Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Awful movie titles

Started by thecuriousorange, January 26, 2010, 07:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoverdonkey

Enjoyed the film, but

is a shocking title and put me off it for quite a while

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Horatio Huffnagle.

lipsink

Great little movie. A bit of a shit title.

"Okay, so what I'll do is I'll just adjust this over here..."

SavageHedgehog

Man on Fire was based on a novel of the same name, which had been filmed before under the same title in 1987 with Scott Glen and Joe Pesci.

madhair60

(Whoever tagged Honey I Shrunk the Jews, that made me laugh, so kudos)

Quantum of Solace?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 27, 2010, 03:35:11 PM
The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Horatio Huffnagle.

Dr Magoriums Wonder Emporium

(I can rarely think of one without the other)

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2010, 03:37:43 PM
Quantum of Solace?

Yep, a very clunky title no matter what (perhaps valid) reasonings they gave for it ("It represents Bond's emotional state after the last film!" "We're staying true to Fleming by using one of his titles!")

hoverdonkey

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on January 27, 2010, 03:36:36 PM
Man on Fire was based on a novel of the same name, which had been filmed before under the same title in 1987 with Scott Glen and Joe Pesci.

I didn't know that. Doesn't stop it being a shit movie title though. They didn't have to stick with the name

SavageHedgehog

I agree, that was just a bit of a trivia and an explanation for why they used it, not a defence.

According to IMDB (so, y'know, salt) Man on Fire was a bit of a pet-project for Tony Scott; he wanted to direct the original Man on Fire but he was turned down for not being acomplised enough. Seems unlikely given that he had just directed a blockbuster and they went instead with an unknown named Elie Chouraqui, but who knows.

mycroft

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on January 27, 2010, 04:08:23 PM
"We're staying true to Fleming by using one of his titles!")

I can't wait for when they do 007 in New York which, if there's any sense left in the world, will be a two-hour musical montage of Roger Moore taking photographs of tourist attractions, waving at friendly policemen, and doing that thing where you enter a shop and emerge a second later with bags and bags of stuff, being waved on your way by a cheerful shopkeeper.

Don't forget a shot of one of those WALK/DON'T WALK signs changing.

They're not even trying any more.

Braintree

Not out yet but the long awaited sequel...

Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps

Just ridiculous.

lipsink

Quote from: samadriel on January 27, 2010, 02:23:36 PM
What's wrong with that?  'Squite good.

Really? I thought it sounded quite silly!

madhair60

Stuart says:
I know nothing about this film, but the poster makes me want to see it
Stuart says:
: I
Graham says:
Lol
Graham says:
It's a ninja assassin?
Stuart says:
yeah
Graham says:
A ninja who is an assassin?
Graham says:
Or an assassin ninja?
Graham says:
I mean
Stuart says:
yeah a ninja who assassinates, or a guy who assassinates ninjas
Graham says:
Ninja Assassin

An tSaoi

it reminds me of The Simpsons, when the television network comes up with the name Police Cops.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 27, 2010, 07:55:38 PM

Memorable and accurately parodied by... someone or other (OK, not that memorably) as The Ridicules of Chronic.

They re-released Pitch Black on DVD at the time as The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black. I guess that makes the full, canonical title of the second film The Chronicles of Riddick: The Chronicles of Riddick.

samadriel

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.

Oh, that got taken.  Okay, Freakish Fredney and the Flubtabulous Cheese Fudge Factory.

"Now, we need something that sounds hipper than 'The Occurrence'..."

Imbecilic.

Oh, any attempt to call 'Seven' 'Se7en'.  A seven is not a V.  "Seven" should be pronounced "Seven".  "Se7en" should be pronounced "Sezen", with one's tongue pushing one's lower lip forward from below.

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2010, 03:37:43 PM
(Whoever tagged Honey I Shrunk the Jews, that made me laugh, so kudos)
Yesss.

uncle_rico

Quote from: An tSaoi on January 27, 2010, 12:13:35 AM

I don't know what's more shocking... the title?  Or the fact that the film itself is only rated PG?!?!

The 70's were a more liberal time, weren't they?

boxofslice

I kinda want to see BOSS n**ger now.  How bad can it be?

mycroft

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 26, 2010, 08:30:40 PM

That's a fantastic title!

The sequel's called Get Up and Walk, You Bastard!

Tiny Poster

What's wrong with Boss n**ger and The Perfect Storm?

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: uncle_rico on January 28, 2010, 07:06:18 AM
I don't know what's more shocking... the title?  Or the fact that the film itself is only rated PG?!?!

The 70's were a more liberal time, weren't they?

There was definitely something strange going on with US ratings in the early 70s; the profane and injection-happy Panic in Needle Park was also rated PG, as were the unpleasant rapes of Billy Jack and Outlaw Josey Wales.

Anyway bad movie titles:

And that wasn't some cheapie to fleece grandmas who aren't sure what Disney films look like, that was Filmation's attempt to break into the big leagues with a celebrity voice cast

falafel

Quote from: samadriel on January 28, 2010, 05:42:07 AM

"Now, we need something that sounds hipper than 'The Occurrence'..."
Always reminds me of that Supremes song.

Oh, any attempt to call 'Seven' 'Se7en'.  A seven is not a V.  "Seven" should be pronounced "Seven".  "Se7en" should be pronounced "Sezen", with one's tongue pushing one's lower lip forward from below.
Yesss.

Sesevenen, surely? Sounds like an Austrian fishing village.

Utter Shit

Freddy Got Fingered. But fuck you, that film is fantastic.

Quote from: samadriel on January 28, 2010, 05:42:07 AM
Yesss.

By the same token, how the hell should I pronounce this:

As for The Perfect Storm, it's one of the dullest titles ever. I'm sure that the term perfect storm probably means something in nautical terms, but we don't know what. It should have been called The Wild, Uneven and Unpredictable Storm. A perfect storm doesn't sound like that much of a problem - or even a necessarily bad thing.   

samadriel

"Perfect storm" is a fairly everyday colloquialism, isn't it? (For when everything goes wrong at once in just the right way to cause a disaster). Maybe not that everyday, I guess...

Utter Shit

I would consider it a pretty well known phrase. Not to mention an apt one for that film.