Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Invasive scenes

Started by copylight, January 28, 2010, 01:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copylight

Nobody can and I don't think anybody should recollect a film in it's entirety; but certain scenes do have a tendency to stay with us and play a subjective role in our overall critique of the whole. When thinking about a film in retrospect, a scene strikes to mind and - for me - remains there; I'd like to think that it's a kind of a fine art thing in terms of having a taste or value distinction towards the viewing experience and mind set involved. This argument plays well when the film in question is either ill-received critically or is generally obscure commercially.

Spoiler alert

Upon re-watching The fifth Element recently, I was struck not by the crude oil that drips from Oldman's character's plastic bonce-cap signaling the end of act 3, nor by the Bruce Willis cigarette scenes. It was the fridge scene that I had really taken to heart for some reason, and reconfirmed. It is a superb image but I think of the below still as an artificial archetype - it's a manufactured non-invasive example of the film I had wanted to see.
[close]

In Woody Allen's Sleeper it's not the mutated vegitable nor orgasmatron scenes that are chiefly memorable.
Spoiler alert
I think of the lack of Woody's VW Beetle  & Keaton's tits that played no further role.
[close]

In The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford,
Spoiler alert
not the kill,the smug but well acted Pitt in his rocking chair, mincing his chops while beheading the snakes.
[close]

In Bruges, The pub scene with the pint glasses,
Spoiler alert
not the heroic suicide jump.
[close]

Clone Army

Quote from: copylight on January 28, 2010, 01:59:43 PM
A semiotic device with a Freudian filter that plays such significance in the opening and ending arc of the film.

I do not know what this means.

Anyhow, Agent Smith standing on a tomato is the only thing I remember from any film I've seen the past 12 years. It helpfully signals a jumping off point at which you can stop watching the films since they're shite.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: copylight on January 28, 2010, 01:59:43 PM
Nobody can and I don't think anybody should recollect a film in it's entirety
You've never watched Withnail and I with some students?

Serge

I've never understood why people rave about the 'Funny How?' scene in 'Goodfellas'. It's not even Joe Pesci's best scene in the movie - the Billy Batts bar sequence makes hairs stand up on the back of my neck, for example. But the finest thirty seconds of the movie for me are Robert De Niro sitting at the bar, smoking, and deciding to kill the hapless Morrie.

And it seems I'm not alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmF_Phk6eIE

lipsink

The 'Up In The Air' scene between George Clooney and J. K. Simmons is the last thing I've seen where I automatically think of that when I think of the film.

copylight

Quote from: Serge on January 28, 2010, 11:55:28 PM
the finest thirty seconds of the movie for me are Robert De Niro sitting at the bar, smoking, and deciding to kill the hapless Morrie.

Yep that is good. I'd rank the drug induced tomato sauce scenes as favorites because it signals the collapse of Liotta and is almost Eastenders-like if it weren't for the amazing soundtrack.

Phil_A

So...am I right in thinking the question posed in this thread is basically an extremely pretentious way of saying "Scenes from movies which stand out in your mind but aren't the most famous ones that everyone always talks about"? Or is it more specific than that?

copylight

Quote from: Phil_A on January 29, 2010, 12:45:25 PM
So... "Scenes from movies which stand out in your mind but aren't the most famous ones that everyone always talks about"

Yes but that title is pretentiously long.

I agree with what you're saying. Yes. I have a disclaimer - I was somewhat stoned and it made sense at the time.