Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:53:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Connect (BBC4)

Started by ozziechef, January 26, 2010, 07:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Cuellar on November 26, 2019, 07:15:29 PM
Pretty sure I've seen someone get it from the first clue. Can't remember when or who or what it was though. Thanks.

I think D-day markings got the correct answer mentioned but they didn't have the stones to stick with it.

touchingcloth

I say fifth, you say forth. Let's call the whole thing a draw.

machotrouts

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 27, 2019, 09:08:55 PMI don't think I've watched enough OC to realise that there's a round 1/2 difference!

I think this is actually a bit of a flaw with the show – the difference between the first 2 rounds isn't obvious if you find yourself tuning out Victoria. Even the contestants frequently get confused. It's always bothered me that there isn't a clearer graphical distinction – something as simple as having the "?" square at the end of a sequence appear from clue #1 rather than suddenly popping up at clue #3 would help a lot. That's how I did it in my PowerPoint version anyway, and that is the definitive version.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 27, 2019, 04:52:01 PM
Agreed.  There's also the ones where you could guess a valid sequence from the first one, or even the first two, just not the RIGHT sequence.

From making my own, I can vouch that it's not viable to always, or even usually, avoid valid alternative sequences that can stem from the opening clue (even in the ones I'd call "easy", there's usually technically another possibility, but you just have to think which way is most intuitive for the question-writer to take it – for instance, a sequence that includes a "4" is more likely to end in an answer with "1" than "7"). As a personal rule, though I assume the show tries to do the same thing, I try to make sure we're locked in to the only sequence it could plausibly be by clue #2 – irrespective of difficulty, it should never be the case that a perfectly knowledgeable contestant would still be forced to gamble for 3 points.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 27, 2019, 04:52:01 PM
Oh yeah it is, even I can see where that's going (no pun intended), although I'd have to ask for the second clue in order to confirm which way round the sequence they're proceeding.

Connection, not sequence – they weren't cycling through cardinal directions. I think one was "Amazon (A to Z)", for instance.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 27, 2019, 04:52:01 PMWell, you're ahead of me on all three of those.  The only one I have any clue about is the first one, but the more I think about it the wronger I feel.

Okay, for 3 points...

CONNECTION:
- London 1969
- San Andreas
-
-

SEQUENCE 1:
- Harry Hill
- Jonathan Wilkes
-
- ?

SEQUENCE 2:
- Day
- Sissons
-
- ?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Cuellar on November 26, 2019, 01:04:52 PM
Like the idea of Only Connect, can't bear VCM - be good if the questions were asked by an robot or contraption of some sort.

You can watch most of Only Connect with the volume turned off. It makes it harder to check the answers in some of the rounds, and the music question is a bit trickier, but use your imagination.

Norton Canes

It's a scramble for the mute button whenever she makes the contestants sing.

Jasha

Quote from: machotrouts on November 28, 2019, 10:10:03 AM

Okay, for 3 points...

CONNECTION:
- London 1969
- San Andreas
-
-

SEQUENCE 1:
- Harry Hill
- Jonathan Wilkes
-
- ?

SEQUENCE 2:
- Day
- Sissons
-
- ?

Grand Theft Auto

Jeremy Beadle (you've been framed)

Fiona Bruce (question time)

EOLAN

Quote from: Jasha on November 28, 2019, 11:53:39 AM
Grand Theft Auto

Jeremy Beadle (you've been framed)

Fiona Bruce (question time)

Was going with Beadle from the Harry Hill clue. The only sequence I could imagine him being part of. Only the three pointer for Bruce for me.
PS: You would at best get a disparaging look; at worst no points if you gave Fiona Bruce as the answer for Q3; rather than Bruce.

Norton Canes

OK here's one I thought of last night

It's a 'round 1' so what the connection?

1. Lance Stater

Not that hard bet someone gets it before I have to reveal no.2

beanheadmcginty

Norton Canes

1. Lance Stater
2. Tommy Saxondale 

beanheadmcginty

Norton Canes

Ding!

1. Lance Stater
2. Tommy Saxondale
3. The Doctor
4. Noddy

(actually, did they use this one in the show..?)

Been watching some on iPlayer and there was an odd question.

Find the connection: St Paul, Macho Man Randy Savage, the T800 and Donkey Kong.

