Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:23:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming: First-person vs Third-person [split topic]

Started by Nik Drou, January 22, 2010, 03:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: NoSleep on January 28, 2010, 01:38:14 AM
Recently, I've realised that the field of view in Quake III & Urban Terror is best viewed with your monitor right up in your face as it does provide peripheral vision if you check the perspective toward the edge of the screen.

It's not a good idea for your eyesight to get to close to your monitor for too long.

NoSleep

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on January 28, 2010, 02:39:03 PM
It's not a good idea for your eyesight to get to close to your monitor for too long.

It's not a good idea to do any close work for too long, whatever it is. Your eyes need to be exercised by varying the point of focus: I find a nice walk does this nicely. Or looking out of the window a bit.
Even having the monitor a further distance is harmful if you focus on it for too long, as variety is the most healthy option.

HappyTree

When I was back in the family home for a while a few years ago the only thing there was to do was be on the net. 800x600 monitor, up close, several hours a day for about 4 years. It knackered my eyesight, which I noticed one day when I went to the train station and couldn't read the big departure board. When I moved out and stopped staring at a screen so closely for so long my eyesight luckily went back to perfect. I was really worried about that for a while, hence why now I use a large TV as a monitor and sit across the room from it. And limit my net use. I genuinely thought my sight was gone for a while, very unpleasant.

AsparagusTrevor

I get like that at work. I rarely take a dinner break because we're just too busy a lot of the time, so I spend 8-10 hours looking at a screen, takes my eyes a while to adjust after that.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 28, 2010, 12:40:34 PM
One game that did have a really awful camera was Metal Gear Solid 3. Perhaps more than any other genre, the stealth 'em up absolutely relies on awareness of the surroundings, and yet you spent half your time in this limited to seeing about five feet in any direction.
Good god yeah, I never came close to finishing MGS3 simply because I couldn't get to grips with the stupid camera. I loved MGS 1 and 2 too.

Baxter

Quote from: HappyTree on January 28, 2010, 05:53:28 PMI noticed one day when I went to the train station and couldn't read the big departure board.

I get similar if I use a netbook for too much reading, but I really don't see why you'd need to see the departure board in the first place.

HappyTree

Eh? To see what train to get. How else would one know what platform to go to?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

NoSleep

falafel

HappyTree

Tsk! I should just use my "minde paowerz" (c) Uri Geller 1982

HappyTree

Ahhh. I didn't see that one at all :-D Inter-thread sarcasm was never my thing, I'm too compartmentalised. Or maybe just mental.