipsink

I was wondering if anyone can help: My laptop doesn't (at least I think it doesn't) to have a Fire Wire input which my friend tells me I need so I can plug his video camera in to do some editing. Can you buy a Fire Wire input to put on it? My laptop is an Acer. Anyone know?

Wilbur

Quote from: lipsink on February 04, 2010, 09:12:27 AM
I was wondering if anyone can help: My laptop doesn't (at least I think it doesn't) to have a Fire Wire input which my friend tells me I need so I can plug his video camera in to do some editing. Can you buy a Fire Wire input to put on it? My laptop is an Acer. Anyone know?

If it has a PCMCIA slot you can but a PCMCIA firewire adapter.

lipsink

Quote from: Wilbur on February 04, 2010, 09:19:14 AM
If it has a PCMCIA slot you can but a PCMCIA firewire adapter.

It does indeed! Many thanks.

Johnny Townmouse

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to save a youtube video as an MP3?

I had some free software that did this, but limited me to only 10 downloads.

HappyTree

If you go to the video on Youtube and replace the y in the URL with a 3 (3outube) you can download the video as an MP4 or FLV. Then use a free converter to extract the audio to mp3. I use Magic Video Converter. Just click on "other" and choose MP3 from the drop-down list.

HappyTree

Every time I plug in my iPod for syncing Windows automatically detects that I've plugged in a photo device and pops up an annoying "What do you want to do with this?" box. I don't want to do anything but sync with iTunes. How do I tell Windows to stop asking me this?

Guy

I don't know if there's an easier way of doing it than this:

1) Right-click on the device and choose Properties.

2) Select the Autoplay tab.

3) Click 'Select an action to perform', then 'Take no action'. Click Apply.

4) Go to the pull-down menu where it should say 'Music files' or similar. Pick the next item down (probably 'Pictures' or 'Video files' or somesuch).

5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 for every item on the list.

6) Click OK.

7) Swear at Microsoft.

That's for XP, don't know about other versions.

HappyTree

That worked a treat, thanks. I'm on XP. All the later versions of Windows available at the moment seem needlessly complex and annoying.

Anybody here actually like Vista or Windows 7? What would I gain by upgrading?

Pseudopath

Quote from: HappyTree on February 04, 2010, 05:20:14 PM
Anybody here actually like Vista or Windows 7? What would I gain by upgrading?

The best way of describing Windows 7 is that it's quick like XP, but shiny like Vista (although if you never used Vista, that's probably a crap analogy). However, if you've got no burning urge to upgrade to Windows 7, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bear in mind that Microsoft will stop releasing security updates for XP in April 2014, so if you haven't upgraded by then (which you most likely will have done if you buy a new computer), you'll be at the mercy of script kiddies the world over.

graaasp!

Good day,

I am at a loss with pc system requirements for gaming. I expect to pay £600 or £700 for a fairly run of the mill laptop, just enough to run something like Mirrors Edge (as an example), but my problem remains with the Ghz. The laptops in my price range smash the gaming requirements, yet they're only 1.4 or 1.6 and Mirrors Edge is 2.4 (recommending 3.0).

Here's an example of a good gaming system with low Ghz: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5940G_Laptop_LX.PFQ02.088/version.asp

Can I run games with that spec?

Uncle TechTip

Groo, "games" and "laptops" are a combination which often disturbs me. The video chipset looks ok for that game on that laptop, however since the CPU is actually a different type it's hard to tell. It SHOULD be ok as the CPU is quad-core. Most likely the requirements are based on dual-core. However note the screen res on the laptop, 768 height is not very good these days. The supplied hard disk is slow at 5400rpm.

One thousand pounds is fucking expensive for a computer. Just for info, I recently built a new gaming PC for myself, with an Nvidia 9600GT video card, 4gb of RAM, an Intel 5300 CPU (2-core at 2.6GHz), 1TB HD and a lovely widescreen 1600x1050 display (GTAIV is delicious on it, the best PC gaming experience ever). That all came in at under 600 pounds. So only go for it if you're happy to pay a 400 quid premium for the ability to carry it around.

Although to answer your question, yes you could probably run games on that spec. Though you could do better with a bit of compromise.

Wilbur

Quote from: graaasp! on February 05, 2010, 01:53:36 PM
Good day,

I am at a loss with pc system requirements for gaming. I expect to pay £600 or £700 for a fairly run of the mill laptop, just enough to run something like Mirrors Edge (as an example), but my problem remains with the Ghz. The laptops in my price range smash the gaming requirements, yet they're only 1.4 or 1.6 and Mirrors Edge is 2.4 (recommending 3.0).