Apparently they all changed from evil to good, villain to hero. I'm no expert, but if Randy Savage was a baddy wrestler at the start of his career, not many people know that. I didn't and it's not really something anyone associates him with. Also those two Terminators were different characters. Unsurprisingly, nobody got it right. All because somebody thought Macho Man Randy Savage famously fits that description.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

From a few weeks ago, the " what's the 4th one  matey? " round, I'm trusting every CABber watching guessed it ( giving exactly the example given, as I did) on the second 'un;

8 King Kong
7 Carol Cleveland
( The third example made the answer really obvious, although the team  whose question it was didn't get it.)

Andy147

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 10, 2020, 10:53:06 PM
Apparently they all changed from evil to good, villain to hero. I'm no expert, but if Randy Savage was a baddy wrestler at the start of his career, not many people know that. I didn't and it's not really something anyone associates him with. Also those two Terminators were different characters. Unsurprisingly, nobody got it right. All because somebody thought Macho Man Randy Savage famously fits that description.

TV Tropes describes his "Heel-Face Turn" in 1987 as "Legendary".
Though apparently (I know nothing about WWE, I'm just going by said TV Tropes page) he had more than one turn, so probably not a great example for the question.

Norton Canes

Also led to a lively discussion with my daughter as to whether something that happens in a succession of video games can really be considered 'character development'.

Consignia

Also, the Donkey Kong with the tie, who is the star of Donkey Kong Country and thus the protagonist, is not the same Donkey Kong that starred in eponymous arcade classic as the antagonist. He's his granson.

Quote from: Andy147 on January 11, 2020, 05:07:19 PM
probably not a great example for the question.

The Rock, Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold Steve Austin were all villains before turning into good guys. And they all turned evil again. Pretty sure every wrestler ever flipped and flopped.

EOLAN

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 11, 2020, 09:18:11 AM
From a few weeks ago, the " what's the 4th one  matey? " round, I'm trusting every CABber watching guessed it ( giving exactly the example given, as I did) on the second 'un;

8 King Kong
7 Carol Cleveland
( The third example made the answer really obvious, although the team  whose question it was didn't get it.)

A lot of media outlets are ruining that question over last week. Would go for the answer that retains alliteration as well.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh yes, why's what's that then?

EOLAN

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 12, 2020, 12:36:53 PM
Oh yes, why's what's that then?

As for why question is being ruined. A certain recently deceased and much loved celebrity taking over the position of 7 Carol Cleveland.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Fucking sick of seeing the Forrests now. Every time they're on it looks like the couple have had a massive row moments before recording.

Cheesewogg

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 12, 2019, 12:35:51 PM
Ding!

1. Lance Stater
2. Tommy Saxondale
3. The Doctor
4. Noddy

(actually, did they use this one in the show..?)

5. Mornington Crescent - that's just what 'Only Connect' is, no?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 11, 2020, 09:18:11 AM

8 King Kong
7 Carol Cleveland

I've seen what the third example was from a google (
Spoiler alert
extrasensory perception
[close]
), but even with EOLAN's additional third clue I'm at a loss. What were it?

mjwilson

Spoiler alert
Stuart Sutcliffe, for example, as suggested above, as the fifth Beatle, following eighth wonder of the world, seventh Python, sixth sense.
[close]

Gurke and Hare

Made another wall, because it was either that or do the work they pay me to do all afternoon.

https://www.puzzgrid.com/grid.php?id=28864

Also, there are some missing vowels quizzes.

https://onlyconnect.tv/

EOLAN

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 16, 2020, 04:06:11 PM
Made another wall, because it was either that or do the work they pay me to do all afternoon.

Also, there are some missing vowels quizzes.

https://onlyconnect.tv/

The two I got connected I didn't guess the right answer to (would probably have been prompted for one of them on the show). Got the answer to the other two. Good Quiz

machotrouts

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 16, 2020, 04:06:11 PM

Solved the wall but only got 2 connections (
Spoiler alert
NATO, beans
[close]
). Indignant that it didn't accept "
Spoiler alert
places in south america
[close]
" but fair cop on the
Spoiler alert
fucking bastard cats
[close]

machotrouts

I've made some walls of my own, but they're all analogue. I cut up paper into 16 squares and make people (usually my parents) shuffle them about. No time limit, indefinite suffering.

Can't really do that over a forum so here's my first "Puzzgrid".