Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Connect (BBC4)

Started by ozziechef, January 26, 2010, 07:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Who are Walen-Cohen and  McGaughy?

Ambient Sheep

The two main question editors.  For some reason VCM and/or Shaun Pye think it's funny to invent weird fictional lives for them.

I had a quick look to see if anybody has compiled a list of "got it in ones".  I couldn't quickly find one, but on reading the show's Wikipedia page I was reminded that in fact *I* once got it from the first clue, and in Round 1 no less:

A hammer and a feather

So it's most definitely possible.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm not sure I didn't get the George H. W. Bush one as well... but certainly haven't managed anything like that recently.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Cerys on November 26, 2019, 07:47:38 PMShe's a teenager next week.  I quake.

Very fitting, given that from the sounds of it we're all going to meet our Doom from her anyway...

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 26, 2019, 07:24:18 PM
Who else shouted "Chick chick chicken" at the end of this week's episode?

Yup.

Did the George H W Bush thing really happen? It seems unlikely, as by the time the third clue had been revealed it would be the easiest question on the show ever by about ten million miles.

Quote from: Cuellar on November 26, 2019, 07:18:36 PM
What's the fourth in this sequence:
Victoria, Get, In...
?

The back of my van?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 26, 2019, 08:51:48 PMDid the George H W Bush thing really happen? It seems unlikely, as by the time the third clue had been revealed it would be the easiest question on the show ever by about ten million miles.

I'm not 100% sure but there was definitely a fairly easy sequence of US presidents that even I guessed.  Bear in mind this was probably back in series 2 when I started watching, or shortly afterwards.

These days I'm largely shit at the first two rounds; I'm sure it's got harder since the early series.

Norton Canes

Had the odd 'in one', the only one that springs to mind is 'Skiddaw' (round 2)

Norton Canes

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 26, 2019, 07:24:18 PM
Who else shouted "Chick chick chicken" at the end of this week's episode?

No, it was clearly 'Chaka Khan...'. I wondered, with the tie-breaker, what would have happened if someone had given the answer 'RESISTANCE IS FATAL'?

(Or even 'FOETAL')

Ambient Sheep

Did a bit more searching, having recalled that there's a guy who blogs each episode (only more recent ones though), and found these examples, all from round 1, funnily enough:

http://jacksonlinewritings.blogspot.com/2016/08/only-connect-series-12-group-play-off-2.html
QuoteThe Verbivores opened their account with Horned Viper: now, they saw 'That Great Charmer (1979)', recognised it to be an anagram of Margaret Thatcher, and instantly offered anagrams of prime ministers for FIVE POINTS! Very well done there! (Also, the old joke about 'Tony Blair MP' being an anagram of 'I'm Tory Plan B'!)

http://jacksonlinewritings.blogspot.com/2017/03/only-connect-series-12-play-off-quarter_23.html
QuoteLeft with Horned Viper, the Verbivores saw 'Flying Balloon Girl: West Bank', and this was enough for Mr Cappleman to spot, and them to offer, 'Banksy artworks' for FIVE POINTS! Well spotted sir!

http://jacksonlinewritings.blogspot.com/2017/09/only-connect-series-13-round-1-group_10.html
QuoteThe Inquisitors went first, and kicked the match off with Lion: they saw 'Cat Flap: head', and after a bit of discussion, buzzed and offered 'spoonerisms'. Correct for FIVE POINTS! Excellent work! (The other clues were 'Marking Peter: street', 'Flock of Bats: residential area' and 'Belly Jeans: sweet shop')

http://jacksonlinewritings.blogspot.com/2018/04/only-connect-series-13-semi-final-1.html
QuoteThe Belgophiles kicked the show off with Eye of Horus: they saw 'J.K. Galbraith', and immediately offered 'a female author's first name and their male pen surname', which was correct for FIVE POINTS! Great stuff that!

Plus one from round 2:

http://jacksonlinewritings.blogspot.com/2017/02/only-connect-series-12-elimination.html?m=1
QuoteThe Verbivores chose Two Reeds next: we saw an M on its side and a 13, didn't fall into the trap of thinking it was a sigma, and picked up FIVE points for offering 'sideways P 16'! Excellent shout!

Finally, looks like someone might have once read the first page of this thread :-)
http://jacksonlinewritings.blogspot.com/2016/12/only-connect-does-missing-vowels-carry.html
QuoteNow, when it comes to online discussion of Only Connect by non-quizzers, there are various things people discuss on Digital Spy, Twitter and other sites. One is how good Victoria is looking that week. The others range from pedantic complaints about questions to actually interesting discussion about questions.

But there is one issue that is quite often tossed up that is definitely worth discussing: does the Missing Vowels round carry too much weight?

If so, I hope he doesn't mind me copying these little extracts.

Sadly the early series don't appear to be easily available to watch online, so I can't flip through and check the GHWB thing.  Maybe one day.

