Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:52:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien Vs Predator [split topic]

Started by Hobes, February 04, 2010, 11:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobes

My first impression of the AvP gameplay isn't good and it looks like a dog too.

falafel

I'd offer an opinion as well if I hadn't given up trying to find a game after half a fucking wasted hour.

Quote from: falafel on February 04, 2010, 11:23:13 PM
I'd offer an opinion as well if I hadn't given up trying to find a game after half a fucking wasted hour.

I'll send you an invite to a game if you want.

VegaLA

Is ANYONE enjoying AvP ?
I'm starting to feel like spiteface after a Sonic release.

falafel

Quote from: thehungerartist on February 05, 2010, 12:31:33 AM
I'll send you an invite to a game if you want.

Maybe if you're about tomorrow. I had to stop because I needed to go to bed to get some sleep so I'm not my usual zombie self at work tomorrow morning. I mean this morning. Oh.

Although if you're not PS3 we may not be compatibabible. What's your.... what's the word, 'handle'?

Quote from: VegaLA on February 05, 2010, 12:33:47 AM
Is ANYONE enjoying AvP ?

Took a few matches to adapt to using a pad after years of keyboard and mouse but I'm enjoying it.

Pleasantly surprised by the Marine's controls, the Alien will probably be most difficult to master and the Predator jump is really cool and easy to perform. I think it's a bit hasty to be slating the graphics on the strength of a deathmatch map.

Quote from: falafel on February 05, 2010, 12:54:18 AM
Maybe if you're about tomorrow. I had to stop because I needed to go to bed to get some sleep so I'm not my usual zombie self at work tomorrow morning. I mean this morning. Oh.

Although if you're not PS3 we may not be compatibabible. What's your.... what's the word, 'handle'?

I've sent you a PSN add (think Wondershowzen character). It was a bit of a shambles earlier but there are plenty more online now... they've got a fortnight to get the servers sorted.

glitch

Oooh don't say bad things about AVP, I'm getting worried now ;_;

I'm certainly not disappointed with it so far - my only gripe was the connection problems.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: glitch on February 05, 2010, 02:04:00 AM

It's best to be prepared for big disappointments. You could always pretend you're playing a last gen game when the time comes.

AsparagusTrevor

I already pre-ordered the Hunter Edition with the facehugger model. Please don't let it be shit. The Alien and Predator franchises can't be that easy to fuck up, surely? I know Paul Thomas Anderson managed, but he always tries his hardest to squeeze out a pungent cinematic log with every film he 'expells'.

MojoJojo

Now first Predator Film was good. Alien and Aliens were good.

Has anything good been made as part of either franchise since then? One of the early AvP games was supposed to be good, but I missed it.

chand

Quote from: glitch on February 05, 2010, 02:04:00 AM

I don't quite understand why people were so excited by it though, it's being developed by Rebellion, whose most recent notable games were Shellshock 2: Blood Trails and Rogue Warrior, both of which were complete failures that got critically panned (Shellshock 2 was one of those ones where they didn't send the review code out until it was in the shops, and all the games mags stopped talking about it in the 3 months or so leading up to its release). Those two games currently have scores of 35% and 27% on metacritic respectively (PSM3 describing Rogue Warrior as 'total fucking garbage', IGN gave it 15% and described it as "Completely bankrupt of any value whatsoever", and Play gave it 9%, calling it "One of the worst games ever made").

I played the demo and it was alright actually, it looked bobbins but there may be fun to be had there, I'm more interested in the single player modes though.

AsparagusTrevor

The first AvP games, including the first PC one, were made by Rebellion and they were brilliant. I only ever played the Jaguar game on an emulator since I wasn't one of the 5 people who actually owned one, but AvP was ahead of its time.

The first PC game was a great, shit-inducing FPS, with an excellent unique mulitplayer. The AvP2 for the PC was also an awesome game, that one was made by Monolith and had a slightly different feel to it. That's the reason I'm excitied for the new AvP, I suppose I hope AvP is where Rebellion are at home.

I've noticed a lot of people say it looks shit. What format are you guys playing on? The screens and videos I've seen look brilliant, I'm guessing they must be from PC on highest possible graphics settings running on DX11 and all that shite.

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 05, 2010, 10:02:54 AM
Now first Predator Film was good. Alien and Aliens were good.
Has anything good been made as part of either franchise since then? One of the early AvP games was supposed to be good, but I missed it.
I thought Predator 2 and Alien³ are decent films, not amazing, but decent.
You can get the AvP PC game on Steam for a few quid, and it's well worth it. The graphics haven't aged well obviously, it's an 11 year old game. The characters are very angular and the textures of course are lo-res, but the lighting is still surprisingly good. The gameplay is still brilliant, it doesn't feel old to play.

jutl

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on February 05, 2010, 12:39:59 PM
The first AvP games, including the first PC one, were made by Rebellion and they were brilliant.

...and let's not forget Rebellion's most recent classic.

Hobes

My first match was as a marine, and I must admit that it was suitably tense and I felt pretty helpless, blindly firing at the blips on my movement sensor. I can imagine the single player might be quite good. The graphics were functional and not anything special. My overwhelming sense was that it was a poor choice of demo - there is no tutorial so outside of the marine which is a generic fps (albeit with very authentic sounds - the machine gun fire is spot on which made me smile) you really don't know what you're doing. From what I played the aliens had the advantage which is surprising because I thought it would be the predator (and should be) but all the other predators were probably trying to work the buttons out.

