Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lost - Season 6 [The Final Season]

Started by Ja'moke, February 02, 2010, 07:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

As recommended in the other Lost thread, here is a brand new thread so we can discuss the episodes after they air, without having to trawl through eight pages of theories, recaps, spoilers and fanboyism.

Spoilers

-After the latest episode has aired in the US you are free to talk about it openly in this thread, no need for spoiler tags.
-Any news, rumours or previews related to future episodes that have yet to air must be put in spoilers tags. Preferably this information shouldn't be posted in the thread at all.
-You are allowed to post your ideas and theories, just make sure that they are based on what we have seen so far and not rumours or spoilers you have read relating to upcoming episodes.

And that's pretty much it. For those watching on Sky1 it's probably best to avoid the thread until after the episode has aired on Friday night.

The two-hour premiere starts tonight on ABC and I cannot wait! Have fun Losties.

TotalNightmare

...and in i walk in to the new thread... Better make myself comfy... That's better.

I reckon the above terms of the thread agreement is amicable to me, i approve! I literally won't be able to touch this thread until i've seen each new episode... that's going to be a bugger.

Anyway, to recap my recap about the recap
http://chud.com/articles/articles/22369/1/LOST-THE-REWATCH-COLUMN-A-RECAP/Page1.html

If you simply HAVE to play catch up

Artemis

Thanks, Ja'moke. I also think those terms are suitable. I'll generally be watching Lost on return from work on Wednesday evening and should be done by around 8pm. That said, I'm on holiday right in the middle of the season so I'll miss three episodes on the trot - bliss when I come back, but a nightmare while I'm away!!

I've spent time today trying to put my excitement into some kind of perspective so my hopes aren't raised too high, but I still can't wait.

Custard

It is like Christmas Eve, it must be said.

purlieu

I just finished Season 5 half an hour ago, so I'm pretty stoked.  Agree entirely with the guidelines here.  I'm actually getting an early night so I can be up first thing to spend a while searching for a download link.

TotalNightmare

Ooh - also to add alongside that Chud.com link... Entertainment Weekly's website runs a pretty great Lost article along side the broadcast of the show.

The 2 guys who run it also put out a video show (including interviews with the cast, a few gags and thoughts and musings) and the first of which for S6 is now up... well worth a punt.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/02/02/totally-lost-season-6-premiere-ben-locke/
Warning: A few spoilers, but in that 'what do they mean?' way... nothing to ruin your enjoyment of the show

Ja'moke

Quote from: purlieu on February 02, 2010, 11:08:16 PM
I just finished Season 5 half an hour ago, so I'm pretty stoked.  Agree entirely with the guidelines here.  I'm actually getting an early night so I can be up first thing to spend a while searching for a download link.

EZTV is your best bet for a link. I'll get up early to download it, then probably head back to bed (Wednesday, luckily, is my free day from Uni) and it'll hopefully be ready for when I wake back up. Then breakfast, shower, watch the episode, listen to the Jay and Jack Lost Podcast (this has become a tradition) and then see what the reaction is on here. 

Ginyard

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 03, 2010, 12:14:49 AM
EZTV is your best bet for a link. I'll get up early to download it, then probably head back to bed (Wednesday, luckily, is my free day from Uni) and it'll hopefully be ready for when I wake back up. Then breakfast, shower, watch the episode, listen to the Jay and Jack Lost Podcast (this has become a tradition) and then see what the reaction is on here.

I've actually switched some work I was supposed to be doing tomorrow to friday just so I can indulge. How sad cool is that?

Now if only I could get some shut eye....

Rev

Just over 10 minutes to go!  I'm watching a live stream, and fully expect the level of advertising I'll be subjected to over the next two hours to do my tits right in.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Rev on February 03, 2010, 01:48:08 AM
I'm watching a live stream, and fully expect the level of advertising I'll be subjected to over the next two hours to do my tits right in.

Me too.  Posting this during a commercial.  I miscalculated my times and at first was disappointed at having to wait an extra hour and sit through a "the story so far" type show but I'm glad I watched it as I was probably a bit rusty on some of the info.

TotalNightmare

That 'story so far' episode was really well put together and gave just the right amount of info to bring people up to date - and judging by the plot of this series, a perfect get in point for newbies too!