Here's an example of a good gaming system with low Ghz: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5940G_Laptop_LX.PFQ02.088/version.asp

Can I run games with that spec?

Can I also suggest you do a Google for "Acer cracked screen" before buying an Acer ?

lipsink

Quote from: Wilbur on February 04, 2010, 09:50:10 AM
Linky if it helps

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/58971

Hi, I ordered that item but it doesn't seem to go in the full way. Should I have ordered a shorter one?

Wilbur

Quote from: lipsink on February 05, 2010, 09:10:29 PM
Hi, I ordered that item but it doesn't seem to go in the full way. Should I have ordered a shorter one?

You are probably not inserting it correctly (Fnarr). PCMCIA isa standard so should fit. It may need a bit pf pressure.

lipsink

Quote from: Wilbur on February 05, 2010, 10:09:00 PM
You are probably not inserting it correctly (Fnarr). PCMCIA isa standard so should fit. It may need a bit pf pressure.

Nah, I've really tried but it's just not going in. Perhaps I've got the slot confused for a PCMCIA slot but it seems to fit widthwise but just not in length.

Is this one not shorter?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/60615

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5735Z. Do you know if this has a PCMCIA slot or have I got that slot mixed up for something else?

Wilbur

Quote from: lipsink on February 05, 2010, 10:17:42 PM
Nah, I've really tried but it's just not going in. Perhaps I've got the slot confused for a PCMCIA slot but it seems to fit widthwise but just not in length.

Is this one not shorter?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/60615

Give me the model and serial number and I'll check out the spec. Sorry I should have done that before.

lipsink

Quote from: Wilbur on February 05, 2010, 10:36:16 PM
Give me the model and serial number and I'll check out the spec. Sorry I should have done that before.

Thanks. It's an Acer Aspire 5735Z. The serial number is: LXATL0Y008851229A72000

Wilbur

Quote from: lipsink on February 05, 2010, 10:40:56 PM
Thanks. It's an Acer Aspire 5735Z. The serial number is: LXATL0Y008851229A72000

Damn http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5735Z_Laptop_LX.AU50Y.004/version.asp

Does not appear to have pcmcia so I have advised you badly. Although I have no idea what slot  you are trying to put that into. You should  able to get a USB to firewire adapter although I have not looked at that.

lipsink

No worries. Cheers for your help anyway. I'll try to get a USB Fire Wire Adapter. You don't happen to know where I can get one of those do you? I've just done a wee check on Google and apparently they're rare and expensive.

Wilbur

Quote from: lipsink on February 05, 2010, 11:00:00 PM
No worries. Cheers for your help anyway. I'll try to get a USB Fire Wire Adapter. You don't happen to know where I can get one of those do you? I've just done a wee check on Google and apparently they're rare and expensive.

PM me in the morning and I'll have a look.

HappyTree

This looks like it might be what you're looking for. The description says:

QuoteThe USB 2.0 / FireWire Universal Hub offers a complete high speed connectivity solution at a fraction of the cost of other separate USB 2.0 and FireWire Universal Hubs. It brings USB 2.0 and FireWire connectivity to your notebook or desktop computer. You'll enjoy the convenience and reliability that has made USB and FireWire industry standards when it comes to connecting multiple high-tech peripheral devices. USB 2.0 and FireWire provide high bandwidth, thus broadening the range of peripherals that may be attached to your computer. Note: This item comes with a US style 100-240VAC, DC 5V 2.6 switching power adapter.

It doesn't seem to specify exactly where it plugs into a laptop. But the bolded part does on the face of it seem to say that it is what you need. Unfortunately there are no customer reviews that might have told you if it can plug into a USB socket on a laptop.

lipsink

Thanks. That looks like it might be it, yeah. Or is it sort of an extension for USB/Fire Wire rather than a 'converter'?

HappyTree

I'm afraid I don't know enough about it. I bet that other guy will be back in the morning to give a better answer.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Wilbur on February 05, 2010, 04:28:44 PM
Can I also suggest you do a Google for "Acer cracked screen" before buying an Acer ?

Shite and onions. I don't have an Acer (hang on, I do - but it's an old Travelmate that I keep for emergencies), but just Googled out of curiosity. What's going on there, then? There are too many happening for it to be an unfortunate coincidence.