Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mass Effect 2 [split topic]

Started by Second Burner, January 28, 2010, 04:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Second Burner

Anyone looking forward to Mass Effect 2 tomorrow?  I even had Mrs Second Burner scanning the shelves in Asda during the weekly shop in case they put it out early by mistake (as they have done with a few titles previously).

The early reviews look promising, but I heard a rumour that there won't be any planetary roving in the Mako?

I'm still certain this game will take over my life for the next few weeks.  Played the first one through 3 times.

HappyTree

Strangely, I'm looking forward to it being "out" but I won't be buying it until it gets to around £15 on Amazon Marketplace. I still have my second "bad girl" playthrough of ME1 to finish. No roving vehicle. Wonder what they've replaced that bit with. A hover bike? A flying, swooping thing? I look forward to playing this game vicariously through all of you as you talk about it over the coming weeks :-)

Slaaaaabs

I can't wait! The reviews and impressions from over the pond are awesome.

If you're like me and moving from playing the original on 360 to the sequel on PC there are saves with pretty much every variation (male/female, good/evil, choices made) on an end-game Shepard here >> http://www.annakie.com/me/home.htm

Quote from: HappyTree on January 28, 2010, 05:14:09 PM
Strangely, I'm looking forward to it being "out" but I won't be buying it until it gets to around £15 on Amazon Marketplace. I still have my second "bad girl" playthrough of ME1 to finish. No roving vehicle. Wonder what they've replaced that bit with. A hover bike? A flying, swooping thing? I look forward to playing this game vicariously through all of you as you talk about it over the coming weeks :-)

No driving at all from what I can tell. For the mining resources you scan the planet for frequencies and fire mining probes to collect them. While scanning you can pick up signals (distress calls, beacons) and land right on top of where you need to be.

glitch

My Collector's Edition arrived this morning. Put it in for about 10 minutes and I'm really impressed - mainly by how this is running on the same hardware as the previous version. It looks gorgeous.

About to do another runthrough with ME1 before I get started though - I didn't do all the henchman side-quests the first time and I want to make sure characters like
Spoiler alert
Wrex
[close]
survive into the sequel.

Also looks like they're going to be patching in a new vehicle called the Hammerhead. I enjoyed the Mako in the previous game, or at least trying to flip it over on the terrain.

Neil

So it also takes your party, as well as the main character you used?  I had no idea, I just started playing it again (I also used an evil bitch, this time), so might try and get back to finishing it.

HappyTree

I find Wrex characters a bit boring. I tend to prefer the magic characters to the brute force ones. And I always play as a woman in games if I can, for some reason. I guess cos I really don't identify with the male stereotypes on games.

I hope the HK-47 robot from KotOR makes a comeback or there's some similar dude in ME2. Best character in a game ever.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Neil on January 28, 2010, 05:32:16 PM
So it also takes your party, as well as the main character you used?  I had no idea, I just started playing it again (I also used an evil bitch, this time), so might try and get back to finishing it.

Nah, some return but the party is mostly different. They do play a part in the storyline though.

glitch

Quote from: Neil on January 28, 2010, 05:32:16 PMSo it also takes your party, as well as the main character you used?

Don't think so, but I wanted to "perfect" my ME1 character (tougher playthrough, mop up all the achievements etc. I didn't do first time round) and take their choices through into the second. Stuff like
Spoiler alert
letting the Council die at the end
[close]
are supposed to have an effect and I didn't want to start the game with a racist Shephard when my character isn't like that. There's some details here although there's another site which lists all the ME1 events that affect ME2, I just can't seem to find it right now.

Quote from: HappyTree on January 28, 2010, 05:43:32 PMI hope the HK-47 robot from KotOR makes a comeback or there's some similar dude in ME2. Best character in a game ever.

I think they tried to write an HK-47 type character into Dragon Age as Shale the Golem. I haven't used him much with my current playthrough though.

chumfatty

Actually I'm quite glad the Mako is out on this one. I liked it as a form of transport but as soon as you started engaging in any combat it became very frustrating bouncing up and down to avoid shots and the crappy controls became crappier when you were dodging and trying to fire at the same time. Looking forward to this, I have the day off tomorrow so I shall get up early and to the shop first thing.

jimmy jazz

First time I get to punch that smug bitch in the teeth I'm going to.