Also - where are you watching it live and streamed? eh? EH?! you filth?!!? ANSWER ME!

FILTH!

JesusAndYourBush

Just after I sent you the pm the stream died.

"Content from this channel removed at the request of the copyright holder. This channel will be accessible again in 24 hours."

Fucknuggets!

EDIT: Ah, check the first url I sent you, there's a new link there now.
... which worked for 20 sec and also died.
... the 3rd link on the page works!

TotalNightmare

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 03, 2010, 02:32:55 AM
Just after I sent you the pm the stream died.

"Content from this channel removed at the request of the copyright holder. This channel will be accessible again in 24 hours."

Fucknuggets!

odd, gave it a try (to see if it worked, im more about saving it for the finale) and it was playing for me (ive now seen 19 seconds of it and feel filthy). Im waiting until my flatmates get home tomorrow before we can watch it though - those stupid selfish working bastards!

Rev

The yankers are working overtime!  Just about got through the first episode with several switches, but bugger shuffling about during the second one.  Give it two hours and and it'll be up on the newsgroups.

JesusAndYourBush

Yeah I'm watching again now.  Ads on now, part 2 about to start.  I'm particularly annoyed that the stream died right before an important piece of dialogue which I couldn't hear properly in the crappy version, now I'll have to wait for the download (which I'd have been getting anyway).

Rev

Managed to get back on one in time, and without having to scurry about again.

I'll keep this spoiler-free at the minute, because we'll still have people stumbling in at this point, but I wasn't massively impressed with the second episode.  It felt a bit like mid-series filler until the final stretch, if you get me.  You could see the ending coming a mile away, and it sets the rest of it up in a direction that I really hoped they weren't going to take, inevitable as it was.

JesusAndYourBush

A good season opener but I'll reserve comments until people have a chance to download it, plus I need to rewatch it anyway as there's about 20 min I missed in part 1.

Rev

As I've now finished downloading it for a re-watch, I am tempted to say 'screw those guys', but we should really hold off for the clusterfuck that will come tomorrow.

A brief post-match interview that, obviously, shouldn't be read until after viewing:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/02/02/lost-premiere-damon-carlton/

Ja'moke

I've watched it now, and am going to talk about it very briefly, so be warned if you haven't seen it yet.

I loved it - the temple set was amazing, nice to see Deadwood's Sol Starr too, he was playing the translator. I liked the alternative reality stuff, but I can see it becoming tiring if it is used too much, but for this episode 'it worked'.

I'll talk more in depth later after more people have watched, I want to touch upon Richard's past, the MiB, The Spring and underwater world. 

pk1yen

I set my downloads going before uni this morning - when I got back, I discovered I'd run out of space half way through and it'd stopped at 133mb. The catchup episode was fully downloaded though, weirdly.

Anyway - I just finished watching it after a re-download -- I really, really enjoyed it.

I'll wait a wee while until others have had time to watch until I ask questions.

Ginyard

OK, just finished the first episode. Good strong opener. I particularly enjoyed that under the sea bit and the Smokey slaughter, although, unusually, I found the acting a bit ropey for the first part, especially from the guy who plays Miles.

I'd love to watch the rest now but the water board are installing a meter and making one hell of a noise about it so no can do.

purlieu

I thought that was utterly fantastic.  A whole new direction and an interesting one at that.  Notes I made during the episode:

So the Monster is the man in black.  That wasn't obvious or anything.

What the bollocks is going on with the two timelines?  Two universes? 

Charlie 'supposed to die'?

Why was Demond on the flight?

Who's the asian dude in the temple?

Where has Christian's body gone?

Where is 'home'?

Squink

I enjoyed it mostly, but the revelation that there are yet more people living on the island, apparently undetected until now, seems implausible. Especially as there were so many of them. Or did I miss something and they weren't on the island until this point?

purlieu

Evil Locke asked Richard if "this is everyone" when taking them to see Jacob in Season 5, Richard answered "some are still at the temple".

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Squink on February 03, 2010, 03:44:29 PM
I enjoyed it mostly, but the revelation that there are yet more people living on the island, apparently undetected until now, seems implausible. Especially as there were so many of them. Or did I miss something and they weren't on the island until this point?

