Author Topic: Only Connect (BBC4)  (Read 12335 times)

Re: Only Connect (BBC4)
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2019, 12:28:57 AM »
Pretty sure I've seen someone get it from the first clue. Can't remember when or who or what it was though. Thanks.

I think D-day markings got the correct answer mentioned but they didn't have the stones to stick with it.

touchingcloth

• She is hot in the arse.
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2019, 12:30:12 AM »
I say fifth, you say forth. Let’s call the whole thing a draw.

machotrouts

• Twitter
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
I don’t think I’ve watched enough OC to realise that there’s a round 1/2 difference!

I think this is actually a bit of a flaw with the show – the difference between the first 2 rounds isn't obvious if you find yourself tuning out Victoria. Even the contestants frequently get confused. It's always bothered me that there isn't a clearer graphical distinction – something as simple as having the "?" square at the end of a sequence appear from clue #1 rather than suddenly popping up at clue #3 would help a lot. That's how I did it in my PowerPoint version anyway, and that is the definitive version.

Agreed.  There's also the ones where you could guess a valid sequence from the first one, or even the first two, just not the RIGHT sequence.

From making my own, I can vouch that it's not viable to always, or even usually, avoid valid alternative sequences that can stem from the opening clue (even in the ones I'd call "easy", there's usually technically another possibility, but you just have to think which way is most intuitive for the question-writer to take it – for instance, a sequence that includes a "4" is more likely to end in an answer with "1" than "7"). As a personal rule, though I assume the show tries to do the same thing, I try to make sure we're locked in to the only sequence it could plausibly be by clue #2 – irrespective of difficulty, it should never be the case that a perfectly knowledgeable contestant would still be forced to gamble for 3 points.

Oh yeah it is, even I can see where that's going (no pun intended), although I'd have to ask for the second clue in order to confirm which way round the sequence they're proceeding.

Connection, not sequence – they weren't cycling through cardinal directions. I think one was "Amazon (A to Z)", for instance.

Well, you're ahead of me on all three of those.  The only one I have any clue about is the first one, but the more I think about it the wronger I feel.

Okay, for 3 points...

CONNECTION:
- London 1969
- San Andreas
-
-

SEQUENCE 1:
- Harry Hill
- Jonathan Wilkes
-
- ?

SEQUENCE 2:
- Day
- Sissons
-
- ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:57:49 PM by machotrouts »

« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
Like the idea of Only Connect, can't bear VCM - be good if the questions were asked by an robot or contraption of some sort.

You can watch most of Only Connect with the volume turned off. It makes it harder to check the answers in some of the rounds, and the music question is a bit trickier, but use your imagination.

Norton Canes

• Watching the Wednesday wheel
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »
It's a scramble for the mute button whenever she makes the contestants sing.

« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2019, 11:53:39 AM »

Okay, for 3 points...

CONNECTION:
- London 1969
- San Andreas
-
-

SEQUENCE 1:
- Harry Hill
- Jonathan Wilkes
-
- ?

SEQUENCE 2:
- Day
- Sissons
-
- ?

Grand Theft Auto

Jeremy Beadle (you've been framed)

Fiona Bruce (question time)

« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
Grand Theft Auto

Jeremy Beadle (you've been framed)

Fiona Bruce (question time)

Was going with Beadle from the Harry Hill clue. The only sequence I could imagine him being part of. Only the three pointer for Bruce for me.
PS: You would at best get a disparaging look; at worst no points if you gave Fiona Bruce as the answer for Q3; rather than Bruce.