Slaaaaabs

Blooooody hell this is brilliant! Martin Sheen looks proper sinister.

papalaz4444244

1 hour in to "Wrex Is Not Your Lawyer" and it's bloody fantastic.

It's great to see my "Hot Chick" Shepard back in action.

(feel slightly dizzy and I'm hoping I'm not going to the the dreaded motion sickness from this ..... )

Still Not George

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on January 29, 2010, 06:45:14 PM
1 hour in to "Wrex Is Not Your Lawyer" and it's bloody fantastic.
Is that a joke or is there actually a mission called that?

Big Jack McBastard

Oooh it's my birthday shortly, this is on the list.

Clone Army

Has the dialogue system reached the level of complexity promised in the first game's hype or am I going to be choosing between red and blue again?

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Clone Army on January 29, 2010, 07:40:31 PM
Has the dialogue system reached the level of complexity promised in the first game's hype or am I going to be choosing between red and blue again?

Red and Blue are still there but you do get some chances to interrupt a conversation to be an arsehole (or a goody two shoes)

glitch

Hmmm. I might have to avoid this thread for a month, I feel.

Second Burner

Have given this game a good going over in various snippets throughout today, am liking what I see so far!

glitch

Quote from: HappyTree on January 28, 2010, 05:43:32 PMI find Wrex characters a bit boring. I tend to prefer the magic characters to the brute force ones.

But every party needs a tank! And he's a loveable cranky Battletoad!

HappyTree

Still Not George

jimmy jazz

Grunt is a poor man's Wrex. I want my lairy lad back.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: Still Not George on January 29, 2010, 07:25:02 PM
Is that a joke or is there actually a mission called that?
Nah. it was a joke.

papalaz4444244

I regret to report mild nausea after about an hours play.

This is going to take many widely spaced sessions to finish. :(

VegaLA

I'm really quite upset I couldn't get into Mass Effect, especially after everyone here sung it's praises. I started playing with good intentions but think I hit a bug where I entered a transporter thing and the load screen just hung forever. I had to kill the game and start again. I think the destination I selected was actually where I was coming from so I short fused it. Once I tried another location it was OK. I don't think I gave the game enough time but I have the attention span of

Still Not George

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on January 30, 2010, 01:38:37 AM
Nah. it was a joke.
Aw, shame. That would be awesome in a San Andreas kind of way.

Quote from: VegaLA on January 30, 2010, 04:25:52 AM
I'm really quite upset I couldn't get into Mass Effect, especially after everyone here sung it's praises. I started playing with good intentions but think I hit a bug where I entered a transporter thing and the load screen just hung forever. I had to kill the game and start again.
No, dude, it hadn't hung, it just takes approximately 4 years to load the lext area...

Second Burner

Speaking of crashing, has anyone else's crashed while getting pissed in the bar on the Citadel?  Or is Krogan ale so strong it actually cocks the game up on purpose? 

Still enjoying it immensely though.  Am currently attempting to get into Yeoman's knickers on the Normandy.

jimmy jazz

This game is a real step forward. I wonder what colour warehouse i have to shoot all these samey looking enemies in is next time? The normal colour? YES! Let's hope the mining colony I have to go in next is as similar looking as the warehouse as possible to make sure I don't get confused, and let's hope they don't throw any new enemies in my direction.

I'm actually quite enjoying myself

jutl

Quote from: Second Burner on January 30, 2010, 12:31:54 PM
Speaking of crashing, has anyone else's crashed while getting pissed in the bar on the Citadel?  Or is Krogan ale so strong it actually cocks the game up on purpose? 

I've got inextricably stuck in the scenery
Spoiler alert
(some rooty-viney things) on the recycling planet
[close]
. So far it seems slightly less good than the original to me -it was never a great third person shooter and those elements seem to have been extended. Having said that I liked the
Spoiler alert
"spending a year dead for tax reasons" Douglas Adams reference you get on arriving at the Citadel.
[close]

jimmy jazz

What do people spend their money on? I've been playing night on 20 hours now and have realised I haven't actually spent any.