Aren't they just another group of the 'Others'? The flight attendant Cindy was with them.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Squink on February 03, 2010, 03:44:29 PM

They have been referenced in the past, they are other Others that are located at the Temple. Ben told his Others to go join them at the Temple in the Season 4 finale.

One thing that jumped out at me was the Temple itself, it was similar in structure to a Mayan temple, definitely not Egyptian, yet the scripture and hieroglyphics seem to suggest Ancient Egyptian roots.

My favourite lines of the episode:

"Sorry you had to see me like that." - After MiB/Fake Locke transforms in to Smokey and goes on the rampage. (I called the MiB/Smokey been one in the same back in the other thread, yes I know many others did too, but still.)

"So you're the monster?" "There's no need to resort to name calling."

"He grew tired of my company." - Jacob describing why he was killed to Hurley.

"I want to go home." - That entire speech by MiB/Fake Locke was brilliant.

"Nice to see you out of those chains Richard." - A definite clue to Richard's link with the Black Rock, and being a prisoner on board it. I was wondering if the Japanese (?) guy was also a prisoner based on his disgust for the English language, if he was a slave and his masters were English it would make sense.

purlieu

The scene with the monster attacking Bram and such leads another question: the ash around the cabin, was that to keep someone in or out?  And who broke it (as seen in S5)?

TotalNightmare

Oh. My. God.

Typical, Lost gives with one hand and takes with the other. Again, i'm not going to blow too much until friday eve, but in response to the one major plot point ("screw you guys" - im talking about it) i think the biggest clue was in the reference to the book, "Everything Rises Must Converge" that Jacob is reading when he meets Locke after the fall.
I believe that no matter what happened after the incident in 1977, it must have sunk the island, causing a time ripple that got all those folk on the airplance - but without the crash. I think we are seeing these 'Flashsideways' for one of two reason - either that the Losties will all converge and get back to the island, for it is their destiny OR that its to show how far the characters have come and developed since the crash and we see how it all pans out in the 'whatifuverse'.
I'm so erect right now, i may need a toffee hammer to help me hide it.

JesusAndYourBush

I've not used spoiler tags as per rules of the thread.  Surely people who haven't seen the latest episode know better than to read a Lost thread after the show aired?

Some speculation and random thoughts...

Why weren't they blown to bits by the bomb (and why didn't it cause the reset they expected)?  When the bomb went off the timeline changed and all the Losties stuck in 1977 were instantly transported back to the present day (or 2007 or whatever it is).  Although it wasn't a complete reset some things have been changed.

"That's the Swan hatch after Desmond blew it up".  That's wrong isn't it? - it's just the aftermath of the bomb going off - we saw Sawyer climb down the shaft to get to Juliette so we know the hatch wasn't completed.  Could it be that the Dharma timeline has been drastically changed?

The scenes on the plane.  I don't think it's a parallel universe. I think it's a flash forward to some time later when they will manage a proper reset.  Some things are different... Desmond is on the plane, Michael isn't, Hurley's demeanour etc...  People will put that as evidence it's a parallel universe, but a bomb going off in 1977 would have a larger effect than just putting them back on the plane and the plane landing safely,  think the butterfly effect, small things create ripples.

Smoke monster Locke said he wanted to go home but couldn't then we went to commercials.  Presumably Ben asked him "Where is home?"
during the commercials because I sure as hell would have asked that but in true Lost style people don't talk about stuff so the viewer is kept dangling.  Where is home?  Is the smoke monster an alien?

"Esau"/Man In Black is the same entity as smoke monster/Locke, yes?  If Jacob is another of his kind then why did he die so easily?  We saw a flattened bullet implying that bullets just bounced off "Locke".  Could Alpert be another?  That would explain why he didnt age.

Maybe all the dead people Hurley saw (and other people saw) were all created by the Jacob/smoke monster.  But Hurley saw Jacob after he was dead so that vision would have to have been created by smoke monster Locke?

People will say that Sayid coming back to life might be a manifestation of the smoke monster but I say no to that.  The smoke monster doesn't reanimate corpses but creates it's own manifestation, remember we have the body of Locke and a manifestation of Locke both existing at the same time.