Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:06:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Connect (BBC4)

Started by ozziechef, January 26, 2010, 07:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Gurke and Hare

I think there's a slim outside chance some of that might be a touch obscure for the wider public.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 21, 2019, 12:52:24 PM
I think there's a slim outside chance some of that might be a touch obscure for the wider public.

Joke's on you. there is a little box at the end before submitting saying 'will this quiz appeal to the wider public: yes, no (it doesn't matter)'

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 20, 2019, 10:23:20 PM
I saw it for the first time in a year or more yesterday and her jokey surrealism has jumped the shark big time. Awful

I could live a thousand lives and never give a tinker's cuss on the antics of Mr Waley-Cohen and Mr McGaughey.

Norton Canes

BlodwynPig

Whoever wrote "crap" in the comments is going to get a battering. Own up you fucking cowardly, humourless cretin.

HAVANAGILA

Catching up on the 4th November episode last night, I was pleasantly surprised to see ex-CABber Tim Worthington (of the Looks Unfamiliar podcast) making an appearance for the Darksiders:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000b1nh/only-connect-series-15-9-gladiators-v-darksiders

Feel sorry for "An sandwich" guy.

Ambient Sheep

My new favourite website!  Thanks, Gurke!  Can't believe it's been going eight years or more and yet I'd never heard of it until now.

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 22, 2019, 02:42:16 PM
OK... come and have a go if you think it's hard enough

Fairly easy, apart from "sexyback" (wut?) and the fact that it didn't accept "fuck" as an answer for one of the groups. ;-)

I must have a go at making one myself but I'm under no illusion that they're easy to do.

Why this isn't a thread about current episodes of Only Connect? That's what I expected. How bout that "Actors with hard to pronounce names" part of Missing Vowels this week? I got Shia LaBeouf right.

Cerys

Today I unexpectedly introduced the sprog to Only Connect.  She really liked it.  Unfortunately she doesn't like VCM's jokes, and it's putting her off watching.  What should I do?

bgmnts

Reward her for being wise and beyond her years and having good taste.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2019, 12:15:12 AM
Reward her for being wise and beyond her years and having good taste.

And what should she do with her daughter?

Cerys

I could explain to her that the jokes are meant to be cringeworthy, but she also doesn't like cringe comedy so that's a hiding to nothing.  Ah well.

chveik

Cerys

Give her another couple of years and she might. And then a day or so later she will destroy us all as she unfurls her wings.  Her terrible, terrible wings.

Cuellar

Like the idea of Only Connect, can't bear VCM - be good if the questions were asked by an robot or contraption of some sort.

Norton Canes

We have a little game when watching OC - when it starts we watch the titles (screeching along to the two 'ee-eee' bits of course) then when the theme tune finishes I quickly hit 'mute' then watch VC-M, watch her lips move until I think she's finished her desolate preamble, then I have to un-mute just as she says "On my right..."

Cerys

Quote from: Cuellar on November 26, 2019, 01:04:52 PM
Like the idea of Only Connect, can't bear VCM - be good if the questions were asked by an robot or contraption of some sort.

I'm considering putting together a few walls specifically for her.  The walls are her favourite round, and I don't trust you lot.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Cerys on November 26, 2019, 12:35:05 AM
Give her another couple of years and she might. And then a day or so later she will destroy us all as she unfurls her wings.  Her terrible, terrible wings.

I remember when she was just a bump.

A bump with wings, mind you.

touchingcloth

I like VCM. What I don't like is that they start each round with a single clue when the rounds are about forming connections. Two should be the starting point, because I've never seen anyone get it in a oner and I don't like watching the teams whispering manically trying to guess what sort of connections the second clue might suggest rather than just revealing the fucking thing.

bgmnts

It would be amazing if someone guessed it from the first clue. There should be a million pound prize for doing it.

Cuellar

Pretty sure I've seen someone get it from the first clue. Can't remember when or who or what it was though. Thanks.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Cuellar on November 26, 2019, 01:04:52 PM

I think she's lovely.

My one bugbear is why do some people insist on pronouncing hor-NED viper?  What's that about?

Cuellar

Because it's quirky!!! Like drinking gin! And getting everyone to sing songs!!!

What's the fourth in this sequence:

Victoria, Get, In...
?

bgmnts

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 26, 2019, 07:17:08 PM
I think she's lovely.

My one bugbear is why do some people insist on pronouncing hor-NED viper?  What's that about?

That's how the ancient Egyptians pronounced it.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 26, 2019, 07:09:13 PMI've never seen anyone get it in a oner

I have, although not often, and probably quite a long time ago as I've missed several series in the last few years.  Usually it's in round 2 but I think it's been done in round 1 at least once. :-)

I guess back then they hadn't exhausted all the more obvious connections and sequences... for example I think one of the ones I saw was something like "George H. W. Bush" and they correctly guessed "Barack Obama" for the end of the sequence.

I like VCM a lot, and used to like most of her jokes, but in that one recent series I saw, I thought 90%+ of the Waley-Cohen / McGaughey stuff was definite Get In Grave.  It put one of my friends off of ever watching it again.

Who else shouted "Chick chick chicken" at the end of this week's episode?

Ambient Sheep

Not me, as I didn't see it! :-P

Cerys

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 26, 2019, 04:24:36 PM
I remember when she was just a bump.

A bump with wings, mind you.

She's a teenager next week.  I quake.