Where this game will sink or swim is in the co-op and other mutliplayer options. Deathmatch doesn't suit the style - marines should work together in packs (I know the railguns and turrets are in so that is promising for setting up perimeters and working together). Apparently there are modes where there are marines vs aliens, and one predator which changes every round - this would probably be awesome. I just think deathmatch was a bad choice for the demo. If they'd done the inevitable tutorial sections for the marine, alien and predator as the demo, it might have left people wanting more.

Big Jack McBastard

Is there not a marine focused Aliens game out shortly?

I'm more damp for that myself.

samadriel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens:_Colonial_Marines  By Gearbox, who have a rather good rep.  I've only played their Half-Life expansion, which was okay.

Had a bit of a chuckle running around as the alien in the AvP demo earlier, even scored a kill or two.  Damn disorienting, but I like stabbing people with the tail. I wouldn't buy the game (well, maybe if it still has a following post-bargain-bin... I just don't give that much of a shit for online FPSes), but it doesn't seem like an enormous travesty or anything.  Graphics were fine too, if un-spectacular, but I am running it at top quality on PC.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Is this AvP demo only multiplayer? I don't have much interest in that sort of thing.

samadriel

VegaLA

Gave AvP a quick run in last night.
The setting was very Doom I thought. I played as a marine and got nowhere fast. I was hoping I'd be hooked from the start but no, it did not gel with me straight away. Still I did enjoy the Blip sound on my radar, which did put me in the mindset of Bill Pullman/Aliens which made me smile.
After reading Hobes post I'll give this more time. I really want it to work for me and the possibility of working with a team against the Aliens would be more my cup of cocoa but I think the campaign is where this game is going to shine, like other has said the DeathMatch was a poor choice of Demo.

Spiteface

Quote from: VegaLA on February 05, 2010, 12:33:47 AM
Is ANYONE enjoying AvP ?
I'm starting to feel like spiteface after a Sonic release.

That would depend on which Sonic Release we're talking.

If this is me after Sonic '06, then my feeling was of having my spirit broken, by a similarly broken game (A clearly unfinished Beta, even. Blame Microsoft for that one).  Looked weird, and it had a bestiality storyline to boot (the romance between Sonic and Princess Elise)

I still maintain Sonic Unleashed was a positive step in the right direction.  Although it was based in the "real" world (all the levels were based on locations around the world), it had a real cartoony feel to it that I loved.  The gameplay felt like Sega had actually put in the effort.  I actually finished that one with a good feeling.

So, the AVP demo indicates a disappointing game, then?  I'm not actually arsed with multiplayer though.

chand

I tend to get bored of online multiplayer games quite quickly, tend to do a couple of matches and then go do something else. Playing MAG a bit recently and it's pretty good but after a while I get tired of dying, respawning and sprinting back to the dying area again. I'm pretty good at single player shooters where I'm heading to an objective and can take my time, knowing that for the most part that I've cleared the area of bad guys so the next ones are going to be ahead of me. In multiplayer I never feel like I have time, there's always a pressure to try and rack up kills as quickly as possible so I'm always bombing it round corners and getting sniped in the head.

Although still wringing as much play out of this as possible, the fact they've released a multiplayer demo so as to forge an online core prior to the game's release has me thinking that the story mode will be playing second fiddle. In the original game(s) story mode was King and the online play just prolonged the games' shelf-lives.

That said, I'm a bit massively looking forward to species v. species v. species team deathmatches. If the online play gets anywhere near the PC/GameSpy days then Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 can just chomp winnits.

falafel

Though it might just be a new trend: the first Uncharted demo was the multiplayer after all, so fingers crossed they've looked at their recent record and thought 'ok, let's surprise everyone here'... Maybe...

AsparagusTrevor

I've played the demo for about an hour, everything seems to be in order, it hasn't made me disappointed really, although I agree multiplayer was the wrong type of demo to release. Hopefully they'll get a single player demo out before the release.

Some things are a bit hard to get used to, like the alien's auto-wallclimb even when it's disabled in the options. There were a few times I just wanted to drop off a ledge, but the alien crawled under it instead. The marine moves very slow too, they need to speed him up a bit. The marine is just fucked really, with the alien and predator's instant kills the poor sod doesn't stand a chance really.

chand

Quote from: falafel on February 06, 2010, 08:04:45 AM
Though it might just be a new trend: the first Uncharted demo was the multiplayer after all, so fingers crossed they've looked at their recent record and thought 'ok, let's surprise everyone here'... Maybe...

Yeah, Uncharted 2's multiplayer was a big deal because it wasn't in the first one, but the story mode was still the main focus of the game.

It definitely improved once I'd worked out the Predator's controls/visors but the whole thing feels very sluggish, no matter who you play as. The sound effects almost drew me into that world but I don't believe that hand-to-hand ever feels right in first-person. It's just a mashfest.

Jemble Fred

More than anything else, this game reminded me of the 15-year-old old FPS 'Hexen' – the really basic jagged scenery and free first-person movement gave me constant deja vu.

AsparagusTrevor

It does have a kinda sluggish quality, I think that's a side effect of trying too hard to be cinematic, and also the slower pace that comes with console FPS, which has been carried over to PC too. They've gone the route of making the character feel weighted, which works for games like Condemned and Mirror's Edge, but I think a fast reflexes shooter like this needs to go back to basic 'floating camera' controls like UT and the old AvP games.

It still looks promising, I think these are issues I'll get used to.

VegaLA

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on February 06, 2010, 11:26:12 AM

It still looks promising, I think these are issues I'll get used to.

It does have that big fuck off disclaimer at the start of the demo that states it is an older version so fingers crossed they are aware of the faults and have already ironed them out for the final release. Bit of a bad move as a demo though as some people will write it off already. I really want this to shine so i'll be reading what the reviewers have to say in the run up to the release.