Ambient Sheep

Just got back to the ranch (I was out earlier), and it turns out that S1 to S4 are available on Virgin on-demand, courtesy of something called IQTV, which seems to be an online-only channel that I'd never heard of:

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018/07/19/on-demand-quiz-channel-iqtv-to-launch-on-virgin/

So I might flick through and/or (re-)watch some early ones over the next few days/weeks just to see what I can find... might take a while though!

JesusAndYourBush

machotrouts

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 26, 2019, 10:06:01 PM
Did a bit more searching, having recalled that there's a guy who blogs each episode (only more recent ones though), and found these examples, all from round 1, funnily enough:

Some of these are stunningly easy for 5 points! "J.K. Galbraith"!? Come on.

The massive disparity in 5-point difficulty gets on my wick sometimes. Some are so obviously impossible to get for 5 that, if you did guess them, you would probably be booted off for cheating, while others don't seem to meaningfully change in difficulty at all. I think there was a sequence that started with the word "Endangered". And obviously the last was "Extinct". You don't need to see "Critically Endangered" and "Extinct in the Wild" to get that, do you? The team pissed away an easy 5 looking at the other clues anyway. Also, can't find any reference to this online and I feel like I must be misremembering, but I could swear there was once a sequence that began with "401 Unauthorized"? I mean, if that isn't enough to go on...

Last episode I watched (a few weeks ago, I've fallen behind), I got two playing-along-at-home 5-pointers: a connection that began with "London 1969", and a sequence that began with "Harry Hill". Think it was an episode or two before that I correctly guessed a 5-point sequence from just the word "Day". Future CaB team captain machotrouts

touchingcloth

Was J K Galbraith the answer or the question?

Norton Canes

Quote from: machotrouts on November 27, 2019, 05:45:01 AM
I must be misremembering, but I could swear there was once a sequence that began with "401 Unauthorized"? I mean, if that isn't enough to go on..

You might want to wait for clue two to make sure the answer isn't '101 Switching Protocols'

machotrouts

Quote from: machotrouts on November 27, 2019, 05:45:01 AMLast episode I watched (a few weeks ago, I've fallen behind), I got two playing-along-at-home 5-pointers: a connection that began with "London 1969", and a sequence that began with "Harry Hill".

Oh I just remembered, I think on the same episode or thereabouts, I got another 5-point connection from "FedEx (east)". I was impressed with myself for getting the other two but that's another piss-easy one. I come up with my own connections and sequences and inflict them on other people as a hobby, and I don't think that would pass my not-particularly-rigorous standards. To clarify, "piss-easy" means "very easy" (I find pissing easy).

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 27, 2019, 01:45:48 AM
Things that have been taken to the moon?

Very close.  I wonder if she would have accepted that as an answer, especially since five points was hanging on it.  You can click through the link in my post to see the other clues and the actual answer (or just go to Wiki's OC page yourself!).

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: machotrouts on November 27, 2019, 05:45:01 AMSome of these are stunningly easy for 5 points! "J.K. Galbraith"!? Come on.

The massive disparity in 5-point difficulty gets on my wick sometimes. Some are so obviously impossible to get for 5 that, if you did guess them, you would probably be booted off for cheating, while others don't seem to meaningfully change in difficulty at all.

Agreed.  There's also the ones where you could guess a valid sequence from the first one, or even the first two, just not the RIGHT sequence.  I remember being particularly outraged in an early series when a team came up with (IMHO) a better sequence from the first two clues than the official one, and had it disallowed.  I noticed that in a recent series I caught, they DID allow such a thing (even if I thought it was fairly tenuous on that occasion), so clearly that policy has changed.

Quote from: machotrouts on November 27, 2019, 05:45:01 AMI think there was a sequence that started with the word "Endangered". And obviously the last was "Extinct". You don't need to see "Critically Endangered" and "Extinct in the Wild" to get that, do you? The team pissed away an easy 5 looking at the other clues anyway.

Hah, I remember that!  Although looking at the official list, it could have equally been "Least Concern", so I don't blame them for asking for at least one more, but they certainly should have got three points!

Quote from: machotrouts on November 27, 2019, 05:45:01 AMAlso, can't find any reference to this online and I feel like I must be misremembering, but I could swear there was once a sequence that began with "401 Unauthorized"? I mean, if that isn't enough to go on...

Hah yes, no you're not misremembering, I remember that one too, I was screaming at the telly!

Quote from: machotrouts on November 27, 2019, 05:45:01 AMLast episode I watched (a few weeks ago, I've fallen behind), I got two playing-along-at-home 5-pointers: a connection that began with "London 1969", and a sequence that began with "Harry Hill". Think it was an episode or two before that I correctly guessed a 5-point sequence from just the word "Day". Future CaB team captain machotrouts

Well, you're ahead of me on all three of those.  The only one I have any clue about is the first one, but the more I think about it the wronger I feel.

Quote from: machotrouts on November 27, 2019, 04:28:15 PMOh I just remembered, I think on the same episode or thereabouts, I got another 5-point connection from "FedEx (east)". I was impressed with myself for getting the other two but that's another piss-easy one.

Oh yeah it is, even I can see where that's going (no pun intended), although I'd have to ask for the second clue in order to confirm which way round the sequence they're proceeding.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 27, 2019, 06:15:31 AM
Was J K Galbraith the answer or the question?

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 26, 2019, 10:06:01 PMhttp://jacksonlinewritings.blogspot.com/2018/04/only-connect-series-13-semi-final-1.html
QuoteThe Belgophiles kicked the show off with Eye of Horus: they saw 'J.K. Galbraith', and immediately offered 'a female author's first name and their male pen surname', which was correct for FIVE POINTS! Great stuff that!

EOLAN

If we can boast about 5 pointers we got from the off. The one I best remember (maybe cos' it could be the only one) was in guessing the last in the sequency.
They showed the word Major with a graphic of a football outfit of blue shirt and shorts underneath.

Obviously the last in the sequence would be Cameron with a Claret and Blue jersey and shorts; cos as everyone knows David Cameron was a big fan of West Ham United    Scunthorpe   Gateshead  Aston Villa.

Was pretty certain Thatcher never declared her football team so wouldn't be working the sequence backwards.

Ambient Sheep

Heh I remember that one but didn't get it.  Figured out what it was after the second clue but didn't know Cameron's football team, still less their colours...

Jasha

If this takes you longer than 60 seconds you should be ashamed

https://puzzgrid.com/grid.php?id=23540

BlodwynPig

1 point, you didnt allow doctor as an answer

bgmnts

1 point also.

It's just what am I thinking of innit?

Ambient Sheep

Took me around 8 minutes (restarting with a stopwatch app running) to get two points: the Harry Hill group (but not the description for the same reason as Blodwyn) and the group with "Ham" in it, which I wrongly guessed as "sandwiches" (seemed lame at the time, but it was the best I could do and doesn't seem much worse than the actual answer).

Also, I'm pretty sure it's "international finance arse" not "currency arse".

Don't understand 50% of the last group ("Honey", etc.) and quite frankly have little interest in Googling to find out why.

I'm not ashamed in the slightest.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 27, 2019, 04:53:59 PM

I get the link between the initials and the pseudonymous surname, but would just saying "a female author's initials and her male pen name's surname" get five points? Don't you have to name what would be fifth in the sequence rather than just something about the first clue? Unless they all followed that format and they could've had "M.A. Eliot" for George Eliot.

Oh. That is what it was, wasn't it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: EOLAN on November 27, 2019, 05:23:30 PM
If we can boast about 5 pointers we got from the off. The one I best remember (maybe cos' it could be the only one) was in guessing the last in the sequency.
They showed the word Major with a graphic of a football outfit of blue shirt and shorts underneath.

Obviously the last in the sequence would be Cameron with a Claret and Blue jersey and shorts; cos as everyone knows David Cameron was a big fan of West Ham United    Scunthorpe   Gateshead  Aston Villa.

Was pretty certain Thatcher never declared her football team so wouldn't be working the sequence backwards.

This is the kind of thing that has been done so often now that seeing a block of colour almost always suggests some kind of sports link to me. I remember something like a block of colour with a number on it, the link being the kit colour and shirt number of the player to score the first goal in each of the five most recent World Cups. Impressive getting that even with all five clues up, but getting that in a oner would be staggering.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 27, 2019, 07:36:27 PMI get the link between the initials and the pseudonymous surname, but would just saying "a female author's initials and her male pen name's surname" get five points?

Yes it would.  Sorry to be a dick, 'cos I know my posts bore some lots of people, but:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 26, 2019, 10:06:01 PM...found these examples, all from round 1, funnily enough...

In Round 1 you only have to name the connection.  Round 2 is the one where you have to name the last in the sequence.

I can understand your confusion, though: if you skipped my original post (which it seems you did), then the first time you saw "J.K. Galbraith" was in the post by machotrouts which then went on to give examples from various Round 2s.

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 27, 2019, 07:36:27 PMDon't you have to name what would be fifth in the sequence rather than just something about the first clue?
Quote from: touchingcloth on November 27, 2019, 07:39:22 PMImpressive getting that even with all five clues up, but getting that in a oner would be staggering.

Sadly I don't think you're having a very good day... I've had days like that too. :-/

touchingcloth

^ no need to apologise for being a dick, dick.

I don't think I've watched enough OC to realise that there's a round 1/2 difference! In my mind there were three stages - name the 5th thing, the wall, missing vowels - so that's what the confusion was. I thought the blogger writing about Galbraith was being a bit cryptic and cagy about what the team had actually said. I didn't skip your post, just failed to understand it.

Gurke and Hare

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 27, 2019, 09:08:55 PMI don't think I've watched enough OC to realise that there's a round 1/2 difference!

Well that would explain a lot. :-)

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 27, 2019, 09:08:55 PMname the 5th thing

Is somebody else gonna tell him, or shall I?